Author Topic: What type of gamer are you?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What type of gamer are you?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
I've had to be a sort of rules lawyer in a couple of games, but that was because the GMs either didn't know the rules or were twisting/misinterpreting them to cause unnecessary harm to the party. I've never done it to advance or protect my character, though.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
I've had to be a sort of rules lawyer in a couple of games, but that was because the GMs either didn't know the rules or were twisting/misinterpreting them to cause unnecessary harm to the party. I've never done it to advance or protect my character, though.

Yeah, that's not what I mean; helping with the rules to forward the game isn't a problem. In my case, I think the people involved just liked to 'win' against the GM (or the rules or whatever), which goes against my philosophy of the game being about playing a character and participating in a story, and the rules are there to facilitate it. Of course, most of my gaming as a character goes back to Pete's campaigns, where we were basically playtesting rules as we went sometimes. So, Pete would often just have to adjudicate things on the fly for the game, and then there would be discussions afterwards about what went wrong and how to fix it. Like when we slew a dragon all too easily one time, and next session, the Large and Super-large criticals appeared. Eeek!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »

Yeah, that's not what I mean; helping with the rules to forward the game isn't a problem. In my case, I think the people involved just liked to 'win' against the GM (or the rules or whatever), which goes against my philosophy of the game being about playing a character and participating in a story, and the rules are there to facilitate it. Of course, most of my gaming as a character goes back to Pete's campaigns, where we were basically playtesting rules as we went sometimes. So, Pete would often just have to adjudicate things on the fly for the game, and then there would be discussions afterwards about what went wrong and how to fix it. Like when we slew a dragon all too easily one time, and next session, the Large and Super-large criticals appeared. Eeek!

I know. But in both these cases it was more a matter of the GMs just not being up to par. In one case the guy was trying to run the game and actually read the rules (for the first time) at the same time. He was also one who didn't want players to ever read the rules... In the second case, the GM actually would 'modify' combat rules so that they favored monsters and NPCs (it was WHFRP and he only used the "roll additional damage if you get a 6" rule for NPCs). Needless to say I left both games pretty quickly, but I always felt bad for the couple of players who ended up thinking that those GMs were running games correctly.

I've run and been in playtesting games before, and those are actually pretty fun.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
I'm never very convinced that Min-Max players are as big a problem as they are made out to be.  Min-Max players don't bother us.  Some of us do it to a degree depending on who you ask.  Two examples of how I could be accused of being a Min-Maxer...

1. When rolling for potentials I put an X5 (55, 65, 75, 85) into the stats I want the best numbers in, not 60, 70, 80 or 90.  Why?  Because in purchasing the temporary stat they become more expensive when you surpass 90 and because my potential is calculated off the number five points greater.  Meaning if I assign an 85 or a 90 my potential is still "90+1d10" in either case.  Taking an 85 instead of a 90 gives me five free points.  A former GM called this the "Cory Cheese Factor".  'Roleplaying' my stats (as in letting them be random) is a silly notion if you ask me.  My character is partially what he is because of his physical capabilities.  You could construe this whole comment as directly from one of those 'd-head' labels. :)

2. Many of my skills I only buy once per level rather than two.  This is because if the cost of a bunch of skills is 2/5 if I buy them one at a time and spread my skills out I end up with better overall skills than the other players do once I've gained some levels.

Both of those could be considered Min-Max behavior.  The first is more obvious.  The second a LOT of people will say "Well of course you should do that!" but technically that is a form of Min-Maxing.  Why wouldn't you try to get the most out of what you have in many situations?  Now, obviously there's a point where it can become silly and I suspect those players have more issues than being what would called a Min-Maxer.  If a player did NOTHING but build up combat stats and was a complete idiot when it came to other skills (Social, Stealth, etc) they are going to suffer for it in parts of the game... so does that Min-Max issue cause more of a problem for you, or the player?  I'd reinforce that to the player, but out of game and in game.  But what if you're game concentrates heavily on combat skills?  That may very well be what's driving the behavior.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »
I'd say that I'm between reasonable and true. I try hard to not break the veil, if you take my meaning, but we all do at some point or another
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
Yes I have seen a few GM's who play to "win" or I do it to "make it interesting for me".  To me a GM's goal is to tell a story and there is no winning involved., they are simply playing the wrong game or wrong type of game.
I have also seen GM's who forget the rules that they know or simply do not have the time to put into knowing the rules, I think that is the kindest way to put it. 

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

My current GM is the type for twisting and misinterpreting the rules. I don't bother being a rules lawyer though, there's no point.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
In the past when things do not work in my game there is a reason, ie magic does not work the way it should and that can throw off players quite a bit.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
I am a reasonable gamer. I like to get on with the story and have fun, not overly concerned with policing the rules.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
I think I'm between true-reasonable and reasonable gamer, but my GM's opinion may differ. It differs on pretty much everything else so why not that too.

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
As a gm I am not too concerned with min/maxing because I am guilty of that as a player.  But I also prefer to play the big dumb fighter type who requires all 10 fingers to count to 3. 

My biggest pet peeve is the rules lawyer.  I am a firm believer in Rule 0.  Please do not come into my game as a rules lawyer, you will not like my stacked deck of many things.  Thankfully I only needed to use it one time.  It was enough to send the message when the rest of the group refused to seek out the soul of the offending player and they left him in the middle of the road drooling all over himself.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
As a gm I am not too concerned with min/maxing because I am guilty of that as a player.  But I also prefer to play the big dumb fighter type who requires all 10 fingers to count to 3. 

My biggest pet peeve is the rules lawyer.  I am a firm believer in Rule 0.  Please do not come into my game as a rules lawyer, you will not like my stacked deck of many things.  Thankfully I only needed to use it one time.  It was enough to send the message when the rest of the group refused to seek out the soul of the offending player and they left him in the middle of the road drooling all over himself.
and I approve this message
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »
Yes I have seen a few GM's who play to "win" or I do it to "make it interesting for me".
We used to game with a GM like that.  Used to.  I don't think he ever did figure out why people stopped being able to show up to his games.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »
I don't see these categories as being mutually excluding. I do some min maxing, but I ignore the loopholes. I try to play in character, but not at the cost of the game / story. Everyone cooperates around our table. I contribute between combats, but it's the fighting scenes I love the most. True gamer fits me the most, I guess.

As for "young kids" reading the forum.. haha..
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
True that there is a lot of opportunity for overlap. I like to tell the story (stop with the eye-rolling!) of when we first play-tested Pete's 'Dreamtime' game idea, where we played characters who would shift between three realities. One was Iron Wind, one was a near-future Cyberspace, and another was a far future star empire (Space Master). We were playtesting a simplified system, but a lot of the game was just role-playing as we began to realize that our character's spirits were dreaming in three realities. I loved it, since I liked the role-playing aspect, but some others I think did not like it so much, since there was not a set rules structure. Anyway, in the star empire, I played a Pierson's puppeteer (Ringworld) and wore two sock-puppets, each with a styrofoam eye. I'd use the puppet to roll dice, sometimes the heads would look at each other. And of course I played him as a total paranoid, even though he had to be somewhat insane to work with humanoids. In the near-future, I worked for the Interplanetary Geographical Society and had high-tech glasses, in the shape of the NatGeo yellow rectangle, that had some kind of special nanotech powers. Naturally, I made a prop set of these. So, not sure how far off the deep end that kind of play was.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
I LARP so the idea of costuming and props is just a natural....

I'm never very convinced that Min-Max players are as big a problem as they are made out to be.  Min-Max players don't bother us.  Some of us do it to a degree depending on who you ask.

I don't think min-maxing is an inherent problem. The problem is if you have an imbalance within the party that makes some players feel unnecessary, irrelevant, or second-string. If all the players min-max, that's unlikely to happen. Your players are all the same style, no problem, the game can focus on what they enjoy whether it's all roleplay or no roleplay and just combat. If you have some min-maxing players and some players who are not inclined that way, or without that understanding of the rules, you can get an imbalance and that can make the game less fun if the GM can't handle it. The players can also deal with it themselves, e.g. by coaching them during character creation to help ensure their characters will be on par or they will have an area to shine in. (This is the sort of thing that a Reasonable Gamer does.)

Personally, I tend to min-max characters. I build them around a concept and roleplay, but it's obvious to me what is more or less efficient so I tend to keep things efficient.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
 I might be in the minority but I never LARP'ed or acted in any way, besides those plays you did in elementary school.  So I found it kind of strange that people would bring prop's way back when. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser) I understand that there are many types of gaming groups and there are many ways to have fun.
 In college I sat in on a group that dressed up in there character, full armor and everything as they were SCA'ers it was not a problem for them. And it was also interesting in that the GM at times asked if the player had a specific piece of equipment on them in person. If they did not bring said item I was told the PC did not have it.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
I am in trouble as I fit in all categories depending on who is GMing and the game.
MDC

This is me also.  However, if it is to be a long-term campaign, I am mostly a Reasonable-Actor, True Reasonable, and Reasonable-Gamer.  If it is a one shot scenario, I can be a True Gamer, especially in the hack-and-slash one shot scenario.  The three "jerks" categories I usually expel from my games.  Although it never happens much anymore since most of my players are experienced enough to not be the "jerks".

Most often, I have found those that are "jerks" tend to be ones who have a few months experience, but still less than two years.  Additionally, the "hack-and-slash" gamer is also expelled from my games.  Although they may not be "jerks", they tend to get that way when there is not enough "hack-and-slash" combat scenes.

As I have said many times, I tend to prefer "role-playing" over "roll-playing".

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
Here are a couple of websites I found for determining your gamer type.  Please realize I did not do an exhaustive search, just a single query.  Also included are a couple of sample results, one for each site.

http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/new/maxcheetah/what-type-of-rpg-gamer-are-you/

You Scored as Drama Queen

Your primary purpose is to create a story. You might even keep a log or journal of your adventures. Your characters are as real as any modern authors.

Drama Queen 75%
Comedian 69%
Do-gooder 63%
Goldbricker 50%
Instigator 50%
Rules Lawyer 44%
Munchkin 38%
Combat Monster 13%

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_rpg_class_job_best_suits_you

What RPG Class/Job Best Suits You?

Your Result: Knight/Warrior 78%

Based on your results, you most likely wanna be a Knight/Warrior. These people are fierce and protectors of the weak. Though not quick, but very offensive in their attacks. If you think you're better in offensive, this is your area. They carry Swords/Axe/Spears

Summoner/Time Mage 63%
Black Mage/Geomancer 59%
Monk 32%
White Mage/Chemist 32%
Beast/Dragon Tamer 32%
Ninja/Samurai 23%
Archer 8%

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
Also Drama Queen here...  On the other, Knight/Warrior but followed by Archer, Summoner/Time Mage, and Monk.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster