Author Topic: Hello, by way of a funny story  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Kemengon

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hello, by way of a funny story
« on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:04 AM »
Greetings all,
Long time Rolemaster (2&FRPS) Fan & GM of 18 years, only now getting on to the forums.  Having lurked around this sight for a long time, I figured I should properly say hello and give my my thanks for keeping this great game alive (and a special shout-out to J. Dale for his very helpful character sheet generator).   
I figured I would enhance this introduction with an account of my groups’ favorite one-off adventure way back in the day – done very much as a simplified RM2. Each of the PC’s played an animal familiar of a Ranger, with heavily specialized character creation: A Bear Fighter; a spider nightblade, a bird bard and a thief raccoon.  They were technically wild, but we agreed their intelligence had been boosted through years of interaction/magic with the ranger.
The adventure was built around rescuing a stolen artifact from traveling gypsies who had taken advantage of their poor (drunken) ranger.
As GM I had planned for the PCS and the NPC ranger  to work together, but the raccoon, well, that is the PC himself, was rather mischievous, and with great difficulty, but a lot of stealth, wound the shoe-laces of the ranger together as a prank, causing him to fall – I thought an A impact would be fitting, but wouldn’t you know, a high roll put him right out. What followed then was a group of animals running off to recover the artifact, and getting into a lot of trouble: a bear breaking and entering the wrong house, but ultimately making off with their food; the spider in almost continuous risk of getting eaten by woodland creatures, the bird chirping a lot to no effect.  Finally having botched an attempt at stealthily taking back the necklace, the raccoon turned on his pursuers and on a max role for tiny claws and a 100 on his B Slash, managed to disembowel one of them!  The others fled in terror, and the animals returned to the wounded (and still hung over) ranger, victorious.   It was so much fun, we never dared to run another adventure, since it couldn't be followed. 

So has anyone else had similar stories from trying really unorthodox races/species to test the bounds of the rolemaster system(s)?

Cheers,
Kemengon

Offline Riemumieli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hello, by way of a funny story
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
I once wanted to play a ninja turtle using RoCo VI and OrCo and but my GM was against it.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
Welcome Kemengon.

That does sound like a lot of fun, I think my current group would get a kick out of a game like that. I can only do the silly/humorous stuff in small doses myself, like Paranoia or Toon which I can only play as one-shots, but it could be a great tension breaker for when the main campaign gets serious.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Welcome.

I started a game with two orcs both sentenced to prison in the classic Tunnels and Trolls module NAKED DOOM.  Essentially, prisoners are stripped naked and with crossbowmen firing at their fleeing backs, sent into the dungeon to die (there was a far more nefarious reason for the prison, but we never go there because...).  In their first encounter, both orcs drowned at the enchanting charms of a water nymph.

10 minutes in and both players were dead.  I thought fast.  My answer was both descended to orc hell were eventually after processing, they were picked to perform a difficult and dangerous mission, as undead, that was akin to a suicide mission on a magic dead world (earth).

What followed was a marvelous time.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
Welcome to the forums.
We were discussing critical results and the role playing experiences they can cause in our last session. It is one great and unique thing about RM.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »
Welcome!

Oh man, that gives me an idea to potentially run a session that is nothing but 'familiars' in a city setting.  (i.e. the PC's play a group of familiars being partially directed by their 'owners' instead of their own characters).  I bet the players would get a kick out of that.  Great idea.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Kemengon

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the greetings, and glad I could be of some inspiration. I certainly know that breaking up a campaign with something unorthodox can be a good thing (also provides the GM of something of a breather). I like that idea Cory - especially as the urban element would be different.  Ours was a lone highway type environment, but an urban adventure would be great (I'm thinking dogs, housecats, mules, etc.)  Certainly a shapechanging curse on a current group of PCs would be a fun idea as well! Might be an alternative to the usual James-Bond-style imprisoning of the PCs after an unexpected defeat. 

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
I wanna be a Reese Monkey Thief.  Throwing OB.  Hmm, thrown poo...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
I wanna be a Reese Monkey Thief.  Throwing OB.  Hmm, thrown poo...
That would be handled on the "Splat-and-Puke" attack table, with vomiting criticals.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
I like that idea Cory - especially as the urban element would be different.  Ours was a lone highway type environment, but an urban adventure would be great (I'm thinking dogs, housecats, mules, etc.)
Exactly.  Mice, Rats, Dragonflies, Birds, Cats, Dogs, etc.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 03:46:55 AM »
MOUSEGUARD!
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
lol... I've just about justified running a Redwall (Brian Jacques) campaigns haven't I?
- Cory Magel

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
As GM I had planned for the PCS and the NPC ranger  to work together, but the raccoon, well, that is the PC himself, was rather mischievous, and with great difficulty, but a lot of stealth, wound the shoe-laces of the ranger together as a prank, causing him to fall – I thought an A impact would be fitting, but wouldn’t you know, a high roll put him right out. What followed then was a group of animals running off to recover the artifact, and getting into a lot of trouble: a bear breaking and entering the wrong house, but ultimately making off with their food; the spider in almost continuous risk of getting eaten by woodland creatures, the bird chirping a lot to no effect.  Finally having botched an attempt at stealthily taking back the necklace, the raccoon turned on his pursuers and on a max role for tiny claws and a 100 on his B Slash, managed to disembowel one of them!  The others fled in terror, and the animals returned to the wounded (and still hung over) ranger, victorious.   It was so much fun, we never dared to run another adventure, since it couldn't be followed. 
Cheers,
Kemengon

That is an absolutely fantastic twist on a session.  I'd love to use that idea in a campaign.  The familiars are NPCs anyway.  Why not have the game from their point of view.  The best twist was the Ranger being taken out of the session from a crit and the animals left to fend for themselves.  That must have been such a great session to sit in on.  Thank you for sharing with us.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
One guy I know told me of a long-time campaign he and his buddies played back in the day. Their group eventually split up as they couldn't play regularly anymore, and the campaign ended.
He then devised a "prequel" adventure for one session where the players got their own characters... as ten-year-old level 1 children, instead of high-level as they used to be at the end of the campaign. (The campaign characters all came from the same village.) From what I've been told they had a blast. Things like evading your parents, or being back home by sunset, became plot-relevant problems.