Author Topic: Number of attack spell attemps  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Number of attack spell attemps
« on: November 30, 2007, 04:06:32 AM »
In RMFRP A-9.17.3 we read that we can try one time per lvl (of course for the same target), but for the other we can read, I think is really one time per rank in list (if you fail you can only try again if develop a new rank).

This (limited number of attemps) is clear for some spells, as 'remove curse', but I suppose that this could be used as general rule for all attack spells, for example when you try to 'unsymbol' is the same, 'dispell magic', or even a simple 'sleep' could have this limit to evade the infinite attemps until it works.

This could be very important for low level characters, for example, in first level, a sorcerer could try a 'sleep V' spell once, twice or 3 times depending on their ranks, but if it fails, that can be a serious problem.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Number of attack spell attemps
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 06:57:50 AM »
As a general rule for all attack spells, this limitation is too harsh IMO. We also don't limit a fighter to one swing per opponent until he develops another rank  ;). But there are some spells, like the Unsymbol example you gave, where such a rule makes sense.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
We also let cast attack spell multiple times on the same target, even if s/he resists. We use the limitation only for spells like "uncurse" or "dispel": if the target resist, then the mage cannot cast again the same spell on it until he gains a level.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:30:53 AM »
Note that the limit to the number of uses usually only refers to dealing with a spell or skill (i.e. Attunement) that deals with OTHER spells or magic items.

There should be no limits on the number of times an attack spell can be tried on a given target.

Offline Bazooka Bob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
One explanation I read but don't recall where, once the target resists a particular spell from a particular magic user, that spell will not work or attempt to work on the target by that spelluser until the spelluser attains another level.

Personally, I would allow a second attempt but add an additional RR modifier in favor of the target to resist the spell again.

There's no problem that can't be handled through the proper use of high explosives.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
One explanation I read but don't recall where, once the target resists a particular spell from a particular magic user, that spell will not work or attempt to work on the target by that spelluser until the spelluser attains another level.

Personally, I would allow a second attempt but add an additional RR modifier in favor of the target to resist the spell again.

IIRC, there are a couple of spells like that, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 03:39:24 AM »
add an additional RR modifier in favor of the target to resist the spell again.

That is a good idea, increasing the resistance lvl by 1 every failed attemp.

Offline Bazooka Bob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
It should easier for the target to resist the spell if the same spell user continues throwing that spell at him.
There's no problem that can't be handled through the proper use of high explosives.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
Why?
Using the same logic you should receive a bonus to your DB each time you dodge a firebolt...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 08:05:35 AM »
It should easier for the target to resist the spell if the same spell user continues throwing that spell at him.

You are thinking of resisting a spell as being an active action, but it isn't. It is a passive function. It happens with or without conscious input from the character.

Now, the character can deliberately lower their resistance by overtly accepting a spell, but even this does not remove that innate resistance completely.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 08:24:47 AM »
add an additional RR modifier in favor of the target to resist the spell again.

That is a good idea, increasing the resistance lvl by 1 every failed attemp.

Seem pretty much the same as giving automatic success. The raised difficulty for one level more mean little compared to being allowed multiple attempts.

From my point of view the rule exceptions for attunement and information spells is needed becuase you will with such have a unlimited number of tries. Repeated attack spell is really not problematic since the target will notice what you are up to and attack you.
/Pa Staav