Author Topic: Undead and essence  (Read 2469 times)

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Undead and essence
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
It says in SL that it's the personal essence field that makes beings able to manipulate (cast magic) and to resist magic effects. Does this mean that undead too have personal essence fields ? If no what do they have instead ?

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Undead and essence
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:46:17 AM »
Tough question.. ::)

It says in essence companion that "The essence is that which is common to all thing, living and dead" (page 5). So that shoudent rule out undead. Then again, in C&M we may read "Undead have no “life force”"(page 114).

I guess what force initially creates the undead would be important in this respect. Undead are created by spell users from the realm of channeling, rituals and by beeings making contact with other undeads. Thus the "first mover" responsible for the existence of these creatures are (always?) channeling magic. Channeling derives it's power form deities, which is not essence. Therefor, no essence in undeads?

Hmm.. I suspect someone will point out some flaws in this reasoning.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:26:18 AM »
[errata=
RMC Spell Law, Page 144]
The Essence is that which is common to all things, living and dead, organic and inorganic. It has been characterized by many names — the Tao, Magic, the Unified Field, etc., and represents a force and order which defines the ways of the world. Changes in the patterns of the Essence dictate the flow of events, and the course of life itself. It is a power beyond the grasp of any being.
[/errata]

Does this mean that undead too have personal essence fields ? If no what do they have instead ?

Personal essence fields? Do you mean for casting spells?

Some undead can cast spells, so the simple answer, taking into account the above quote, would be yes.

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »
[errata=
RMC Spell Law, Page 144]
The Essence is that which is common to all things, living and dead, organic and inorganic. It has been characterized by many names — the Tao, Magic, the Unified Field, etc., and represents a force and order which defines the ways of the world. Changes in the patterns of the Essence dictate the flow of events, and the course of life itself. It is a power beyond the grasp of any being.
[/errata]

Does this mean that undead too have personal essence fields ? If no what do they have instead ?

Some undead can cast spells, so the simple answer, taking into account the above quote, would be yes.

[errata=
RMC Spell Law, Page 144]
[/errata]

OK so now I know, it's Essence, not some unknown form of anti-essence.
It started out when i read the part about your gear was also inside your personal essence field, so then I started thinking what about undead ?
If they had no essence field then you could for example set a vampires clothes on fire without any RR and that would be way too easy... ;)
Thank you for your answers

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
In the Shadow World boards, we discussed anti essence as essence with a "reverse polarity."  Essence, yes, but twisted and certain to lead to madness.  Undead and their ilk are such magics.

Just an idea.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.