Author Topic: Using other magic systems with Role Master  (Read 993 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Using other magic systems with Role Master
« on: October 09, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Somewhat related to my own campaign, which uses Role Master magic with GURPS as the actual game system, I have recently begun to start wonderung how one could implement other magic systems with Role Master as the base system.

For example, using the GURPS standard magic system, each spell would be learned as a skill, with the same cost as Arcane Spell lists (because GURPS magic is quite versatile).

GURPS' magic points in the standard system is based on Health, that is, Constitution. The values in GURPS range from 6 to 20, so we just declare the magic points for GURPS magic in Role Master to be 10+[Constitution bonus].

In GURPS, standard magic gets easier to cast and costs less energy when your skill level ist higher - starting at level 15 (which equals about 95% chance of success), every 5 skill levels reduce cost for casting by 1. For simplicity, I'd say round that 95% up to +100 spell skill, and give additional reductions per every +25 of effective spell casting skil for that spell, while that is a bit harder to do for a player character in Role Master than in GURPS, that fits the tone of the system, so that's allright.

For bonuses to damage, defenive capability and the like, I'd propose a simple 1:5 conversion - 1 point in GURPS equals 5 points in Role Master, so +3 GURPS Damage Resistance becomes a +15 bonus to DB, and a bonus of +3 to damge becomes a +15 bonus to OB in RoleMaster.

What's your take at converting an existing magic system to Role Master?