Author Topic: Stalking activity percentage  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stalking activity percentage
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:55 AM »
I just want to check that I'm interpreting these rules correctly.

RMC Arms Law has Stalking as a minimum 50% activity.

Stalking (as a MM) normally allows movements upto a distance of half walking movement x MM result.

If allocating less than 100% activity to Stalking (say I want to Stalk and unsheathe a dagger), would I reduce base movement (say to 80% of walking movement x MM result) or impose a -20 penalty on the Stalking check?

I prefer the first option - but which is the 'official' method?

John

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stalking activity percentage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
See the section on Simultaneous actions...

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
But what is the significance / meaning of the Minimum 50% activity requirement?

Simultaneous actions may allow combined actions at lower percentage, but regardless of this - if I spend less than 100% activity on Stalking what are the rules implications: reduced distance covered; penalty to stalk MM; nothing?

SOrry for being dim...

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »
Minimum 50% activity -- this means that IF you are going to be stalking, that at least half of your focus/energy for the round has to be put into the action of stalking. (50% means moving at least 1/4 of your BMR).

I can only give an example of what I would do.

Stalking and Drawing a Dagger -- Personally, I would allow both of those actions with only a minor  reduction in distance traveled.

For example (presuming a successful staking roll), if your character had a BMR of 80'/rnd, and you were stalking, you BMR for stalking would be 40'/rnd. In the round in which you drew the dagger, I would normally just say that you only traveled 35' that round, and leave it at that.

The exception would be if there were difficult terrain or other special factors that might cause a stalking failure. In such cases, I might penalize the roll as well when trying to something else because the attention devoted to drawing the weapon silently might be enough to cause a failure in the stalking (i.e. make him stumble or stub his toe and make a noise that alerts those he is attempting to stalk past, etc..)

Very situational, IMO...

What the activity percentage system attempts to do is to give you the tools that you need to be able to better handle such tasks/situations on the fly, and with as little muss and fuss as possible.