Author Topic: Development costs for Natural Weapons  (Read 1212 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Development costs for Natural Weapons
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:40:58 AM »
According for the rules of RM2 or RMC what would the development costs be for natural weapons say for insect races?

Since I cannot recall seeing such rules I was thinking 2/6 or cost of weapon category #1 (whatever is cheaper) as it would be an instinctive skill everyone of the race would have relative ease picking up.

Thoughts?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Development costs for Natural Weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 04:53:14 AM »
I have always used it as a weapon category. They can choose to learn it or not. I am not aware of an official rule in RMC.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 07:17:25 AM »
I would agree it is a weapon category but I would add it as the cost of Brawling.  An insect using its limbs effectively and err... deadly-ly is no different than a human using its limbs as untrained fighting (Brawling) or trained in effective use  (Martial Arts, Wrestling, Tackling).  Albeit, it's never come up on our group, but this seems logical for cost and weapon category.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »
I'm unaware of any specific rule in RM2. We used to assign it a cost category, as Peter suggested. But if I were playing RM2 today, I would definitely try using Spectre's suggestion, since it makes a lot of sense.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
Thank you for your insights.

It’s hard returning to a game system after more than a decade.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
Thank you for your insights.

It's as easy as falling off a bike!  You got this!  Once you get rolling, it will all come back to you.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »
You'll do fine.  Just a matter of retraining old skills, particularly those pesky chart lookup skills. ;)
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
My first thought was to use a weapon category, but Brawl or Martial Arts definitely seems more fitting.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
I used to treat natural weapons as lowest cost weapon development for profession. Depending on race and culture it could be compulsory to develop a minimum of ranks.

A feline character in a game I played developed natural claw attack as MA Strike that gained bonus slash critical if a critical was scored.
e crits all round

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »
A feline character in a game I played developed natural claw attack as MA Strike that gained bonus slash critical if a critical was scored.

Did you treat it as a kata weapon?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 10:48:36 AM »
Ones of the companions have a rule just like that.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 12:42:06 AM »

Did you treat it as a kata weapon?

No because it was deemed natural weaponry is not wielded as a weapon because it is part of the body itself.
Felines and such simply have better limbs for unarmed combat.

I handled weapon kata differently to the RAW as follows :

Weapon kata use the normal weapon table and are normal weapon attacks except:

1) Character can use martial arts 'two attacks per round' and 'engage multiple foes' while wielding a weapon.
2) Weapon kata allows the use of Adrenal Defence while the character is wielding a weapon (Weapon Bugei from RM2 IV not used)
3) OB/initiative point conversion can be used while the character is wielding a weapon.

Each character may have 3 different weapon kata.

The weapon used in a particular kata has skill ranks developed separately to the martial arts skills at normal weapon development costs.

To use weapon kata the weapon's usable ranks are capped at the number of ranks of the MA attack being used.

eg. Nikk the Ninja has 14 ranks in dagger, 13 ranks in MA strike tier #1 and 5 ranks in MA strike tier 2.
He can do one of the following weapon attacks against one foe -
1 weapon kata dagger attack using 13 skill ranks of dagger skill (getting the martial arts abilities) OR
1 normal dagger attack at skill rank 14 (without the benefit of martial arts bonuses) OR
1 weapon kata dagger attack and 1 MA strike tier #1 at 13 skill ranks each OR
1 weapon kata dagger attack and 1 MA strike tier #2 at 5 skill ranks each.

Two attacks per round - 1 weapon kata attack and 1 MA attack can be used OR 2 MA attacks can be used.

Engaging multiple foes - the weapon kata attack can be used against 1 foe only, the other attacks are MA. Normal penalties apply for rear/flank positioning and reverse stroke skill will be needed for rear attacks using weapon kata.

The cumulative OB penalties in RM2 AL p.29 are used.

e crits all round