Author Topic: Useful books for RM2/RMC  (Read 2658 times)

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Useful books for RM2/RMC
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
I'm new to GM:ing RM2/RMC but I have played for many years.
I would like to know what books are the best from the GM's point of view ?

So far I got:
Character Law, Spell Law, Arms Law.
RoCo 1-5,7 (haven't got my hands on VI... yet)
Combat screen
Creatures & Treasures 1,2

Should I try to find Campaign Law ? What about Elemental Companion ?

*Edit This should probably be under RM2/Classic/Express, can a Moderator please move it ?

Offline damilano

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • No, the REDS are tens.
Re: Useful books for RM2/RMC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
Campaign Law is a VERY worthwhile read.
What do you mean, you didn't buy the Perception skill?

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
Character law HAS campaign law included. it is the grayed out part of the book (RM2)

If you new to GMing RM2, drop the companions. Focus on the basic rules/concepts till you get familiar with the system. Adding all the companions will overwhelm you, especially if your players are pulling fast ones from them.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »
Campaign Law is available as a PDF in the ICE Online Store.  Buy the PDF of RM2 Character Law.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
Campaign Law is available as a PDF in the ICE Online Store.  Buy the PDF of RM2 Character Law.

Aha! Thanks ! :)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »
Though, as said above, I suspect you already have it.

Do you have the red border cover book circa 1989?

Rolemaster: Character Law & Campaign Law

is how most people read the title, but it's actually

Rolemaster, Character Law & Campaign Law

3 books in one. .  .which you can tell when you got to the Table of Contents.

If you have an older, just "Character Law" version, that's a different matter.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
So there seem to be a consensus ,the one book you really need as a GM is campaign law, sounds reasonable but a I find it a bit strange that there is no such book for RMC  :o
I have The RMC Character Law, don't know what's supposed to be in Campaign Law but I doubt it's in there. Finding just the campaign law book proves difficult but I'll keep on searching. I'll probably buy the pdf from here but I'm old school  I want books  ::)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:17:55 AM by AbleKain »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »
So there seem to be a consensus ,the one book you really need as a GM is campaign law, sounds reasonable but a I find it a bit strange that there is no such book for RMC  :o
There was supposed to be a Campaign Law for RMC. ICE even approved an outline and the group working on it turned in a manuscript. At that point, ICE realized that it (ICE) had made a mistake when it approved the outline, because nobody (neither ICE nor the group of authors) had even considered the possibility of including material regarding modern ways of playing (forums, chatrooms, etc..).

So, ICE asked them to start over from scratch, but also gave them the choice of backing out as well. Most decided to back out of it at that time. And those few left tried real hard but were not able to produce a new outline that ICE liked (I don't consider it to be anybody's fault - I think that perhaps everybody left, including ICE were perhaps a little burnt out by this time), so the project was put on hold until we either had the time to devote to it or until somebody else submitted a proposal for it that ICE liked.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
I have The RMC Character Law, don't know what's supposed to be in Campaign Law but I doubt it's in there. Finding just the campaign law book proves difficult but I'll keep on searching. I'll probably buy the pdf from here but I'm old school  I want books  ::)

Get the RMSS/FRP Gamemaster Law. You'll find all the Campaign Law material in there. Don't let the book's RMSS/FRP branding scare you off. There's not a lot that is RMSS/FRP-specific. The Campaign Law material works for either.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme