Author Topic: Reading my new (to me) RM2 boxed set  (Read 3260 times)

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reading my new (to me) RM2 boxed set
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »
Was the Force Mage in the Red Books?
Out of one of the RM Companions. He warned me it wasn't necessarily the most balanced profession, but for a 2 player game / campaign, that's less of an issue for me. I did think the Force Mage was a nice match to Shadow World, with the magi-tech thing going on there.

It was fun to walk into their house - my friend is, as mentioned, a huge RM2 fan - he had his RM2 books out, the SM 1st ed spell books, and all the Companions (1-6), and a bunch of others as well.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
Force Mage is in RMC5, to be specific.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
sounds like a fun and successful first session!
I think it would be fun to GM a younger group, intro them to the joys of RM.

I dont recall the Force Mage, I must now dig out my RMC5 and read up.

I think that once people give RM a chance, see what they can do with it, they'll get hooked. There's just so much more that you can do with your character. Granted, there are some seriously flawed professions, but that's for another thread. All in all I really think that once you get used to how RM works, you cant settle for anything less.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
...He warned me it wasn't necessarily the most balanced profession, but for a 2 player game / campaign, that's less of an issue for me. I did think the Force Mage was a nice match to Shadow World, with the magi-tech thing going on there.
FM is a great class but quite powerful at higher levels. Have a look at some of the wave type spells and discuss how they will work well ahead of the player using them.
From memory there is one spell that does E crits in a wave with certain dimensions (I don't have the book here but something like 10/level wide); we intpretted it as the first person in a 10 foot width to be hit. You could easily hit 100's of people with it depending on interpretation.
I love the fly spell, I think it is the only one in the game that has speed based on level. Ritual that baby up and put it into an item ( a cart maybe?) and zoom away! :)

One of my favourite characters ever had this spell and due to ridiculous stats and being able to over cast at whim was flying at several mach's when he hit a Force-wall... ouch that hurt... the GM loved getting out the Magical Interaction Critical Table as my force-field hit the stationary one.  :o
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »

One of my favourite characters ever had this spell and due to ridiculous stats and being able to over cast at whim was flying at several mach's when he hit a Force-wall... ouch that hurt... the GM loved getting out the Magical Interaction Critical Table as my force-field hit the stationary one.  :o

OOOOO.. I bet that left a mark!
I remember the Dervish had some telekenetik spell... so many feet/sec/lvl kind of thing, every time you cut the weight in half you doubled the speed.. Anyways, a friend was playing in a separate group and they calculated (these were like nuclear engineer types) that the PC was throwing chop sticks at the speed of light. What happens when matter reachs FTL? it turns to plasma. What happens when plasma hits something? nuke explosion.
yeah, they toned that down a bit. :) For a bit there they were all "Bring on Mordor!" but that went badly.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland