Author Topic: Moon Mage Concept - maybe as a Pure Caster  (Read 908 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Moon Mage Concept - maybe as a Pure Caster
« on: November 27, 2022, 12:32:16 AM »
I haven’t been a player for a long time, but I still think of character concepts.
My latest love is a Dark Moon Mage (CompIII) which I really would want to try and play. They have very … interesting base lists to select from.
My concept is based on having Dark Contacts and Dark Summons. In the character’s belief all deepest lies are told and all the darkest deeds are done during the New Moon, meaning if you communicate with the denizens of this time of the month now secrets would be safe. These denizens would be the stuff of nightmares, contacted and summoned by Dark Contact/Summons.
The character I would play would be a seeker of truth (or power through the hidden knowledge and treasure learned by the contacts), and part out to control and banish out of control nightmares made real (daemons).
It would not be an “evil” character despite the lists, if possible.

The concept would work as the original semi-caster, though a thought was how to make a Pure Caster Moon Mage? Just use a cleric with Moon Mage rules and base lists? Another option is being an Archmage which does not really blend with the Channeling requirement of the concept.

Any ideas or comments are welcome.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Moon Mage Concept - maybe as a Pure Caster
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 09:49:09 AM »
Animist might be a better fit than Cleric, unless you're serving a particular moon deity. I kind of sounds as if you want to keep it more broad, which fits better with the Animist's approach. Maybe even use the Astrologer? You're also oriented to the heavens, though focused on a single body. Admittedly, that's Hybrid instead of Pure, but if you're going to be altering the class anyway, that might be the best place to start.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
I agree with Rdan -- Astrologer seems the closest fit.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 06:18:31 AM »
Astrologer! Of course!
Thank you! Yes, that would be a fitting course indeed.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 08:42:59 AM »
Animist might be a better fit than Cleric, unless you're serving a particular moon deity. I kind of sounds as if you want to keep it more broad, which fits better with the Animist's approach. Maybe even use the Astrologer? You're also oriented to the heavens, though focused on a single body. Admittedly, that's Hybrid instead of Pure, but if you're going to be altering the class anyway, that might be the best place to start.

I also wanted to add that yes, your feeling is correct that I would not be getting too religious with the worshipping side of Channeling, making the animist a good choose. That actually got me thinking of the shaman tbh but i trust the words of our more than my own.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy