Author Topic: Our first session  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Our first session
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
This week I finally got my game off the ground!  It's been a long time coming, and I've tried to draft several campaign settings before finally settling on what I wanted to do.

In the end, I just decided to let them make characters, give them a situation to deal with and see where things went from there.  I normally do so much better while winging things anyway.

And I think the campaign could be described as "A Gnome and a Goblin went into a bar..."

RMSS, by the way.  The PC's are a gnomish Mana Molder, and a Goblin swashbuckler.
(Yes, its a small group, but you work with what you got.)

The game opens with each of the pc's being ambushed, someone waylays them and snaps a black hood over their heads.  Later, they are in cages with several other people of different races, as well as a few caged large animals.  Two hobgoblins come in, pick out the two pc's, throw some rusty weapons at them, cheap armor, and force them out into an arena.  It's a moderate crowd, but an excited one as the two face off against a wolf.

Within the first few rounds, the gnome decides he allocated his weapon skills wrong, gets the wolf's attention and gets ko'd.  The goblin, on the other hand is doing his best to deal with the thing on his own.  Neither one are scoring a whole lot of damage, but they are consistent.  Then he scores a stun result on the wolf, and things begin to turn around.

The gnome regains consciousness, and starts to remember his spells.  Due to a mistake in bookkeeping, he manages to cast a spell that toasts the wolf pretty thoroughly, earning him the kill EP's.

Then comes the escape.  They fight their way out of the pit, steal a wagon parked outside, and head off into the desert.

This was my first time really GMing rolemaster, and I think things went pretty good.  It was also the gnome's first real campaign (he's helped me in the past with mock combats to learn the rules), and the goblins first RM game ever.

So mistakes were made.  Like the gnome having Fire Law (I allowed him to switch so he would have something useful at besides his mana warriors), and not realizing he couldn't cast 4th level spells yet.  I missed it too.  The fire wall was fun, though.  He also has the mind attack list (granted as a part of a TP), and made extensive use of the Jolts spell.  The goblin player had a great time as well, even though we did need to spend more time looking up spell results than his tricks in the fight. 

I think I may have managed to create a couple of converts. 

The last time I ran a game it was that 'other' game that everyone talks about so much, so I was surprised at how much tougher a basic wolf was.  So we all learned a bit.

Next time we play, they'll be approached by someone with a business proposition.  We'll see if they'll be willing to help start a war...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Our first session
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »
Sounds like everyone had a good time!
Realizing game mechanic mistakes in-game is nothing new for us. Sometimes I allow changes on the fly, sometimes the players are forgiving when I slip up.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Vector Z

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:24:05 AM »
Congrats on your launch!

And congrats on your mistakes as well. It's normal to make at least as many mistakes as successes, but you've got your priorities straight (ie, everyone had fun) :)

Yeah combat in RM is way different from that other game, you really have to think twice before you dive headlong even into a "basic" fight. A good thing, I think ;)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
I think I did pretty well considering how little prep time I actually had.  I literally scanned the creatures and monsters book for something not too unusual with as low a level code as I could find.  Then decided a housecat would not make for a very interesting pit fight.  Slap the minis down on an old map I got from an issue of Dragon..Instant arena battle!

Now that they are out of the arena and on the run, I can create fairer scenarios.  The ideas are already bubblin' around in here.  Who knows, maybe we can avoid combat altogether next time. (of course, that's up to my players...)

I just wish I could run every week.  This group is only together for about half the summer, and the guy who plays the goblin wants to run Hero 6th, so we're switching out.  That won't be a whole lot of sessions to do much with.
No, further than that...

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
House cats are in the book for a reason.
Don't underestimate them.  :)

IMHO, there should be a 10%/crit letter of contracting a blood poison/disease form cats. Toxoplasmosis is nasty..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
  Cat scratch fever? I do not know if that is Toxoplasmosis but it is a Ted Nugent song so it has to be a bad thing. BTW I like Terrible Ted myself.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
I've used cats before.  When I ran DnD, I filled a dungeon completely with mundane creatures after one of the players started playing 'monster trivia'. 

After finding that herd (gaggle? posse? murder? what is the proper term for a group of wild housecats?) in that tower, they learned that it didn't have to breathe fire or paralyse you to be a threat.

Then I sprang the Manticore on them as they were leaving...
No, further than that...

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:21 AM »
The phrase "about as successful as HERDING cats" would imply that a group of housecats probably shouldn't be referred to as a Herd.

In fact, the "official" term for a group of housecats (feral or otherwise) is a "Nuisance" (applied when the cats are actually active :) :) :)

Admittedly there are others:
Purely feral housecats? - A "Destruction" of Cats  >:(
Housecats sprawled langourously over every surface - a "Clutter" of housecats (also called a "Clowder" or "Cludder")  :cat:
Same housecats after you try to move them - a "Glaring" of housecats   >:(
(as the saying goes, actually getting them to move is impossible - you can't herd cats!)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
Yeah you can.  You just need a water hose!
No, further than that...

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
Yeah you can.  You just need a water hose!

Shotgun works better cuz you only need to move them once, ever.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
True!  So you see, you can herd cats.  You just have to think laterally to do it.
No, further than that...