Author Topic: Cost of Enchanting an Item  (Read 853 times)

Offline Bebbo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cost of Enchanting an Item
« on: September 13, 2022, 09:38:03 PM »
Is there an added cost to enchanting an item? as in if i were to attempt to order a magical sword, it would be the multiplicative price of the magic material used, and added to that is the cost of the enchantment? is there another hidden fee or multiplication I'm missing?

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cost of Enchanting an Item
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:42:11 AM »
There were a few great examples in Character Law, but even better ones in Treasure or Alchemy Companions depending upon version of RM.

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 09:19:09 PM »
I tried determining costs for magic items, but with all the variations it was taking a lot of time.  In the end, I used the following page from Treasure Companion (ICE#5811).
Then just "wing it" for anything that doesn't fit into an existing slot. Note this is for "magic" items.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 09:25:22 PM »
Also note that there is a separate table for "non-magic" bonus to weapons and armour.  IE made from superior quality raw materials or using superior crafting techniques.

These tables are also from Treasure Companion.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 03:03:16 AM »
The way I interpret the process is the base item itself adds to the cost of the item as well.

There are enchanted property multipliers like + bonuses and intelligence that seem to be in addition to the imbedding costs.

Also the optional AIF rule means spells need to be cast to prepare the material being made so this adds to cost if using this option.

e crits all round