Author Topic: Complex vs. Detailed  (Read 1465 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Complex vs. Detailed
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
My experience with new players.

I have been playing with a group since August and I have introduced 4 new players to Rolemaster who are experienced d20 players. Each one had a similar opinion when we created the characters.

Wow what a complex system. However after a few game sessions the players all now have a new appreciation of Rolemaster not as an overly complex system but as a very detailed system. In reality Rolemaster can be summed up into two actions. The moving maneuver T 4.1 and the Static maneuver T 4.3. The skills are just modifications to the success of completing the above mentioned maneuver.

Combat is another animal. We have been using the Rolemaster Combat Minion (what a great piece of software!). They all recognize the detail of the combat but if it were not for the software they might still hold an opinion of an overly complex game. Combat Minion changes everything.

Editing a game. If I were the editor of Rolemaster, my first chapter would be "Introduction to the mechanics of Rolemaster". I would have table T 4.1 and T4.3 in this chapter, explain the mechanics and give a few examples as in RMSS. Once these two mechanics are explained new players are much less intimidated by the game. In fact they begin to appreciate the level of detail of the game.

Whoever is the writer of Combat Minion? KUDOS!!! This one piece of software transforms the combat from something players dreaded to a welcome encounter.

HawksNut

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Complex vs. Detailed
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Rolemasters biggest hurdle with gaining new players has always been an inaccurate generalization of how complex it is parroted by a bunch of people who never played it.  I don't think I've ever read an overly negative review that wasn't written by someone that clearly hadn't actually played it.  There have been reviewers that indicated they didn't like the level of detail and wanted a 'simple' game (D&D is what they were getting at) and that's a completely legitimate complaint.  But all the whining and gnashing of teeth about how 'hard' and 'overly complex' it is is a bunch of BS.

It's no more complex than D&D, especially post 2nd Ed D&D.  Once you get someone to use the system, either with people that understand it or by truly learning it themselves (not just glossing over rules and exclaiming "This is too hard for me!"), their opinion generally changes for the positive to varying degrees.  They may not stick with the system, but at least they stop repeating statements that make them sound like Paris Hilton at a MENSA convention.  I could have loads of examples, but I'll stay off my soap box for the time being. :)

We haven't made full on complete use of Combat Minion yet, but I know it will cut combat time down by a decent amount once the various GM's are familiar with it.  We've created simpler versions of a program like this in the past, but Combat Minion puts them to shame.  I'm really hoping it's back-end tables expand more and more.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Complex vs. Detailed
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
Wow what a complex system. However after a few game sessions the players all now have a new appreciation of Rolemaster not as an overly complex system but as a very detailed system.

I no longer know the number of times I have heard this.  Highlights are my emphasis of words used verbatim...

And this from former players of the UGERPS (Unnamed Gaming Entity Role Playing System).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.