Author Topic: Express Additions suggestion  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Express Additions suggestion
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »

Certain products, like many of the RM Companions had multiple authors and we do not have contact information for them (especially, not after 10-20 years).

Well, you have my contact info now and I am personal friends with two other contributors to RoCo VII, as well.

I have started reworking some of my old material to better fit with RMC.
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
Well, you have my contact info now and I am personal friends with two other contributors to RoCo VII, as well.

I have started reworking some of my old material to better fit with RMC.

Well, make sure to contact Nick then. TGC has the exclusive rights to reproduce any and all RM2 Companions that ICE does not have full ownership of.

I am presuming that you were an author for RoCo VII, like those 2 others you mentioned. If that is the case, Nick only has to track down 24 more authors before he can reproduce it in its entirety.  ;D

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »
lol Tim.  In its entirety.  As if it would be worth the effort. 

There were several spell list I enjoyed in Comp VII, like Bubble Magic, Fey Magic and innate list for undead and dragons. 

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
One would hope, I guess, that it would happen largely without effort expended by ICE or GC themselves. Of course, that's not entirely likely, but if Setorn brings himself and two others, without being searched out, maybe it'll happen at least in large part.

I wonder if some of the authors don't even know that the rights have reverted to them because of the bankruptcy, depending on when they dropped off the radar. Some could even be dead by now.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
Here's a suggestion for another Express Addition.

To go along with the simplified skills and combat system, a single roll for spell casting (similar to what was done in the old RMC I guess) would be awesome.  Then all the major resolution systems could be resolved with a single roll.

;D

Oh, here is something else that would be nice, something that I think has been missing in all versions of RM and Harp:
Benchmarks for attributes.  What does a 100 Me represent?  What is the difference between a 70 and an 80?  Why is a 101, 102, etc so much better... what do they represent?  Just something I would have always liked to see.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:08:10 PM by Tywyll, Reason: Added Thought »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 01:56:42 PM »
Spell resolution is currently single roll (for the all but the elemental attack spells). The caster only makes 1 roll.

Or were you talking about combining the caster's roll and the target's roll? That would be slightly problematical.

The only way that I could see something like this working, is if it were something like the following (this is off the top of my head -- coming up with it as I write it):

Defender RR = 75 + Racial RR Mod + Stat Bonus + Level; caster has to make casting roll (caster has skill in list - normal skill progression, plus stats, list known to number of ranks in list) and meet or beat targets RR number...

Thus a 5th level Dwarf with an Empathy stat of 90 would have an Essence RR of 120 (75 base + 40 racial + 0 stat [+10 from the 90 & -10 from racial mod] + 5 level).

And if a caster knew the Dispelling Ways list to 8th level, he would have 8 ranks (+40, and if his Empath Stat and Re stat bonuses were both +10, and he was 8th level, that would give him a bonus of 58 (40 ranks + 10 stats + 8 level). The caster would have to roll 62 or higher (adjusted by normal casting modifiers) when casting a spell from the list in order for it to effect the target.

Tywyll - you wanna play test that for me, and let me know how it works? If it works okay, I'll add it as an Express Additions Option.

Benchmarks -- kinda hard to do when each race and creature uses that same 1-100 scale from the frog to the dragon. The numbers are relative only for a single race (or related group of races).

Next EA will contain a LOT of Shadow World races statted up for RMX --  about 44 of them. Plus a few other things. The issue after will begin a series of Conversions for using RMX with Cyradon.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 05:47:38 PM »
Spell resolution is currently single roll (for the all but the elemental attack spells). The caster only makes 1 roll.

Or were you talking about combining the caster's roll and the target's roll? That would be slightly problematical.

The only way that I could see something like this working, is if it were something like the following (this is off the top of my head -- coming up with it as I write it):

Defender RR = 75 + Racial RR Mod + Stat Bonus + Level; caster has to make casting roll (caster has skill in list - normal skill progression, plus stats, list known to number of ranks in list) and meet or beat targets RR number...

Thus a 5th level Dwarf with an Empathy stat of 90 would have an Essence RR of 120 (75 base + 40 racial + 0 stat [+10 from the 90 & -10 from racial mod] + 5 level).

And if a caster knew the Dispelling Ways list to 8th level, he would have 8 ranks (+40, and if his Empath Stat and Re stat bonuses were both +10, and he was 8th level, that would give him a bonus of 58 (40 ranks + 10 stats + 8 level). The caster would have to roll 62 or higher (adjusted by normal casting modifiers) when casting a spell from the list in order for it to effect the target.

Tywyll - you wanna play test that for me, and let me know how it works? If it works okay, I'll add it as an Express Additions Option.

Benchmarks -- kinda hard to do when each race and creature uses that same 1-100 scale from the frog to the dragon. The numbers are relative only for a single race (or related group of races).

Next EA will contain a LOT of Shadow World races statted up for RMX --  about 44 of them. Plus a few other things. The issue after will begin a series of Conversions for using RMX with Cyradon.

I'd love to give it a try.  I'll see what I can do :)

I'll let you know what comes up.

Thing about the attributes, it does get weird, so maybe the benchmarks could be based on total bonus rather than attribute number?  That way you don't have to explain why the difference in 100 and 101 is so much larger than, say, 70 and 71. 

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »
A few suggestions for future Express Additions.

-Extra stats gaining system by spending DPs (Maybe it's rather needless for level 1-10?....as those fixed stats for RMX seem sturdy enough for the low level characters, compared to the random generating system of RM2/RMC and the 660 point-buy system of RMSS/FRP).

-Race specific or campaign specific traits gaind by spending DPs. I think they can add some fancy flavor to Shadow World or Cyrdon campaign.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
A few suggestions for future Express Additions.

-Extra stats gaining system by spending DPs (Maybe it's rather needless for level 1-10?....as those fixed stats for RMX seem sturdy enough for the low level characters, compared to the random generating system of RM2/RMC and the 660 point-buy system of RMSS/FRP).

That is a possibility. I will keep it in mind.

-Race specific or campaign specific traits gaind by spending DPs. I think they can add some fancy flavor to Shadow World or Cyrdon campaign.

Well, wouldn't this be covered (the campaign specific traits) by the Adventure Rewards rules in EA #2? And it could easily be tailored to be used for racial traits as well.

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 07:38:08 AM »
Well, wouldn't this be covered (the campaign specific traits) by the Adventure Rewards rules in EA #2? And it could easily be tailored to be used for racial traits as well.

Oops, I forgot to check it up. Thanks for reminding me of it. :P