Author Topic: Yet another question  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Yet another question
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
 :-[

Are the modifiers to combat for position (flank, stunned, down etc) applicable to missile and thrown weapons too?

The old MERP system made it clear that these bonuses did not apply.  Perhaps the reason for this was: firing at moving targets means that there is no 'fixed' position to target; missile attackers do not usually have to parry - so their OB is higher (subject to armour).

MERP was, of course, a stripped down version of RM2.  What is the official position for RM Classic/X?

Thanks again

John.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Yet another question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
Well, I cannot speak towards MERP, having never played the game.

Are the modifiers to combat for position (flank, stunned, down etc) applicable to missile and thrown weapons too?

What is the official position for RM Classic/X?

The official position is that yes, those modifiers apply to all weapons, since those modifiers are based on the condition of the target, not of the attacker.

I just did a quick scan of the books and didn't spot anything that says otherwise. If somebody can point out a specific passage that does, then I would have to revise the official position. (no, I don't have the books memorized.. hehe)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »
I think that's correct also. If you're dazed and standing there with stars circling your head, it's easier to hit you. . .

The only comment I'd make there is that being prone/down might either put you behind cover or conceal you from view (laying down behind a 1' log will completely cover you, and behind 1' grass will completely conceal you.)

I find that in most situations being down/prone ends up being a benefit vs missile fire as a result. The recurring exception being that it sucks to be downed in the middle of an empty street by a sniper in a window, but most of the time the result is more like "Target goes down and dissapears from view behind XXX."
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
Just a comment, but it works best if you put the general subject of your question into the title of the thread, so that people know at a glance if they want to even read the thread. It also helps if someone 3 months from now is about to ask the same question and sees "Do position and stun affect missile fire" so they can just pull up your question and the answers. (It also makes the "search" function of the board work better). Once "Yet Another question" makes it down into the older pages or archives, it's doubtfull many people will find it due to it's generic title.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »
Thanks for comments - note sensible point re searching.

Cheers

John