Author Topic: Other Planes of Existence  (Read 4816 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Other Planes of Existence
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:01 AM »
Partly out of curiosity, and partly because I'd like feedback, what would you like to see me work on vis a vis other planes of existence?

For example:

after I finish the current series of articles regarding psionics for RMSS/RMFRP, I am planning a series of six items, encounter tables for the six basic elemental planes, plus new critters. Would something like that for other planes interest you? Or would something more akin to elements of, say, something like the oldschool Manual of the Planes from TSR be more of your interest?

In short, what would you like to see covered, and of potential use in your RM campaign(s)?
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Other Planes of Existence
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:34 AM »

I'd be interested in some thoughts or perhaps rules on how to make alternate plane(t)s different in terms of the basic structures of magic (and/or physics) and how that might affect PCs in a Rolemaster rules context. (If you've read Feist - his upper and lower planes have differing affects on Pug and Magnus as they travel there and require accommodations by their own spells or time)

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »
I would be interested in elemental plane source material. As i am working on a campaign for RMFRP using ideas from Dark Sun setting and some from the Rift MMOrpg.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
I've had a positive response from Peter Mork vis a vis the elemental planes encounter articles for Guild Companion, so I'm pencilling those in.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Excellent :)
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
The elemental planes are pretty much a given for most gamers I think.  You may also consider a light/dark split.  I think you'd definitely want a plane that souls go to.  Chaos and Order too. 

As for the rest, I suspect a lot of it might get into personal preference.  Good, evil and neutral might be related to deities specifically depending on the gamers world outlook.

For example...

I'll have a plane for every divine deity and the sphere's they encompass (and, yes, I have mortal 'deities' - basically super powerful mortals who have reached a level of power that they actually have 'followers' they can channel power from, sometimes unwillingly on the 'followers' part).  If a divine deity dies, it is almost surely only an Avatar, and they re-form on their own plane.

How does the GM handle something like invisibility?  Is it the merely the bending of light, or are they actually on a parallel plane of existence where you can still see the 'normal' one?  For example, I might say that invisibility takes you to the plane where 'ghosts' and such (partially intangible undead) reside.  So you can still see and effect the normal plane, but are very hard to see by people on the normal plane.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
All,

I've used a similar array of realms:
(1) Elemental - an AD&D (Manual of the Planes) style use of Elemental Companion arrayed in a single huge construct (see a very old Guild Companion)
(2) Other Realms - alternate plane(t)s of existence where "demons" aka aliens from other worlds are summoned from (and hence may be good, bad or indifferent) - the world's deities may also appear here (under different Masks - to borrow from KQ)
(3) Ethereal - realm of magical energies and spells (through which gates connect worlds, where invisible people are visible, etc.)
(4) Spirit - realm of the afterlives (of the deities) and the spirits (ROCO II types - like emotive, rational etc.), only those with strong Wills persist (or persist in the embrace of their diety of great Will)

So basically the triumvirate of Astral (real space), Ethereal and Spirit are throughout the universe. The other Plane(t)s are reached via (usually) the Astral or Ethereal.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
Oh yeah... how could I have missed all the demonic and 'hell' planes???
Most ICE stuff lends well to have 9 'Hells' (i.e. demon of the 9th pale and so on).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »
It would need some extra-dimensionaltreatise as well, since a fair bit of creatures are interdimensional.

My benchmark for extra planar stuff is TSR's Planescape: you make anything in that vein and I'd be delighted.
Game On!

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »
Elemental planes sounds interesting. Are you going to depict characters that have gone to those planes and how it has changed them? Reasons why they went there. What kept them there and why they occasionally might visit their original world again?

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
it's an interesting idea, nortti, one that begs to be developed, but one outside of my areas of interest. It would suit, for example, a list of characters that included more than just the bare bones, and that looked at, for example, a range of adventuring situations rather than just the usual monster-punching.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
it's an interesting idea, nortti, one that begs to be developed, but one outside of my areas of interest. It would suit, for example, a list of characters that included more than just the bare bones, and that looked at, for example, a range of adventuring situations rather than just the usual monster-punching.

Perhaps it could be done in terms of new Talent/Background Options - Flameborn X pts - PC has elemental Fire in his or her blood. +10 RR vs. Fire spells/attacks, +10 bonus to Flame spells, etc.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
I like that idea, especially if integrated into an RMU version of the Elemental Companion. As a result of the idea, it's something I'd be interested in working on if & when I get the time.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
I seriously doubt this even deserves an honorable mention, but there is one alternate realm we have used in the past when we just wanted to play a session of pure fun and laughter.

Toonality.  A combination of the words cartoon and reality.

This is very similar to Bugs Bunny vs Elmer Fudd, Road Runner vs Wile E Coyote, etc.

There have been many times we have had a hoot playing these.  The only difference is that we would play cartoon versions of our characters with cartoon versions of nemeses.

Otherwise, just ignore this as brain fart.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
I seriously doubt this even deserves an honorable mention, but there is one alternate realm we have used in the past when we just wanted to play a session of pure fun and laughter.

Toonality.  A combination of the words cartoon and reality.

This is very similar to Bugs Bunny vs Elmer Fudd, Road Runner vs Wile E Coyote, etc.

There have been many times we have had a hoot playing these.  The only difference is that we would play cartoon versions of our characters with cartoon versions of nemeses.

Otherwise, just ignore this as brain fart.

Sounds like material for the April issue...
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
I would like to know rules on how to make plane(t)s different in terms of the basic structures of magic

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
KacyCrawford,
Welcome to the ICE Forums.

As per magic I simply alter the rules. Reduce PP or increase PP, have spells cast more or less, adjust the fumble rate, etc. Is that wat you were looking for?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
Planes are interesting thing...just my thought from planes...

There can be as many planes of existence as GM wants but...

I think that demons come from 10 different planes. Every plane goes further from "known" worlid. Every plane is different, demons on planes are different. Planes are not necessarily deserted and hot places (as we see in movies and in books). Those places where things are not necessarily working same way as in normal world. For example the first plane, where so called lesser demons live, might be twisted image from real world. No real civilization, but remains of that are there. Maybe there is a place where unfortunate person keep their base...first plane is terrifying place, but still somehow manageable.

Further the person (caster?) goes in planes, more twisted the things are. Demons grow stronger, get more organized and at 9th plane. There are well organized fortresses. Plane might consist from several floating isles...what ever GM wants. Point is that more the higher plane number, more twisted and dangerous plane is for coming person and for demon too.

Then elementals...those are not living planes actually. Those are spirits, live in spirit world and are partially in "known" world. Those will materialize to this plane when forced, but are kinder in nature than demons, why? Those part of known world, but demons are not. Demons live at other planes, which are their home. Demon's basic nature is twisted, mean and evil...why? Their natural hatred and lust of power makes them that, but also the planes where those live or be, twist the mind bit by bit. Well...there are chaos...chaos is the most dangerous and same time it is not. Only thing why chaos is counted as evil, is, because it uncontrollable and unpredictable and works differently than any mind. It can be figured little bit like...

Lets take some number of persons. Every person thinks different way...then just put those thoughts to same picture and thats it. Hard to describe, hard to organize and hard to control. Demons are the beings that live on chaos plane. There are only one chaos plane. There are no levels like in normal planes. Everything is mixed up there, it covers larger areas, it is between and around the other planes. It is the most dangerous place for any being to enter, it might go well, but suddenly it starts to rain yellow water from the earth, which is sky where windblows from all directions and road seems to continue all the time, but it ends without warning. Normal mind is not able to handle that world. Demons or beings who are from that plane, don't be there. Those are part of it...not from it.

Then some wise guy asks...what are the elemental demons...twisted elemetal spirits or demons who have taken control of the elemental.

Where souls go? That is another series of planes. If demon or some evil entity takes the soul, it goes to plane where that entity came from. If it is evil soul...or good soul...it goes to their gods plane. Bit like heaven in  this world is thought to be...those souls might become champions or other good entities. If soul went to other plane, then negotiations to return it need to be done with the lord of that plane.

Where demons come from? Demons can be the souls of twisted, cunning, mean and evil beings of the known world. Those might be the evil spirits...

Well..only some of my thoughts...maybe that helps :-)
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
Maybe one (or more) reminiscent of the concepts of the Tuath-DeDanu (spelling??) and/or nature spirits.

And yes, such articles would be great for TGC.  We would love to see them and be happy to provide an outlet for them.

Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)