Author Topic: Where would you start a campaign in Shadow World?  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Where would you start a campaign in Shadow World?
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
Hey folks,

Am pondering the SW call for adventures in the context of developing an interesting starting area/adventure/region/setting (sort of the "Village of Hommlet" or "Keep on the Borderlands" equivalent for SW). Anyone have any favorite areas/regions that they think would be a good place to ponder (the stack of Emer(s)/Atlases on my desk to my left is daunting to say the least)?

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where would you start a campaign in Shadow World?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
I've started a couple of campaigns in the Rhakhaan Empire: it is relatively stable and vanilla. There is also a good map of the city of Haalkitaine, which serves as a good safe base for Jaiman adventures. I think there is also a Lys supplement in the works.

Another place is where one of the Master Atlases recommended: the Bay of Izar. It is relatively well detailed and a good place for starting a campaign on Emer.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Danarchis or Reandor.  Both kingdoms are stable and basically rich Renaissance age states.  Stories just jump.  They are also naval powers, and The Sea is always good for adventure.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
I believe the Bay of Izar area in SWMA4 was intended to be that type of area. Not sure how good it is at doing that though - I seem to recall reading suggestions that it was a bit. D&D. It also needs quite a bit of fleshing out.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
I believe the Bay of Izar area in SWMA4 was intended to be that type of area. Not sure how good it is at doing that though - I seem to recall reading suggestions that it was a bit. D&D. It also needs quite a bit of fleshing out.

Fleshing out eh? Just up my alley. :)

Thanks folk!

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
I'm running a campaign that started in 6041 TE.  The new Katra of Stroane has consolidated power and in the process of invading Miir and Helberna along the north coast of the Sea of Votania.  The area is a "blank sheet" with ruins and undeveloped areas throughout Miir plus great plot lines with the war and ongoing invasion.  Many kernels of ideas in the Haestra timeline to work from and my group has got some leveling up time before heading to Jaiman or Ardania for 6045 TE events.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »

There was a very nice Bay of Izar map in SWMA4 that I'm going to include in Emer I 2nd Ed, and I'd like to hear more about how the adventure material was "D&D." I did not write that expanded section--though, looking at the credits, I see that the person who did write it inexplicably did not get credit. (As an aside, I had little control over SWMA4, but that's another story.) In any case, I was thinking of including some of that expanded material in Emer I 2nd Ed, and would love specific feedback about it, positive or negative.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I have started SW campaigns in Rhakhaan, Quellbourne (northern Jamain), The Bay of Izar (lots of good places to start there) & on other worlds.

I believe Reandor is only a "naval" power if you count the Lake of Glass as a sea or ocean, as I don't believe the nation extends beyond the mountains to the west.

Edit: Just remembered, a great place to start is in the new and upcoming nation of Ardania. The PCs can get embroiled in the machinations of those behind this rise of power in the east (of Emer, not Middle Earth - just making it clear  :o).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »
There was a very nice Bay of Izar map in SWMA4 that I'm going to include in Emer I 2nd Ed, and I'd like to hear more about how the adventure material was "D&D." I did not write that expanded section--though, looking at the credits, I see that the person who did write it inexplicably did not get credit. (As an aside, I had little control over SWMA4, but that's another story.) In any case, I was thinking of including some of that expanded material in Emer I 2nd Ed, and would love specific feedback about it, positive or negative.

I can't find where I read it - I think it was something along the lines that a lot of the possible adventure scenarios were combat/dungeon oriented.

It is quite a nice beginning area, and there are some connections to major events too. Might be a good place to have a collaborative project, like the old TSR Living City project. Lots of areas, towns and cities to develop.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
I've started a few campaigns in Sel-kai - always a great place to start.  Right now I'm running two games.  One is a group of Yinka assassins in Tanara (meant to be several sessions, but not an on-going thing), and the other is in Rhakhaan.

But just as important as where, is when.   The 'current' time according to the latest timeline is, in my opinion, not the best time to start.   I like to run around 6050 or so, where the timeline is beefy and there is lots of events going on.  It really gives the world a dynamic feel.   Sure you can develop your own future timeline, which is good if you want to head off on your own direction, but to me nearly every entry in the timeline is a plot hook that could be fleshed out into it's own adventure.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
But just as important as where, is when.   The 'current' time according to the latest timeline is, in my opinion, not the best time to start.   I like to run around 6050 or so, where the timeline is beefy and there is lots of events going on.  It really gives the world a dynamic feel.   Sure you can develop your own future timeline, which is good if you want to head off on your own direction, but to me nearly every entry in the timeline is a plot hook that could be fleshed out into it's own adventure.
Great point! I like to start a bit back from the end of the timeline, myself. It allows me to interject "news" of the world as the PCs run around and give them the feel of a "living" world. (Hopefully.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

Aye, an interesting point especially when trying to develop content. Looks like having a 10 year span of recent history (and additions to the further history as required) might be an approach, allowing the GM a choice of starting points.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Timelines?  No...

20+ years of running a SW campaign, and my world is 120yrs into the 4th age.  All of the 90's failed to release enough information to keep up with our game.  I am very accustomed to going my own way, as the players actions determine I will add.

Having just picked up SW Master Atlas IV (for the heck of it really), The Izar map is very nice.  There is some info on the area in Curse of Kabis too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »
The Izar map is fantastic.  I'm not sure who made it.  Glad to hear it's coming in the new Emer I.

Offline Telwyn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
-Haalkitaine for a campaign focused more on politics, factional in-fighting and (potentially) warfare. 

-Danarchis for a more open-ended adventure/exploratory campaign. 

-Sel-kai for a 'city-based' campaign with more of a balance of content themes - trade/underworld/politics/travel.   

-I once ran a low level 'frontier' style campaign based out of Kelfour's Landing, Quellbourne.

Offline JohnnyR

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
I like Xaar/ Saralis for its rural/ wilderness environs. New players (to RM or even rpg's) wouldn't need an infodump. "You are in the cold wilderness. Think Canadian forests" (my interpretation anyway); they can face "familiar" animals (wolves, bears) before learning more of the SW canon. There are villages and towns of various sizes, again starting small before graduating to larger cities with their more complex politics and intrigues.

My 2 cents; I expect change  :P

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
Although Norek isn't cannon, that is my favorite place to start new campaigns.
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
Since I missed it originally...

Rhakhaan ( Haalkitaine ) was one of the main starting place for the campaigns my group did.
Sel-Kai/Eidolon was another one.

I also went completely crazy and started a campaign at the back end of nowhere ( The junction of The Rhylian Way and the Old Coast Road ) on Govon.
But this campaign didn't last long there... It was too much work to flesh out Govon based on the the information in The Star Crown Empire.
I quickly started to move them around to places where it was easier to create adventures.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Would you say that cities are a good starting point?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Sure, just like any other game setting I suppose.