Author Topic: Arms Law or 10 Million Ways to Die?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Arms Law or 10 Million Ways to Die?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »
So I'm planning to set up an RMSS game, and in doing some of the prep work, I stumbled across my copy of 10 million.  I always filed it away as "like Arms Law, but even more generic."

In the past, I always preferred having one attack chart per weapon.  You know, I'll have a copy for my warhammer, while the monk over there has a sheet for his wakizashi (and old weird ed over there keeps the nodwick table on hand...).  However, I have to teach the game to a new crew who have never even heard of Rolemaster (and thankfully not heard the false bad reputation it has).  And as a result fewer tables might be a good way to go. 

So I'm looking again at 10 million and noticed a few things I like.  First is that the attacks are broken down into category, and at the bottom of the charts are all of the appropriate modifiers to differentiate the various weapon types. 

For those who don't have the book: Dagger and Short sword are both on the light one-hand bladed weapon table, but the dagger has a maximum result of 125 and the sword 150, do different crits, and the dagger gets a -5 OB modifier vs. the swords +0.  Which means the rolls will be similar, but the dagger will do a bit less damage, as it should be.

Now for the armor types.  First, all twenty armor types are listed, but in fine print.  Instead the armor is divided by category Heavy or Light plate, Heavy or light chain, etc.  It also includes modern armor (which I probably wont be using for a while). 

So it looks to me like it would be easier to provide armor types and weapons that are different from normal using these rules.  An example might be dragonscale armor.  You might count it as light chain.  Or if you want a Tonfa, use the light one hand concusion table, and maybe give it a different OB modifier.  It also includes firearms tables that work from the earliest blackpowder days all the way up to blaster rifles (of which I also won't use much, but its nice to have).

Seems like a big advantage to me (though I suppose on reflection it isn't that big of a deal).

So now my question:  How many here use 10 million ways to die instead of Arms Law, and why (or why not?)
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
Re: Arms Law or 10 Million Ways to Die?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
Funny you should mention this, I've just got myself a new copy and think it may form the heart of a generic RM/MERP like system that I can use for my next stint of GMing....

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
 I do not like 10MwtD but that is just me. I like the 1 chart 1 weapon with some specialization concept.

Now for new players it might be good and later give them the option to change if you and they want to. It will also be easier to take a few of the basic charts photocopied to the game instead of having to run off the charts at the game if you have a printer and the PDF, or making copies from the hard copy.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »
Indeed, Mark,  that is one of my house rules.  No matter what book we use, the players have to keep a copy of the table for their primary weapon with their character sheet.  Secondary weapons are optional but recommended.

I like 10 million because it has everything there and anything that isn't isn't too hard to add in. 

Of course it also has star trek and star wars weapons in it...(and babylon 5, and battlestar galactica...) ;D
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »
  Yes it has a lot of stuff in there. But I can say that that is the one book I do not own that ICE produces.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
I prefer TMWTD.  Those fire arms tables make great attack tables for giants, dragons, constructs, etc.  The versatility of criticals beats the pants off how they did it in the original AL and current edition of AL.

A solid book.  It also speeds up combat; less tables to reference.  The future AT's are easily inserted into the game, be they as futuristic armors, magic armors or AT's for special beast.  AT X is Wicked Good.

I recommend TMWTD for everyone.  Great book.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.