Author Topic: Guild Companion February 2011 (#144)  (Read 3492 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Guild Companion February 2011 (#144)
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:10 AM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion

The February issue (#144) is now available at http://www.guildcompanion.com

In this month's issue, we have FIVE new spell lists for Rolemaster (Bone Enchantment, Chaos Theory, Lake Ways, Skeletal Ways, Staff of the Magi), a new Undead monster, and the latest news from the General Editor and Guild Companion Publications Ltd.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Guild Companion February 2011 (#144)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
Stepping down. Sad, yet understandable and thus also happy in a way. :o
Those footsteps are going to be difficult to fill - still whoever takes over, he takes over a great position and a great ezine! Good luck, and Nicholas, enjoy your retirement! ;)

Great Words from the Wise once again. I really enjoy reading all the news on the different products.

Haven't had time to look at those spell lists but they sound EXCELLENT for a GM like me. ;D Definitely a good idea to spend a bit more thought on necromancer spells!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »
The Spell lists were interesting  I liked them all, except maybe the Lake one.  That was fun to read though.

Sorry to hear you are stepping down Nicholas, be interesting to see who is next.
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
You’ve managed to pull a hobbit out of your departure from TGC. I’m impressed.

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
Thanks for all of your hard work on TGC over the years, Nicholas. I've been a reader almost since the start, and I remember avidly reading it during 2000-01 when things were grim for ICE and it was almost the only support for the game out there.

Look forward to seeing where you and the team take ICE in the future.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
The Spell lists were interesting  I liked them all, except maybe the Lake one.  That was fun to read though.

Glad you liked the spell list...well most of them  ;)

Lake Ways is very campaign specific. The 'Ladies of the Lake' are a kind of local god, tied to ...well, lakes. The spell list is designed for their followers so that they may interact with the Ladies and their source of power. In the campaign I run, I have also modified the 'Earthblood' lists to match lakes, to better represent using rivers and the lakes themselves rather than lay-lines and nodes.

I have a lot more material that will hopefully make it into TGC and for the astute readers amongst you, the Death Critical table (Death criticals mentioned in Bone Enchantment list posted in February) should be up soon.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Nice can always use more crit tables.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
Thank you, Nicholas, for the good work you have done and for the good work you are now to do.

Having read the spell lists, I am now ready to comment on them. I'm going by the PDF versions, so if there's some variance in the HTML version, not all notes may apply to that version. Minor edits included in case the author decides to do a revision at some point.

Staff of the Magi: Eh? This is the one that puzzles me the most. "Archmage Base List" -- the whole thing about the Archmage was not having fixed base lists, and there are existing magic staff lists, should he want to choose one as one of his base lists. So, the motivation to create this list eludes me. That said, level 8 "Charge Staff", should really have a different name, since it is entirely unlike the Alchemist spell of that name. Perhaps "Energize Staff"? In the last sentence of that spell's description, "durations" should simple be "duration". Better yet, the entire word may be removed as redundant. Level 19, "Life Store", is missing the apostrophe in "caster's" and the second mention of "Life Essence Levels" is missing the capitalization of the second and third words.

Bone Enchantment: This is a nice thematic list, but it also has some spell naming issues. Level 11, "Bone Casting True", and level 75, "Lord Bone Casting"/"Bone Casting True", are the first two spells in question. "True" spells are supposed to be the highest form of that spell, while "Lord" indicates level 20. Therefore, the list entry for the level 75 spell should be changed to match the "Bone Casting True" given in the spell descriptions, while the 11th level spell should be changed to something like "Improved Bone Casting" or "Greater Bone Casting". Next consider the level 14 spell, "Skeletal Visage True". There is a "Lord Skeletal Visage" placed properly at level 20, so the "True" label again is misapplied. I suggest "Terrible Skeletal Visage". The final spell I would comment on is level 18, "Ring of Bones". The description tells us that this spell "Allows caster to enchant a single bone... usually carved and crafted from a single bone". The redundancy here should be removed, but it also suggests that the spell name should actually be "Ring of Bone".

Skeletal Ways: Several spells give their duration in "min/lv" rather than the standard "min/lvl". The last listing, for "Lord Skeleton Army" needs fixing. The Area of Effect for levels 2, 6, 9, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, and 30, should be listed a "1 target" rather than simply "Target" or "Target(s)", or better still, levels 2, 9, and 18 should have an Area of Effect of "1 Skeleton". The duration listed for level 7, "Skeleton Warrior" is listed as "-", whereas the description clearly states a duration of three rounds. There are persistent failures to capitalize parts of monster type names starting with all the "1 Minor skeleton" mentions from level 3 on, and expanding to include several modifers (e.g. "greater") in the level 13 & 25 descriptions. Although I generally like these skeleton-based lists, the level 11 spell, Skull Bomb, is one I'd likely replace. It just seems more like something a Spider-Man villain would use rather than a fantasy element. That's purely my subjective opinion, of course, but there it is. Level 50, "Skeletal Army" should read "may raise a vast army of Skeletons" rather than "may summon" such an army, since the skeletons are not actually summoned.

Chaos Theory: The Chaotic Interpretation spells are asymmetrical in their effect. Was that intentional? One more percent is added to the open-ended high range than to the open-ended low range. To make them the same, for example, "Chaotic Interpretation I" would give "91-100" as the extended open-ended high range. The scaling on the numbering is also off, in my opinion. Chaotic Interpretation I adds 5 to the open-ended low range, making it 01-10. "Chaotic Interpretation II" adds 15 to the open-ended low range, making it 01-20. I would call that "Chaotic Interpretation III" and likewise change the other spell names in this series to keep the numbering consistent with the size of the first step. "Random Perceptions" is described as causing synesthesia. I would rename as such, as more a more interesting spell name. Level 5, "Chaotic Null", and especially level 30, "Accentuated Chaotic Null", seem counter-thematic to me.

Lake Ways: This spell is the one most likely to be of use to me, as it would convert with minor modification to be a RMSS/FRP Priest list. The terms "radius" and "diameter" are used, but unless your lakes are all circular, these need to be defined. My interpretation of "Lake Store" would require you to be touching the water, but that is perhaps not what is intended. Level 11, "Lake Gate", and level 17, "Lake Speech" state distance is not a factor, but should be specific as to whether they can operate across different planes. "Lady of the Lake", other than one instance in Arthurian lore, has no reason for sexism as a spell for general use (although apparently there was reason in the home campaign). A "Lord of the Lake" makes as much sense, in the general case. Finally, the note on Call Blade spells states that "Each Lake may only yield one such blade at any time." Does this mean ever or for each caster? If it means ever, then the spell can be used preemptively to gather all the Lake Swords and deny them to anyone else. Perhaps there should be a limit of one blade per caster, so that you must return your blade to the lakes before summoning a new one?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:11 AM »
Thank you very much for the feedback, rdanhenry. Now that you have pointed out the minor grammatical errors I will be sure to make the changes you suggest.

Staff of the Magi should read "Arcane List", not "Archmage Base List". I had found that the various, existing staff lists seemed to hold more of the flavour of the existing classes, especially Druid Staff and that a new list was warranted with a much more 'Arcane' feel. Also you may have noticed that all of the lists in this collection contain only spell adders, or in the case of the Staff list a reservoir of power points. This is intentional as my campaign does not contain any power point multipliers. "Charge Staff", I agree, a name change is required.

Bone Enchantment: Yes, in most cases Lord and true are the other way around. I will look into this in my edit. I do like "Terrible Skeletal Visage"

Skeletal Ways: I like your descriptor for "Skeletal Army" and it will replace my own. Yes, capitalization does need correcting, I am fully aware that proper nouns need capitalization..."rdanhenry" (I had to get that one in).  ;) As for the "Skull Bomb" spell, I can see your superhero link, but I have seen these used in play in various circumstances and not once has any link been made by my players, so I do feel kind of vindicated.

Chaos Theory: Asymmetrical is the key here. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but after a fair bit of play testing the asymmetrical nature of the maths of this list made it more...choatic. Chaos Lords now have a means to spread choas, for better or for worse  :) Now on to the spell naming of the various "Chaotic Interpretation x" spells; my players hate, in fact they absolutely despise the lack of order to spells that follow your reasoning. They feel that the spells should follow the logical order of 1,2,3 etc. However, that said, I much prefer your own reasoning and this list, as well as others I have written follow the lead of my players and their take on logical progression, rather than my own, traditional perspective.

Lake Ways: Hmmm...Perhaps some clarification is needed, I can see how radius and diameter are specifically suggesting circles, I will add a disclaimer in the notes. "Lake Store" does indeed mean touching the water. Different planes are not a factor in my campaign, so it was not deemed necessary to limit the unlimited, however in other campaigns, these spells are not intended to be used across planes. You are quite correct in the gender specification, it is campaign specific, in fact "Lord of the Lake", sexist or not, does not feature in my interpretation of this list. My campaign world itself could be viewed as sexist (and racist) by some, but rather than being exclusive to any single group it lends itself to the overall equality and diversity of the experience, i.e., most of the Knights, Lords and Barons will simply not speak to the leader of the party, a female (my RL wife), and generally Humans hate the Fey, for no other reason other than race. yes, one blade per caster is intended and needs to be clarified.

On a final note, I really have to say that your comments are absolutely fantastic. I appreciate your input very much and I am looking forward to much more of it in the near future.

Lez Johnson.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:52 AM »
Hmmm...Perhaps some clarification is needed, I can see how radius and diameter are specifically suggesting circles, I will add a disclaimer in the notes.

Perhaps "average" or "nominal" would do it. Or just a note at the top of the list saying that "radius" and "diameter" in this usage refer to mean/average/nominal distance from center to shore, or shore to shore, and is not meant to imply that the lake must be round. Not having gone over the list myself, I don't know what issues there may or may not be applying the spells to narrow, snake-like lakes in dammed mountain valleys, or oxbow lakes, or hourglass lakes with a narrows in the middle.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »

Perhaps "average" or "nominal" would do it. Or just a note at the top of the list saying that "radius" and "diameter" in this usage refer to mean/average/nominal distance from center to shore, or shore to shore, and is not meant to imply that the lake must be round. Not having gone over the list myself, I don't know what issues there may or may not be applying the spells to narrow, snake-like lakes in dammed mountain valleys, or oxbow lakes, or hourglass lakes with a narrows in the middle.

Well, after giving it a little thought, I suppose we could go for area using square feet or even volume (cubic feet), but I don't want to overcomplicate things too much, despite this being RM2 ;)
As for the odd shaped lakes (if any lake can be considered a normal shape) I would make the ruling as a GM that these would be fine so long as they fell into my own perception of what a lake is. I have found this definition as to what a lake is (considering size):
Lake: an inland body of usually fresh water, larger than a pool or pond.
So, it's bigger than a pool or pond, but no mention of shape  :)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
As for the odd shaped lakes...
The reason I specifically mentioned those particular shapes is because:

1. In mountain valleys, comparatively long and narrow lakes that mimic the shape of the valley will be very common, pretty much everywhere except glacial cirques. This is generally caused by creeks and rivers being dammed by beavers, rockslides, blowdowns, debris flows, etc. Spirit Lake near Mount St. Helens is a good example.

2. Anywhere near a river that cuts through alluvial soil, oxbow lakes are nearly certain to be present, and are likely as not not be the only kinds of lakes you'll find at all in such an environment. A casual glance at the lower Mississippi will show you this.

3. In hills or mountains, "bog lakes" are typical any place the slope of the watercourse becomes very shallow, and for that matter can be (and often are) created by beavers. Often you'll get "chains" of round bog lakes. If 2 bog lakes in a chain formed close together, erosion will probably eventually connect them, thus turning them into a single "hourglass" lake, 2 round lobes with a narrows between them.

Really the only places where round lakes are the rule rather than the exception are in nearly flat terrain (bog lakes, cirque lakes, plateaus, permafrost and perhaps post-glacial shield terrain), and places where a limestone substructure causes sinkholes.

Well, after giving it a little thought, I suppose we could go for area using square feet or even volume (cubic feet), but I don't want to overcomplicate things too much, despite this being RM2 ;)
I agree with not wanting to overcomplicate things, which is why I suggested "radius" be defined in this usage as center-to-shore distance, and "diameter" as shore-to-shore distance, both regardless of shape. Depending on the nature of the spells, you might further define it as center to near shore, and near shore to far shore, relative to the position of the caster. However this produces an apparent inconsistency in that, in context of a mountain lake 100' wide and a mile long, if the caster is along one side "radius" is only 50', whereas the same caster dealing with the same lake but standing at one end has "radius" as half a mile for the exact same casting.

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
Generally if you're going to define irregular shapes by edge-to-edge distance, you use either the shortest distance or the longest distance. Average typically becomes very complex and you'd really be better off using area at that point.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »
Nicholas;
 Congrats on acquiring more work. Bummer that you do not have enough time left for the project you put a lot of hours into and probably some blood, sweat and tears.
 Good Luck on what ever you do.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.