Author Topic: General knowledge of Rolemaster on the internet  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
General knowledge of Rolemaster on the internet
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
As I was reading a thread in the Rolemaster sub-forum, it reminded me of something I wanted to suggest some time ago, about how Rolemaster is described on the internet.

I am refering to articles about RM (and related pages) on websites like Wikipedia or TvTropes. It worries me to read about the various nicknames of this system. I think it gives an undeserved bad reputation to a good system.

What do people think? Is it worth changing those entries?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: General knowledge of Rolemaster on the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
What do people think? Is it worth changing those entries?
No, for two reasons:

1. They are what people have called the game, so they are "true" in that sense.

2. They will just get changed back.

Ultimately, people will think of the game as they will, the only chance we have of changing their minds is by getting them to actually (and truly) try the game. Even then, no promises.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »
I say go for it.  The majority of criticism I see of RM is largely done by people who didn't really bother to learn how to play it (and often just parroting what they've heard from others).  Many of those that appear to know what they are talking about in terms of system mechanics seem to have a problem with unorganized or inattentive players.

It's rare that I see a person obviously really knowledgeable about RM make a completely valid complaint about it other than it just wasn't their style of play (more, rather than less, detailed).

Anyone moving to a system they know nothing about will find it intimidating.  If I was moving from RMSS to AD&D 3.0 or later I'd think it was difficult to grasp because I don't already know it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:56:36 AM »
I say go for it as well.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: General knowledge of [b]Rolemaster [/b] on the internet
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
It always seems appropriate to shift a Wikipedia article towards a neutral stance, away from advocating for or against something.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:45:06 AM »
I agree. However, even amongst us fans, we even make the same jokes about its complexity. Just check out some of the threads here about how various GMs and players handle multiple attacks, missile weapons, etc. There seem to be as many ways of using Rolemaster as there are players.

We often can't even agree on what WE like about the system...only that it is far more detailed than other more "popular" RPGS.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
We often can't even agree on what WE like about the system...only that it is far more detailed than other more "popular" RPGS.

And that is what I and three players love about it.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.