Author Topic: Playing a band of minstrels  (Read 909 times)

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
Playing a band of minstrels
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
I made the mistake of telling my gaming group (6 of us) that I wanted to run a HARP campaign. They decided to all be bards (still don't like the name "Harper") and all siblings. They really don't seem keen on traditional adventuring and are roleplaying being a traveling family band pretty well. They've even begun compiling real songs that they want to play and real bands they want to model themselves after. I do throw in the occasional haunted ruins and more "traditional" encounters to keep it interesting (for me), but they're all about playing shows and scoring (a few of them).

I have a big "Battle of the Bands" adventure coming up, but I've been struggling with finding a way to resolve how well their songs go and how well each gig turns out. Our latest method is each one rolls their particular music skill (playing an instrument, singing, dancing, etc.), I average their scores, and then I look up the result on the "Artistic - Active" static maneuver chart I found in one of my old RM books. It seems to work out pretty well, but I think I need to add in modifiers for the mood of the crowd, musical tastes of the crowed, etc.

Has anyone else ever run a campaign with bards or ever play one to this extent? And does anyone have any hints, tips, comments, or warnings?

Thanks.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Playing a band of minstrels
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
Never tried anything like it before but you could add off-stage contests, between the violinists 'n others. Have them make skill challenges against your bards or set a value to break with their roll, to move to another round.

And as a kicker for those contests and for the big band contest have them face people like Maras and especially Dirges, sort of undead bardic liches. So, their skills will not only be excellent but also will their songs be depressing, causing stress and maybe turning those "rock"stars into manic depressive drug addicts. Also quite a challenge to tackle if you want to save the band.

Bring in a Succubus as a groupie, sex with them makes a man go insane, also quite a drawback for the band as a whole.

Maybe also someone with a skill rank stealing instrument.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
Well, you could turn the "Battle of the Bands" into more of an "American Idol" (or whatever nation they are in) type contest. That way they have to deal with the judges egos, amorous advances, greed, etc.. It wouldn't just be about the music. Also, sabotage from other contestants could come into play. Oh, oh! How about a romance between one of the PCs and a competitor? Could cause tension within the group. Perhaps the nation they are in is currently suppression its population, and the players witness terrible abuses. Maybe they would write and play songs about rebellion and anti-authoritarian actions.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:48:13 AM »
First of all; you have some funny friends! Would love to sit at that table!  :D

I thinking you could introduce a NPC, which seems to be the perfect manager. He has the contacts, social skills and money to back them up. However, as thing progress he turns out to be all about the money, not about the art. He might leverage them to sell out musically, he might be skimming from the income. He might even try to persuade the PC with the highest appereance to go solo.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!