Author Topic: Who is responsible for maintaing "The Armory" extension on DriveThrurpg?  (Read 469 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I bought this extension for Rolemaster Classic on FGU. I really don't like the Long Sword attack table. Every critical is a slash. Swords can thrust as well, some of those should be punctures. Ironically the broadsword attack table has punctures, but I always though that was more of a hacking weapon (hence the Krush criticals). Any chance I could get in touch with the Armory people to update the Long Sword table?

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Who is responsible for maintaing "The Armory" extension on DriveThrurpg?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 08:11:30 PM »
Since I'm fairly certain there is no physical printed equivalent of The Armory supplement, I have no idea what source would've been used to create it as a comparison. I also don't use any of the ERA products, so I'm afraid I'm no help there.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 09:53:30 PM »
Last updated 2011, not sure who did the final layout but probably they are not around anymore. I don't think updates are likely. You can certainly house rule it if you want it to work differently though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 11:28:40 AM »
It appears to be based on The Armory, which was published for RMFRP.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/92874/rmfrp-the-armory

I do not own it, but I am aware that it had an option for altering crit type, so in the original context having all slashes on the table wouldn't have made it impossible to puncture. I hope someone with access to The Armory (print) can clarify further.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 12:50:13 PM »
In that book every weapon has a primary (default) critical type. Attackers can choose (when declaring the attack) an alternate critical for most weapons but suffer an OB penalty. Long swords (and most other swords) do a Slash critical by default, but the attacker can choose either Krush or Puncture instead by taking a -10 modifier to the attack roll. Bladed weapons can also be used for Subdual criticals but get a -30 penalty for the attempt.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 12:53:41 PM »
The basic concept from The Armory is that weapons can be used in different ways but they don't just randomly deliver different criticals. It's the person wielding the weapon who decides which type of attack to use and so which type of critical will be delivered.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 07:35:40 PM »
I don't like that approach since it slows down the game. I like how the different crits are incorporated into the table. I use it with Fantasy Grounds and unfortunately it is in the vault so I can't change it, which is why I was seeing if I could get it sourced.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 09:12:43 PM »
The broadsword you referenced as having multiple critical types isn't part of the Armory. It one of the original Arms Law tables. None of the Armory weapon tables has a name that matches any of the original tables or weapons.

I think you're going to be out of luck getting the Armory tables to work the way you want because your desire directly contradicts the goals of that supplement. The designers were Ray Ward and Norman Schaschke. They specifically set out to create tables that worked differently than the standard Arms Law tables.

The introduction to The Armory states that they only had two goals besides adding some new weapon types. One was to "smooth" the progression by shortening the tables to use ranges like 67-69 and 148-150 instead of the original "one row for every number" in the original Arms Law tables. The other was to change critical types so that the attacker chooses when the non-primary critical happens rather than having them be randomly determined.

There is no support for randomly determined critical type results anywhere in that book. Instead there are specific penalties for choosing from the available alternate critical types for each weapon.