Author Topic: Ark of worlds  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Tim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ark of worlds
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Hi, what is the ark of worlds? I've been looking and cannot
Find any mention of it.
Thanks

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Ark of worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
Hi, what is the ark of worlds? I've been looking and cannot
Find any mention of it.
Thanks

It is a very powerful artifact kept at the Ahrenlaakh, of the Eight Secrets. It is described briefly in Powers of Light & Darkness.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »
If I am not mistaken, it is like Codex of Infinite Planes in AD&D; it is used to transport between worlds & dimensions. From the little I remember it is very hard and dangerous to use.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Tim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:02 AM »
Thanks!!!

Offline dyarshu

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
THE ARK OF WORLDS

The Ark is in fact only a container for a powerful artifact, but over the ages the Ark itself became an item of power merely because of its continuing proximity to the Universal Key.
     In appearance the Ark is a circular casket about three feet in diameter, with large carved handles extending from two sides. The Ark is made of the enchanted black Dir-wood, trimmed with gold and many rare enchanted elements. The lid is also of Dir-wood and gold trim and there are three silver clasps around the rim. On top of the lid is a small gold globe with a beautiful dragon crouched on it with wings spread.
     Inside the Ark, bathed in its own golden glow, is an item from the First Era. While it is referred to as the Universal Key (or simply "The Key"), it is in fact a small orb only two inches across. Controlled by thought, this small bauble can transport the holder instantly anywhere and anywhen. It will open Portals and moved through the infinite planes of the universes. It is so powerful and perilous that even the Jerak Ahrenreth members fear to use it. It also has a will of its own; members fear that it would resist 'evil' use, perhaps by tricking the user into becoming trapped in another time or place.
     The Ark is normally stored in a vault in the Ahrenlaakh (one of the Eight Secrets) lined with the Essaence-inhibiting metal kregora.

GM Note: the Key is a ridiculously powerful device, and it is strongly recommended that PCs never gel 'heir hands on it. If they do, they should be taken on a nightmare ride through the universe and dumped in a parallel plane where they have a slight chance of returning to their home Kulthea – without the Key (which has managed to escape through time).

EFFECTS

Anyone within 30' of the Ark (assuming the vault is opened) will begin to feel an occasional 'stuttering' effect as lime begins to fold on itself and things repeat.
     Anyone touching the Ark will feel a physical pulling, a dreamy sensation of vertigo like they are falling. People around them seem to move fast, slow, backwards or flicker in and out of existence.
     If the Ark is opened, all within 1-10 miles will begin to 'waver', changing slightly as the area shifts across alternate time lines. People's clothing, the weather, even individuals themselves, will undergo a continuous shifting while the lid is up. There is a 10% chance that, when the lid is closed, the area in question has shifted to an alternate timeline.

GM Note: This may sound nightmarish/or GMs, but it sets up an interesting quest scenario (assuming the PCs get out of the Ahrenlaakh alive; maybe the place is abandoned in this timeline!) in which the PCs must travel through a strangely altered yet similar Shadow World and get to a particular Gate (see Places of Power, Part 10) and transport back to their own universe. Naturally, finding out where to go and how to set the gale will be a challenge...

Anyone looking directly at the Key will find themselves (and, optionally anyone in their party) transported anywhere they might be thinking of (in this case the transport will only be spatial, not planar or temporal). Anyone touching the key is thrust into another (possibly Chaos) plane - and might suffer some serious Mind Erosion problems (see the Evil Mentalist Base list of the same name).

-- Atlas Addendum (from the Emer Boxed set, out of print) © 1990 ICE
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:16:18 AM by Terry Amthor »

Offline Tim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Many thanks Terry you are a legend.

Offline Tim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
So are you Dyarshu

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
So are you Dyarshu

Thanks to Dyarshu for all that typing (or from the looks of it, perhaps OCR scanning), but I do ask that if you are going to quote a SW book, please include the citation, like I added. This helps readers to know not only where it came from, but that it is in fact from a SW book and not something that was just suggested by the writer here in the forums.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline dyarshu

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
Sorry Sir.  I forgot.  It was typed in, as I do not have a scan of those books.  I have a very battered and well read / loved set.  I will help whenever I may.  I Have enjoyed Shadow World since it came out, and still do so.  Thank you for the work.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »
Sorry Sir.  I forgot.  It was typed in, as I do not have a scan of those books.  I have a very battered and well read / loved set.  I will help whenever I may.  I Have enjoyed Shadow World since it came out, and still do so.  Thank you for the work.

Hah hah, no problem; I appreciate your effort. It's just helpful to the other forum readers to know where all that juicy info came from  :)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.