Author Topic: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 1.0RC2 **UPDATE**  (Read 14438 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.16 *Updated*
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 08:02:50 AM »
In the play testing section, since I have not had many bug reports on it this version seems stable enough to put in the main repository.
Ok, I moved it over to the RMClassic Character sheets section for you.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item69

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:08:24 AM by Rasyr »

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.17 *Updated*
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 05:40:31 AM »
An interim release... another one the probable Release Candidate to follow in about a week. 

http://24.72.114.123/dgt/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=15&Itemid=28
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.18 *Updated*
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
    This release adds random height and weight as well as other improvements to the interface and SLA.

Notable updates include Complete Spell List Availability, Stepped and Static level bonuses, base power points, spell mastery options and others.

Only three more planned features to be implemented, kLoOge Werks Export, and the two Non Random Spell Acquisition options from Spell Law.

Once those features are added a Release candidate will replace the beta series.  After a short while of bug testing, the 1.0 release will be made.

http://24.72.114.123/dgt/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=15&Itemid=28
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.18 *Updated*
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »
Non Random is working.... and I am on my last feature before the Release Candidate.

I am just punching out the last of the code in the kLoOge Werks export...  I built a much improved kLoOge Werks definition that will be released at the same time.  It even has a maintenance script that lets automatically updates the bleeding, penalties and stun rounds for players.

I should have something for both ready for posting in the next day or so.  This will give much of the same functionality of the HARP definition and char gen.  It does not have the apply critical function... since there are no RMC criticals with ML like text formatting it may not be of much use... but the HARP apply critical function does work with it...

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9999RC **UPDATE**
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
The release candidate is ready... I have uploaded it to downloads and it is pending approval.  On the first post in this thread I gave a link to an alternate location.

I'll be uploading an updated kLoOge Werks Definition either tonight or tomorrow.  For those who like on-line role playing, this is becoming very functional.  I will update some macros before posting the latest definition, so I have to switch to java mindset.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 12:27:39 PM »
Approved...

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
I found a bug that was preventing proper implementation of the random height/weight.  I have tested a good number of the options in char gen, but if anyone else has the time to give the RC a try, I would appreciate the feedback.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
I am integrating  a few of the C&T options into the sheet for the 1.0 release so it will be a short while yet.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC Character Creation Software
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »
OK, I downloaded Open Office and the RMC Character sheet by allenrmaher version 0.99999.  The directions are written by someone who is way too familiar with spreadsheets, because he is talking in shorthand.

Is there anyone who can explain how to turn the rules options on without asking me to get an advanced engineering degree?

reference:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item481
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline gonther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Creation Software
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
I think there are no buttons to turn options on or off. Rather, rules options are turned on by filling in the respective fields.

For example, if you enter a value in field G 139 on the "Create" sheet (with the heading "Fixed DP option"), then the entered value will be your DPs. Otherwise, the calculated value to the left of this field is used.

At least, that's all I figured out...

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 11:32:01 AM »
merged you up here, more likely allen will see you on this thread and reply, and other people with similar questions are more likely to see the Q&A.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:36:16 AM by LordMiller »
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »
Many options have toggles in the option portion of the creation sheet (Create page rows 186-199).
, others as the previous poster said are fill in the  blanks.
The complicated stuff (GM customization) in the instructions is for creating customized version of the spreadsheet, not ordinary users.

If you have a specific question about a specific option?

It is a spreadsheet that supports dozens of  system variations which amounts to hundreds of combinations... the complexity has been kept as minimal as possible.

PLEASE NOTE:

The spreadsheet is nearing completion... it does not automatically follow that the documentation will be in the same state of refinement.  Since this is principally a volunteer affair.

A degree in advanced engineering is not required, but civility and specificity in requesting help would be appreciated.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to flame you.  :'(

Ok....that's better.  Lines 186-199 turn on/off character options.  For thick-headed people (like me for instance  ;D), I would suggest putting that information into the next version of the instructions.

Now, for the fun stuff:  What exactly are "Custom Cultures 1-9" on the culture line of the character sheet?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:12:59 PM by dutch206 »
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
Custom cultures allow you to set up things like language choices and ranks.  Cultures can be different than race.  At one point RMFRP/HARP like cultures were considered for RMC ChL  I kept the option in for setting language customization for the GM.  Most people will ignore it or fill in the blank manually.

If you remember back to the ME*P days the various races/cultures in the book had language ranks assigned to them.  It allows an elf to grow up in a human culture or vice versa and have language choices to match where they came from.

The consolidated options panel only came about in the last version (options were added over time)  The docs are from an old 9.18 release I think.  I may move the options one more time... but I have not decided on the merits of that just yet... since it further abstracts them from their formulae upon which thousands of others depend and the macros... so there is the potential to break it by doing so.

Spreadsheets have some very real limitations... and RMC with all it's options really pushes those pretty hard.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Kentucky Fried Gamers
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 1.0RC2 **UPDATE**
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
I really like the generator.  I am currently using it to generate the characters for my Gen Con Rolemaster game and am planning on giving out cards with the address to come here and get the generator.  I will post any suggestions or comments later after I have time to delve deeper in it.
Life is like a dogsled team, unless you are the lead dog, the view never changes.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
completely random question. . .why is this the "Orc" version?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

iAlchemie

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Hi there,

I've been using your wonderful RM character generator since Rolemaster Classic started to be released (I used to play 1st Edition RM *cough* "some" time ago :) ). I've been having a lot of fun tinkering with the spreadsheet to customise races and cultures for my campaign.

However I have noticed some glitches in the latest build you've released.

1) The Weight "Wt:" entry (cell D:11 on the Character Sheet page) still does not display an actual value, just "###". I think this has been present for a while.

2) I get an error message after purchasing skills that seems to be linked to the Body Development calculation. I've only seen this in the latest build. I've downloaded the zip file twice to check it and had the same error occur.

This line in the basic code is highlighted:
CS1.getCellRangeByName("hit_roll_total").Value = Skills.getCellRangeByName("hit_roll_total").Value + Skills.getCellRangeByName("bd_roll1").Value + Skills.getCellRangeByName("bd_roll2").Value

3)  I have also noticed that Stat Gain and Potentials can get confused when manually updating Potential values (which you may want to do if you take the bonus stat background option). I think some-one else has already mentioned this.

Given the complexity of what you're trying to achieve with this generator (in a spreadsheet no less!) I think you've done an awesome job. I wish there had been something like it 20 years ago!

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll address some of these issues as we go.

1) the number calculates correctly, but on some systems under some font configurations (not even OS specific) the text will greek out and be unreadable.... adjusting the font of the cell to something that displays on your computer will help.  Try the PDF export and then have a look at that... if you have the fonts the sheet was made with (I used the MS TT Core fonts  to provide broad compatability... but since spreadsheets don't embed fonts this can vary)

2) Checking into this tonight... I did not catch this in testing.  What options did you have enabled? (I have some RME fixes to incorporate into the main project)

3) Stat and potential entries are dice roll entries. You can enter the actual number manually (on the character sheet) and ignore the table lookup that is done on the create sheet.  When you do this you circumvent the create sheet mechanics which do not look at the character sheet when updating... since they assume a newly rolled character.

Can you give me a little more info on how, step by step this happens?

iAlchemie

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

1) You're correct. I adjusted the font size in my template and this works fine now.

2) No alternate Body Dev options enabled, just default RMC mechanics.

3) I think I've figured out where the problem is now. It occurs if I accept the "rolled" stats from the Create tab and then try to modify the stat on the Character Sheet tab.
A good example would be a Temp 89/ Pot 89 (where the potential is generated from a low roll obviously). I accept the rolls then proceed to spend background options. I pick a Stat Bonus increase (and here's where I'm probably making the mistake), and change the Temp to 90 on the Character Sheet tab. Because I accepted the "rolls" on the Create tab the Pot field on the Character Sheet is protected and cannot be modified (the Pot's appear to remain editable until you hit the Accept button). This leads to a Temp being higher than it's Pot which causes the Stat Gain on Level Up to misbehave. In the example I cited, a negative difference (-1) actually increased my Temp stat to 91 after a Stat Gain roll, so it's now 2 above the Pot!
Maybe you could suggest a correct method to do the above that works within the spreadsheet mechanics. ideally I'd like to be able to use the internal look-up tables for generating Pots and then have the option of safely over-riding them to manually enter changes (Background options for instance).

I hope that made sense!

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »
2) I think I have found it... I should have another version out on the weekend with some other corrections as well. It is a mistake introduced by the RME body development... well a change that impacted the core body development as far as the macro goes.

3) I see why this is happening. I can change the sheet so that it no longer protects the pot scores, thus freeing them up for editing.  It  allows players to manually/accidentally edit pot scores... but most of them are trustworthy. (and with revision tracking you can see if they have done it).

I'll include this change with the next release.