Author Topic: Nets and Lasso  (Read 811 times)

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Nets and Lasso
« on: January 08, 2023, 07:25:05 AM »
What chart do you use for nets when using as 1HC ?

I understand Grapple chart is used if net is thrown.
Do you also use Grapple when net is used as melee or another chart ?

How about lasso? Is that grapple also?
e crits all round

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Nets and Lasso
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 09:01:13 AM »
Is there even an option to use nets as 1HC? In Arms Companion, when weapons were re-categorized for speed modifiers, both nets were still just in the "Net" category.

As for lasso, the Outlaw genre module mentions it as a thrown weapon using the grapple table. Fumble range is 1-6, max result is medium, and range modifier at 50 feet is -20.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 11:42:14 AM »
I always assumed they were classified as melee weapons with range rather than thrown, so would use the grapple chart for any use. I use RMSS though so ymmv. The combat companion has its own entangle chart with Crit that is pretty good as well.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 12:57:12 PM »
Is there any limit on placed on using a net in melee?

Thrown fishing nets need to be correctly folded/hung before casting and I think the same would be true for melee weapon nets. I don’t recall reading anything about nets being single use weapons or describing how long it takes to prepare a net to be used a second time.

Are there more detailed rules for net use anywhere that I may have missed or forgotten?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 04:50:09 PM »
Is there any limit on placed on using a net in melee?

Thrown fishing nets need to be correctly folded/hung before casting and I think the same would be true for melee weapon nets. I don’t recall reading anything about nets being single use weapons or describing how long it takes to prepare a net to be used a second time.

Are there more detailed rules for net use anywhere that I may have missed or forgotten?

We use the optional weapon category in Arms Companion.  Net is St/Ag and we resolve on the Grapple/Grasp/Envelop/Swallow chart or the Bola Chart.  Melee weapon nets end to be much smaller and lighter than fishing nets so there would be a penalty for using a fishing net as a "weaponized" net.  The nets used in gladiator movies were always depicted as much smaller and light so that's what we based it on and why we used the Bola attack table.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 04:56:47 PM »
What chart do you use for nets when using as 1HC ?

I understand Grapple chart is used if net is thrown.
Do you also use Grapple when net is used as melee or another chart ?

How about lasso? Is that grapple also?

I would use Club attack table for the net.  In General, we use the Bola table.  For Lasso, definitely the Grapple/Grasp/Swallow table.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!