Author Topic: Request: ICE Should think about using CreateSpace PoD  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Yahiko_n_Tsubame

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Request: ICE Should think about using CreateSpace PoD
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
First off, I apoligize if this is the wrong section to post this in. I put it here as it's a request, although if anotherplace would be better, feel free to move the thread

Now, I know that ICE currently uses OneBookShelf to print their PoD books. However, I think that ICE may want to look at Amazon's CreateSpace PoD service since:
-It would be listed on Amazon, a site uses by many to find books, which could help RM find more players. Another game, Basic Fantasy, Noted that CreateSpace sold much more books than their other PoD service.
-It would be cheaper. Right now, Many gamers have tight budges, which makes it less likely for them to spend cash on a new RPG.
Right now, Basic fantasy has a CreateSpeace core book for ~$5 and modules for under $4. While RM wouldn't get prices these low, I figure that it would still be much lower than OBS. And the lower the price, I think the more people would try it out, creating a pleasant snowball effect.
It would also get the free super-saver shipping adding to the value. Not to mention that this would (in time) apply to the European market as well.

I think that if there wouldn't be any license conflict, ICE has much to gain with it.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Request: ICE Should think about using CreateSpace PoD
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
I have books on Lulu and, wow, CreateSpace is quite a bit cheaper. Have to try that out...
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:41:31 AM »
First off, I apoligize if this is the wrong section to post this in. I put it here as it's a request, although if anotherplace would be better, feel free to move the thread

Now, I know that ICE currently uses OneBookShelf to print their PoD books. However, I think that ICE may want to look at Amazon's CreateSpace PoD service since:
-It would be listed on Amazon, a site uses by many to find books, which could help RM find more players. Another game, Basic Fantasy, Noted that CreateSpace sold much more books than their other PoD service.
-It would be cheaper. Right now, Many gamers have tight budges, which makes it less likely for them to spend cash on a new RPG.
Right now, Basic fantasy has a CreateSpeace core book for ~$5 and modules for under $4. While RM wouldn't get prices these low, I figure that it would still be much lower than OBS. And the lower the price, I think the more people would try it out, creating a pleasant snowball effect.
It would also get the free super-saver shipping adding to the value. Not to mention that this would (in time) apply to the European market as well.

I think that if there wouldn't be any license conflict, ICE has much to gain with it.

Basic Fantasy is not making any money at all on those print books. They are essentially being done at manufacturing cost plus CreateSpace's percentage (which is higher than OBS's). The manufacturing costs for OBS aren't that much higher and are actually cheaper on a per-page basis for some formats, plus OBS can provide all formats whereas CreateSpace is perfect-bound softcovers only.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:26 AM »
The point here is that the level of exposure and cost to the customer will be a significant factor in expanding the popularity of any RM revisions (i.e. RMU) with customers who are not already owners of existing RM products.

The question here therefore is: Should a "Soft cover only version of RMU, a Basic tester set of RMU" be effectively released as a loss-leader, before the release of other formats and expansions via a more profitable method for the company?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:51:15 AM »
The point here is that the level of exposure and cost to the customer will be a significant factor in expanding the popularity of any RM revisions (i.e. RMU) with customers who are not already owners of existing RM products.

The question here therefore is: Should a "Soft cover only version of RMU, a Basic tester set of RMU" be effectively released as a loss-leader, before the release of other formats and expansions via a more profitable method for the company?

The RMU Basics / Lite will come after RMU is complete and released. In terms of exposure, we already are providing a zero-cost trial of RMU as it builds through the playtest.

CreateSpace may be a better proposition in the future for a RMU Basics / Lite or we may be in a position to get RMU into mainstream distribution; likewise Lightning Source may offer more in the future and may improve their shipping costs as well.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme