Author Topic: Martial Law Crit Charts Questions  (Read 1381 times)

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Martial Law Crit Charts Questions
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
The charts in Martial Law include hit locations within them.  A 120 result is the maximum.  So does a 120 always result in an arm crit?  I can imagine that the result could have been higher than 120 and thus end up with another result, but what about the 5 point ranges?  Will the results on those lines never fall on the locations not included in the range?  I'm trying to port the charts into my roll20 game and am asking because I can decrease my work a little if I end up making 10 point ranges to remove results that will never occur if I am indeed understanding this correctly.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Martial Law Crit Charts Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
The rules for determining hit location are on page 64 of ML. They use the ones die from the attack roll to determine which location on the targets body is hit. Once the hit location is determined, use the column on the critical chart for that location to determine the result of the critical. So an attack roll with 8 or 9 as the ones die would use the leftmost (Head and Neck) column while a 6 or 7 would use the fourth column (Chest and Back) and so on.

Essentially this means a 120 can hit any location on the targets body.

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
This still isn’t fully answering the question.  For instance, there is a line for results 91-95 on the chart, which only encompasses 3 hit locations based on the 1’s dice... will the other two locations never come up on that line?  Or am I missing something and there is a mechanic that would bump the roll into those locations somehow?

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
How many columns are on your critical chart?

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
There are 6: The result range; The head / neck column; The leg / foot column; The arm / hand column; The chest / back column; and the abdomen / groin area.  So, for example, let’s say a final roll of 91 - 95 comes up after adding OB and subtracting DB.  There are entries for every location but two of those locations don’t fall between 1 and 5 on the one’s dice.  So do those particular results never occur?  Or, am I missing some skill or talent that allows the result to be moved to them?

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
Use the result of the ones die to determine location before modifying the roll with OB, DB etc. This will allow the result to fall on any of the locations for any final result as the ones die from the roll will be 0-9.

For example, on an attack the die Roll is 78 add 52 for OB then subtract 36 for DB giving a final result of 94. The ones die of eight from the actual roll is used to determine that the attack hit the Head/Neck so use that column when looking up the critical. The final modified result of 94 is used to determine only the severity of the hit in the Head/Neck column, not the location of the hit.

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »
That makes so much sense and yet I would never have thought of that on my own.  Thank you for the extremely helpful answer.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
Very happy to be of assistance!