Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35703 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
I've seen autoHARP on RPGnow for more than 6 months. If your selling it, why is it still ion beta? I was thinking of ordering AutoHARP for use in my game but if it is still in beta I don't think I will. Unless it is out of beta????

My actual questions:
1. Is it possible to add my own things to AutoHARP like spells/new professions/new combat actions/etc?
2. How hard is it to add house rules like a reduction in the penalty for scaling spells?

Essentially can I add and tweak AutoHARP to fit my game?

Bruce

If it still says beta anywhere then that is my mistake. I would say at this point in time AutoHARP is definitely out of beta. 1.04 is proving to be a pretty stable app.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
From dagorhir:
Yes, you can add whatever you like to the database files so long as you know xml. I have completely changed the databases to suite my own campaign world. But instead of changing the standard Autoharp database files, I created my own files that are in a separate file folder. In short, I created a new book.
--------------------------------------
Once you have a book created, how do you import it?
Also, in the "Manage Books" menu, there's a column labeled "Base Rules," with each option as a true/false choice. Most options in Martial Law and CoM are false, and a few are true. What is this selection supposed to represent? I'm sort of confused with that, and am not changing anything until I get clarification.

Ah yes... the manage rules tool. That seems to be a doosy and I really should make a tutorial on it. So here's a rough draft of what that does.

Importing a new book happens auto"magically". That is, if you have a folder in the HarpDatabase/Harp Fantasy/ folder or HarpSci-Fi folder, I believe it gets automatically recognized and you are asked if you want to include it. What happens then is the information is added to a file called config.xml which is located in that very folder. Once the book is installed you won't be asked again. This is how I keep track of installed books.

Now let's try a walkthrough. Let's say you just bought and installed Martial Law and/or College of Magics. When you first open the application you should be prompted to add the books to the database. Once you say yes, then open Manage Books from Tools on the menu bar. You will get a dialog. Select Database will select the database inside the HarpDatabases folder in the AutoHARP application folder. So in that folder there should be two databases: one for Harp Fantasy and one for Harp Sci-Fi. We are concerned with Harp Fantasy as the books we got are from that system. So we select that database. 

You should now see a listing of all the books from the HarpDatabases/Harp Fantasy folder. Martial Law and/or College of Magics should be included as is the main database Harp Fantasy. Next to each book is a checkbox. Checking the book means that book will be used in the application. Unchecking it means the book is not used. You will notice that each book contains the same database files. Now the big question that came up when doing this is, okay, so I have Martial Law and Harp Fantasy both checked. Now which book do I use for Base Rules?

Base rules are any rules that are specific to that particular book. The biggest example here is the defenses database. If you are using Martial Law the odds are you want to use the defenses database that comes with the system since Martial Law uses its own set of rules. Harp Fantasy has it's own rules as well. Thus if you want to use Martial Law defenses then you say "true" for the base rules under Defenses under Martial Law and "false" for the base rules under Defenses for Harp Fantasy. Installed Martial Law should automatically have Defenses marked as Base Rules true. Items also use base rules for coins. There are also some standard definitions that are based on the book at the top of each database file. These are the base rules for that book and selecting true will use those rules over the same fields that are present in the other books. Notice that each book contains the same database files which contain the same xml node tree. The only thing that should be different between the books is the data that goes in the xml file. XML can be checked by passing the file through a template. Let's take the file DefensesForHarpFantasy.xml There is a complementary file in each book called DefensesFor<bookname> where <bookname> is the name of the book. The template for each of these files is exactly the same. Some fields are book specific so those fields are denoted in the base rules column.

Database Location is where the database is stored relatve to the HarpDatabases/HarpFantasy folder. You can change this field to whatever you want. Word of caution, you can break the database doing this. The EASIEST way to not break the database is to create a whole new folder, copy the Harp Fantasy database into it and work from there. That way you will not break the main books. I would highly recommend to anyone starting out customizing to start in this way. Once you understand the nuances then you might be ok with making direct changes to the main database files themselves. You can make as many books as you want. That's how I would create a customized database. In fact, take it from the programmer, I would "never" change the main database, if I want a custom database I would copy the database, call it, "Custom Harp Fantasy" and work in that database. That way you never lose the main rules of the game.

Spells Table is where the actual spells are. I had to create this field  because there are two spells xml files that are related to each other but you really only need to concern yourself with the main spell database called SpellList. If you select SpellList the Spells Table field is filled with the location of the Spells that correspond with it. I suppose I could have put it all in the same table. I can't remember why I did it in this way.

I hope that helps. I hope that kinda clears up the dreaded Manage Books. It's actually not that bad, it's just daunting because, yeah... you are setting up how the database is going to work and it is important to understand what Base Rules are and why it is important to have them setup correctly.

Another note: I'm sorry I haven't been around checking on things, but I'm currently in school. I currently have slated some time in March to hopefully get a version 1.05 out there as I have a list of bugs and enhancements I want to add. Some enhancements might not make it as they would require a bit more work. As for the spell penalty idea, having AutoHARP be tweeked in that way is certainly part of the scope, but the problem lies in just how many of these fields are we talking about in making customizations?

Cheers

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
Ok, I might be able to live with that. I think in the demo I had I was able to get into and see a way I could change the character sheet. I don't remember.

What about my previous post?
------
I've seen autoHARP on RPGnow for more than 6 months. If your selling it, why is it still ion beta? I was thinking of ordering AutoHARP for use in my game but if it is still in beta I don't think I will. Unless it is out of beta????

My actual questions:
1. Is it possible to add my own things to AutoHARP like spells/new professions/new combat actions/etc?
2. How hard is it to add house rules like a reduction in the penalty for scaling spells?

Essentially can I add and tweak AutoHARP to fit my game?

Bruce

Adding a reduction penalty for scaling spells is not possible right now. Perhaps in a future release, however I think it would be nice to investigate how many custom fields like this people might want so I could draw up a window and organize it.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »
Running AutoHARP 1.04 on Ubuntu 13.10... or should I say, not running.

I installed it using the Java jre archives. That went through without a hitch. However, the executable file for actually running the program isn't doing diddly. I get no response at all -- no windows, no popups, nothing to tell me it's doing anything at all.

Am I doing something wrong? At this point I'm half tempted to install the Windows version and run it under WINE.

Some help here, if anyone has it running properly under Ubuntu/Linux.
Thanks.

I haven't test for 13.10 yet, however I don't think that should be an issue. Did you check to see if the application can be executed? Perhaps the JRE installer wasn't able to make that switch. If you still can't get it to work we can try and wait to see if someone else on 13.10 was able to get it to work. If you are comfortable with WINE that could be a solution. If all else fails, you could try and talk to Nicholas about a refund.

Not worried about a refund. I've also got a 12.04 laptop I'm going to try it on as well, and once I get my other laptop set, I'll test it on Fedora, just for grins.

If I recall, I did make sure the .jre file was executable. I'll check again to make sure.

I'm very comfortable with WINE, and have installed several apps without any problems on Ubuntu 13.10.
I'll give it a go and report back.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »
Installed on Ubuntu 12.04, no hitches.
Same thing happening with the autoharp executable once installed -- no action.
It is marked as an executable file (-rwxrwxr-x) in the permissions.

Tried running it from the CLI (love doing that in Linux, old school...) -- error when loading shared libraries:
Code: [Select]
libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so.5: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
I think that's most likely what's wrong when trying it on my 13.10 desktop as well.
I'll check on that and get back to you.

UPDATE:
This appears to be part of the wxWidgets Library. Something tells me it's needed to run the program under Linux.

UPDATE 2:
On the plus side, I have it working through WINE, looks like without an issue. Have all three databases loaded in as well.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
That's a library alright. It seems you are the only person who decided to report the issue. However I think you are probably one of the few (if not the first) who actually tried to figure out what happened and did. I'm very glad you did. I'm also glad you were able to get it working on WINE. It might take time for me to get to this. I'll write up a bug report on it and hopefully get it functional. I think the issue is I do not include that library when I am compiling the program. If that's the case then hopefully a rebuild is the fix.  8)

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
That's a library alright. It seems you are the only person who decided to report the issue. However I think you are probably one of the few (if not the first) who actually tried to figure out what happened and did. I'm very glad you did. I'm also glad you were able to get it working on WINE. It might take time for me to get to this. I'll write up a bug report on it and hopefully get it functional. I think the issue is I do not include that library when I am compiling the program. If that's the case then hopefully a rebuild is the fix.  8)

No problem whatsoever. Glad to be a Linux guinea pig for you. :)
Once I get my other laptop up and running on Fedora 16, I'll definitely have it installed under WINE again, but I'll test the Linux install once that's sorted out.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
I'm going to try and work on version 1.0.5 starting now. I will only be able to put in an hour a day, so it may take a few weeks to get out. I would like to know what kind of customization you would like. Currently I won't have time to put together a race editor, profession editor, or the like but if you have customize values in mind like, the one above where one can reduce the penalty on a scaling spell. What I will do is put together a "preferences" dialogue where the user can adjust this value. It will be a part of the preferences.xml. For those who are pros at XML, you could just tweak this file as the dialogue will be a front end to it. I have about 17 issues/enhancements to look at. I will also try and figure out if I can repair the fix to Ubuntu. I'm not an Ubuntu expert, I'm a lot more familiar with Windows so I hope the fix is simply to include the library that appears to be missing. If it is more than I will then hope an Ubuntu expert might be able to download the application and patch the issue. Remember the application itself is free, just the database costs. So if anyone has downloaded the application for Ubuntu and has fixed the issue with this library I would *love* to hear about it.  8)

Also I would love to know opinions on the combat tracker. Has anyone used it? Is it easy, hard or impossible to use? Is it intuitive? Is it fun? Does it work, that is make the combat better to manage? Any bugs? Any ideas to make it better?

Thanks!

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2014, 03:09:24 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'll be glad to test on both Ubuntu and LinuxMint Debian.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
I'm going to try and work on version 1.0.5 starting now. I will only be able to put in an hour a day, so it may take a few weeks to get out. I would like to know what kind of customization you would like. [...]

If you could add some persistence in the UI would be great. I tend to maximize the window when I use AutoHarp. It would be nice if it could remember the last window size when it opens and go back to that size.

Thanks

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
So a small update:

1) I did find a way to do window persistance in wxWidgets so that will be doable for 1.05
2) Most bugs/updates have been done. There are some that are hard to add because the bugs themselves are vague in the problems. But for the most part I'm finishing things up
3) The biggest hurdle in creating a front-end to customizing the database was simply "where" not "how". I didn't want to add this to the application because I felt that would render the licensed databases obsolete. If I was given an application that makes races, cultures and professions, I would just spend the time to add them myself. However if I make them HTML5/javascript based I can include them with the database download where I think they should be located. I'm surprised it took me this long to come up with that idea, but it did. So for the future I will work on a customizing database app but it will be web-based. Not sure when it will be finished but I'll start with races, cultures, and professions and see how it works. I'll then move into the other database files as I get to them.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
Does Autoharp keep track of which training package selected and at which level?

If it doesn't, it would be a "nice to have" that is does.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Done. Training Package information now appears on the xml save file for the character and the character sheet itself under the Items/Equipment page. I do not print the description of the training package as that might bloat the equipment section, however I do print the cost of the training package and the level it was added. I also have the character's talents now printed on the sheet under the same Items/Equipment section. Profession abilities now print here as well. Hopefully there is enough room on that page for all of that.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
Done. Training Package information now appears on the xml save file for the character and the character sheet itself under the Items/Equipment page. I do not print the description of the training package as that might bloat the equipment section, however I do print the cost of the training package and the level it was added. I also have the character's talents now printed on the sheet under the same Items/Equipment section. Profession abilities now print here as well. Hopefully there is enough room on that page for all of that.

Excellent

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »
Another nice features that could be useful:

1- Existing Character wizard/form: A form that would allow entry of an existing character not created with Autoharp.

2- NPC Creation wizard: A wizard that would allow the creation of an NPC of any level without going through the level up wizard for each level. The Wizard would have to allow the possibility of having multiple professions. The DPs would essentially be 50 + (50 * Total Level) - (Number of professions -1) * 20 (or 15). It would also need to have the Traits from chapter of Martial Law, just for completeness (if the ML DB has been purchased of course).

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »
The NPC Creator has been on my mind for a bit unfortunately it will have to wait until the next release as it would take too long to implement. The existing character import is interesting, however my question is what formats am I importing? This might be a very complex program.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
The NPC Creator has been on my mind for a bit unfortunately it will have to wait until the next release as it would take too long to implement. The existing character import is interesting, however my question is what formats am I importing? This might be a very complex program.

I was thinking manual input only. Nothing too fancy.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
Hmm... I think manually there is greater tendency towards error in the character sheet than if the person were to just go through the Wizard and make the character sheet. I also wonder if the manual input would take longer than just going through the wizard. In making the character sheet the wizard does a lot of stuff behind the scenes error checking and calculating and putting things where they need to be when it's needed.

I guess I need to see more of the picture of this manually inputting idea if you have the time to render some images on it.  :)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
Essentially, it's for characters that have already been created and are written on paper character sheets. With these, we might not have all the information to go through the wizard to reproduce the character exactly. This would mostly be used for characters of higher then first level. I would simply use the wizard for first level characters, since there's not much that could be missing.

The player characters in my current game have been created outside Autoharp. Lack of record keeping makes it impossible to recreate them now. The manual input would allow me to bring in the characters into Autoharp for future level ups. Then I could use Autoharp with these characters.

That would be the best.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
Ah... I think I'm beginning to see this. Interestingly enough I think this can be done now, it's just not all that obvious. Here's what I would do.

1) Start with the wizard and input the race, culture, sex, etc. Pick three talents, you could pick talents that should be there or not worry about it and just pick three random talents. It doesn't really matter.
2) Next step select the profession and again select a talent if necessary. When it comes to the stats you can input random values if necessary.
3) You can skip the third step entirely and just complete the character sheet.
4) Now just fill in each tab according to the written character sheet. Now you can add all the skills and ranks and fix the talents so they are the talents for the character, fix the statistics so they match the character sheet, etc.
5) Okay.. so what about levels one might ask? Well there are two ways. The easiest and fastest way is to just change the level in the xml file itself. The other way is to just click on add level and click through the steps. You don't have to do anything in the New Level Wizard. You can literally skip through the steps and just make a level. However it would be a lot faster to just open the xml file, and change the level value to the level you want.

This might not be as easy as a simple manual form, but in the end, I would probably create something that follows this exact pattern of steps anyways. Once you get to the main character window, you can adjust a lot. The problem here is that you lose a lot if not all data relating to skills and their level, their type, training packages and you would have to manually add in the profession abilities that come at certain levels. I would be curious to see how this proposal works or have you already done this and there are pitfalls I may be missing?