Author Topic: Express Additions suggestion  (Read 7839 times)

Offline Akrasia

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Devout Epicurean
    • DailyAkrasia
Express Additions suggestion
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
I don't know if Rasyr (or anyone else) has time to do this, but I think it would be great to see RMX/RMC versions of some RMSS classes, namely, the dabbler, magent, and paladin.

(One of the things that I liked about RMSS is that they got rid of three professions that nobody ever really played -- alchemist, seer, and astrologer -- and replaced them with three rather nifty semi-spelluser classes.)

8)
Akrasia: literally, "bad mixture", the Greek term for the character flaw of incontinence or weakness of the will, the condition in which an agent is unable to perform actions that are known to be right.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Express Additions suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:04:23 AM »
I don't know if Rasyr (or anyone else) has time to do this, but I think it would be great to see RMX/RMC versions of some RMSS classes, namely, the dabbler, magent, and paladin.

(One of the things that I liked about RMSS is that they got rid of three professions that nobody ever really played -- alchemist, seer, and astrologer -- and replaced them with three rather nifty semi-spelluser classes.)

8)

The Delver, Nightblade and Paladin return in Rolemaster Companion I

The Champion, Venturer, and Magister appear in the Combat Companion.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:08:42 AM »
That's Champion, Venturer and Elemental Warrior (the name Magister got changed at playtester request).

;D

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
When is RMI coming out?
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
Oh can a sticky of what all the abreviations are be posted?
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Akrasia

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Devout Epicurean
    • DailyAkrasia
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »

8)

The Delver, Nightblade and Paladin return in Rolemaster Companion I

The Champion, Venturer, and Magister appear in the Combat Companion.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Sounds good.   :)
Akrasia: literally, "bad mixture", the Greek term for the character flaw of incontinence or weakness of the will, the condition in which an agent is unable to perform actions that are known to be right.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:32:03 AM »
When is RMI coming out?

Once all the artwork is in and the layout is complete.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
PETITION:

Raysr,
At least, introduce Paladin to RMX/RMC in coming Express Additions, please.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
Raysr,
At least, introduce Paladin to RMX/RMC in coming Express Additions, please.

Not likely to happen.

ICE does not own the rights to Rolemaster Companion I, so I could not give you that Paladin. You have to wait for The Guild Companion to rerelease RoCoI to get access to it.

I wrote a profession called the Champion, kinda like a generic Paladin that could be used for any deity, for the Combat Companion (i.e. I did 3 combat-oriented semi-spell using professions for CC). I don't want to spoil it by providing it early.  ;D

2)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »
Yet RMFRP has a paladin, so why can't a paladin be presented in that fashion (with six base list, not 10 to pick amongst)?

Just curious.  I wanna paladin, I just make a fighter, a talent such as ordained by god XXX, Social Status, Able to enforce common law, etc, and give the spell list I think he should have, with no level/profession bonus for OB skills.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »
Yet RMFRP has a paladin, so why can't a paladin be presented in that fashion

Just curious. 

The idea is to not step on The Guild Companion's toes, or introduce something that I am already planning on doing in a different manner than is done in RMFRP (stepping on my own toes).

If you, or anybody else, wants to port the RMFRP Paladin to RMC, that is fine and dandy. And I have no problems with that. However, there won't be any official port of the Paladin.

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »
Then, I'm looking forward to the Combat Companion as well as RoCoI ;)

THANKS.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
Yet RMFRP has a paladin, so why can't a paladin be presented in that fashion

Just curious. 

The idea is to not step on The Guild Companion's toes, or introduce something that I am already planning on doing in a different manner than is done in RMFRP (stepping on my own toes).

If you, or anybody else, wants to port the RMFRP Paladin to RMC, that is fine and dandy. And I have no problems with that. However, there won't be any official port of the Paladin.

What about 'Arcane' Professions/spell lists, since they first showed up in RC1?

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
I've asked about that before, I think (also about the Black Reaver, which was in the first Rolemaster Companion). I don't recall what the reply was precisely, but it seems that the 'arcane' idea is certainly OK. I guess that a spelluser that looked exactly like a Companion I spellcaster might be problematic.

As for Paladin, there might be room for a different sort of Holy Warrior, I guess? If it were sufficiently different to the other Paladin (and didn't a different paladin reappear in a later Companion, too?).

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
The concept of Arcane is just an idea. The actual implementations in either RM2 format or in the RMSS form as Arcane Companion aren't currently available.

As for the Holy Warrior, you'll get the Paladin back in the refurbished Rolemaster Companion I and the Champion (Tim's take on a more generic spell-using channeling warrior) in the Combat Companion.

Patience :-)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
Humm...
It seems odd that the idea of 'paladin' which is nigh universal in RPGs could be denied/copy righted. 

So what is the situation with ICE and the Guild?  How does ICE not have the rights to their old stuff?  I obviously missed a chapter in the companies history.  Is this from back when they went bankrupt?

Just curious.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 10:18:11 AM »
It isn't the concept of "Paladin", it is the implementation.

And my reasons for not wanting to do one in Express Additions is simple, doing so steps on the toes of other things that ICE (and The Guild Companion) have going on. That simple. It is already being done in 2 different ways in 2 different products. Doing it a third time is just plain silly.

And yes, it is back from when the old ICE went bankrupt - remember, we are not that same company as that old ICE.

Due to the bankruptcy, ownership of much of the IP returned to the authors. That means that for ICE to republish or re-use material from those products, we, the current ICE, have to purchase it from the authors.

Certain products, like many of the RM Companions had multiple authors and we do not have contact information for them (especially, not after 10-20 years).

ICE has made a deal with the Guild Companion. If they can track down and get the authors to agree to sell their rights to ICE, TGC gets to publish the product (It is a bit more complicated, but that is the general gist of it). Once TGC publishes one of the old products, ICE gets to develop NEW material based on that material (i.e. derivative material -- something not allowed otherwise).

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 10:23:24 AM »
Humm...
It seems odd that the idea of 'paladin' which is nigh universal in RPGs could be denied/copy righted. 

Tim has already explained that he does not want to undercut his own work (i.e. the Champion) by introducing a RMSS-derived Paladin, and likewise he does not want to undercut the Combat Companion by bringing the Champion forward. He has also indicated that he does not want to undercut us bringing back Rolemaster Companion I, which will bring back the original Paladin and the original Nightblade and Arcane, and in due course bring of all that material into ICE's ownership.

So what is the situation with ICE and the Guild?  How does ICE not have the rights to their old stuff?  I obviously missed a chapter in the companies history.  Is this from back when they went bankrupt?

This is all fallout from the bankruptcy. The old contracts have reversion clauses whereby the copyright of works produced by freelancers reverted to the freelancers at old ICE's bankruptcy.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »
Humm...

Tim has already explained that he does not want to undercut his own work (i.e. the Champion) by introducing a RMSS-derived Paladin, and likewise he does not want to undercut the Combat Companion by bringing the Champion forward. He has also indicated that he does not want to undercut us bringing back Rolemaster Companion I, which will bring back the original Paladin and the original Nightblade and Arcane, and in due course bring of all that material into ICE's ownership.

This is all fallout from the bankruptcy. The old contracts have reversion clauses whereby the copyright of works produced by freelancers reverted to the freelancers at old ICE's bankruptcy.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

True, he did, but his explanation did not make clear why the 'Paladin' concept was denied.  The reversion clause bit explains it however.

So, when will RM companion 1 be coming out?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
True, he did, but his explanation did not make clear why the 'Paladin' concept was denied.  The reversion clause bit explains it however.

So, when will RM companion 1 be coming out?

Early next year is my expectation. Rick Hansen has a new cover and some internal artwork to complete (the ownership of the original art is too unclear for us to use it), once that is in, Andrew Ridgway can complete his layout, and we (ICE, TGC, and Mark Colborn [the author]) formally sign off on the whole deal.

best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell