Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Books vs HBO Series  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Game of Thrones: Books vs HBO Series
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »
I am curious who has read the books and also watched the HBO series of Game of Thrones so far.  I have actually not read the series, so I'm wondering how people feel they compare.  Obviously video never really truly covers the written in almost all cases, but do they have the same 'quality' I guess I'd say?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Game of Thrones: Books vs HBO Series
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »
  I have read and seen the series but I read the series so long ago I cannot really remember any differences. But I can say that I love the TV series.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:31:46 AM »
I read the books very recently, because I wanted to have read them before I started to watch the series. Loved the books!

The HBO series is very good IMO. Casting is mostly good, with some exceptions (Jon Snow is not at all as I imagined). The only real problem IMO is that the series does not spend enough time on introducing the characters. There are so many interesting persons and getting to know them adequatly from the series is hard. My wife, who has not read the books, seems to have trouble following who is who and what motives they have etc, and I don't blame her.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
 While thinking I seem to remember that Hodor caries Bran on his back instead of in a cart. But I can see why that changed in the series.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
Jon Snow is way more passive and way less cool in the series.  Other than that I think I like that series better.  If the series holds its quality even when the books spiraled down (book 4 and 5) I will be very happy.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
I read the first few books and thought they were better than the series at first but then the story plummeted after that and now I think the TV series is much better overall. If your looking to buy the books get them cheap at a second hand store is my advice.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
Ah, it sounds almost like the Wheel of Time series in how there are declines in the 'quality' of the writing.  The fourth book is often when things start to get flat (although in the WoT things got better, then went flat again imo - still have not finished the series).

I've noticed that with a lot of TV series too, the fourth season is often when even pretty good series start to lose a little of their shine.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »
I have read all of the books but only seen series one.  The casting is pretty good - Littlefinger is awesome as is the Imp.  Jeoffrey actually reminds me of a nephew when he was younger and is portrayed well.  Dany too cardboard, Jon too whiny.  The issue I had with the tv series is that there are so many characters running around they usually aren't actually introduced, as in named, until their fourth appearance so even I was confused.  I haven't seen the second series yet but from descriptions the battle on the river is much more impressive and longer in the books.

As for the books Martin needs to redo the last two into some sense of chronological order.  Dance of Dragons had some good parts but way too many sudden character apearances and seemingly random story lines whose actual importance other than filler has yet to be determined - in 5-7 years...
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
Short answer.

The TV series do adequately represent the books (To about 95% accuracy)
 Downside. Not knowing the in depth character backgrounds makes understanding a lot of the nuances in the TV series very hard to pick up.
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.   Just deciding if I should go read the series or not.  I don't have much issue with following things (although I can see how some would) but I suspect what I'm missing are things like the full motivation behind why certain parties do things (like Stannis(spl?) - you don't know a whole lot more than he wants the throne and has, supposedly, some claim to it).
- Cory Magel

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
The show did take some liberties with Stannis - or at least made some things blatantly obvious that I did not get at all from the book.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha