Author Topic: trouble with teleportation  (Read 3015 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: trouble with teleportation
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
Think of it this way:

In some Sci-Fi games you can essentially "back up" yourself by creating a clone and having your consciousness downloaded into it.  It's the high end expensive healer behind the curtain.

There's also tech that allows someone to mentally program an individual with a new identity and personality.

How different are those really?

Both these things imply that teleportation via a data steam is not only entirely reasonable, but possibly even more commonplace.  Can it therefore be hacked?  You betcha.  And I LIKE the thought of that in terms of possible game material!

You guys have actually convinced me this would be more fun than it would be unbelievable (which is pretty darned relative in a Sci-Fi setting).

A slightly lower-tech variant would involve reading the data, and transmitting the data, but not actually sending any matter. Instead, you just have a clone or avatar waiting on the other side. You might need to have it shipped in advance. But once it's there, you can mentally hop back and forth by overwriting the pattern of the recipient, and putting the sender into stasis until the recipient hops back (or dies).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: trouble with teleportation
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
You could even bounce back and forth between worlds given the proper reliability in data transfer.  Although if it's actually 'saved' somehow it could just be redone... still, I might treat this like any file that's been copied too many times, little bits and pieces will eventually go missing or bad even when you think you're 100% golden.  Essentially you'd be making a copy of a copy with each transfer.

Oh the possibilities...
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss