Author Topic: Weapon Categories  (Read 817 times)

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Weapon Categories
« on: October 30, 2022, 03:08:03 AM »
Hello RM2 RMC players and GMs
I posted this in the general Rolemaster board so I thought I would ask specifically for RM2 by posting here as well.

I'm looking at weapon categories and thinking about creating a new category for chain/cord weapons that use a 'spinning action' such as:
whips, flail, lasso. Has anyone here done this?
This would be called chains/cords.

Would it make sense to put slings in this category too? (As they have a similar spinning action).

What weapon categories does everyone here use in their game?
e crits all round

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Weapon Categories
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 04:38:21 AM »
I'm not sure whips use a "spinning" action - and pretty sure flails do not, for that matter.

It seems like a niche category, and probably seen more often in oriental martial art weapons.

I wouldn't include sling in that category. It might require a spinning motion, but the use is completely different from a melee weapon.

But the main question is: why do you want to add a category ?

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 03:57:46 AM »
Mainly for perceived realism. But also to create specialization.
My view is a whip is used much differently to a mace so much so it should belong to a category of.. 'flexible weapons'.

e crits all round

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
Mainly for perceived realism. But also to create specialization.
My view is a whip is used much differently to a mace so much so it should belong to a category of.. 'flexible weapons'.
Agreed for the whip. Not so much for the flail, for instance - sure, they are different weapons, but you already have different skills to model that, and putting a whip and a flail in the same category does not make any sense to me (neither does putting a sling in the same category as either, for that matter).

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 03:54:44 PM »
You can make an "Exotics" category or "Flexible" category.  I think RM2 has a "Whip/chain" category?  I'd have to look in Arms Law (RM2), but a few of my players love the metal whip.  It's a very nice weapon for damage/crits.  Anyway, I believe there is a category for the whip-style weapons.  Flail and morning star are already in categories.  We use the expanded weapon grouping chart in RM2.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 11:21:12 AM »
RM2 Character Law has a category (optional rule of course) for 'Rope Weapons' that includes Net and Lasso, as well as a Whips category that includes Cat-o'-Nine-Tails and Whip.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 06:08:48 AM »
RM2 Character Law has a category (optional rule of course) for 'Rope Weapons' that includes Net and Lasso, as well as a Whips category that includes Cat-o'-Nine-Tails and Whip.
Thanks for pointing that one out. I'll use that to make a decision if I want to add extra categories."
e crits all round