Author Topic: 16 year study of Milky Way's black hole  (Read 6165 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
16 year study of Milky Way's black hole
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Here is an interesting video story about the ESOs 16 year study of the black hole at the center of our Milky Way.

http://www.eso.org/public/videos/eso0846b/

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: 16 year study of Milky Way's black hole
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Interesting video.  Had read an article a month or two ago about this very study and found it interesting (had thought about posting a link to the article, but wasn't sure if anyone else would be as interested in it as I was).  Thanks for posting the link.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
cool...but the music is far to loud.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
Interesting video.  Had read an article a month or two ago about this very study and found it interesting (had thought about posting a link to the article, but wasn't sure if anyone else would be as interested in it as I was).  Thanks for posting the link.

Post anyway.  There is bound to be at least one person (me, in particular) here who would find it interesting.

cool...but the music is far to loud.

Totally agree.  However, usually, I browse the internet with sound muted due to the fact that I have ran across so many websites with bgsound set so high it literally embeds you into wall behind you, even with my volume set to only 2%.  Thus, I always mute my sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfHNhkSOG0

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
Speaking of interesting articles about space, here is an article about the Kepler-62 system: http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news/2013/04/two-water-worlds-price-one?et_cid=3212805&et_rid=41410028&location=top

As well as Wikipedia's listing of planetary systems so far discovered or suspected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_planetary_systems

Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
Yeah, neat stuff; I like this kind of stuff, it spurs the imagination.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
As well as Wikipedia's listing of planetary systems so far discovered or suspected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_planetary_systems

I have a spreadsheet designed to convert the coordinates in this listing into 3D Cartesian coordinates.  I'll upload it to the vault when I get it done.

rmfr

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
I have a spreadsheet designed to convert the coordinates in this listing into 3D Cartesian coordinates.  I'll upload it to the vault when I get it done.

rmfr

Looking forward to seeing it. 

That is one of the things that I always liked about SM over other sci-fi/space games, is that many others use 2-D maps for star systems, which really doesn't give you the full potential for options and depth of neighboring systems (while I liked Traveller, that was the thing I disliked the most about it and was happy to see how it was handled in SM when I started buying the books back in the 80's). 

That's also one of the great things about Eve-Online, is that it uses an actual 3-D map (and with a few planets in some stellar systems having orbits that are out of kilter with the rest of the system on occasion). 

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
Another interestin garticle relative to planetary discoveries (using a little different technique than those commonly used): http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/14/einstein-planet-new-alien-world-revealed-by-relativity/.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »

rmfr

Looking forward to seeing it. 

Wanted let y'all know that I am working on this.  Have a lot of data cleanup after exporting/importing from HTML to spreadsheet.

Anyone know of a good method or tool for doing this without the need for a ton of data cleaning?

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:20 AM »
Finally, here is the spreadsheets.  Attached, and once approved, is the file StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.zip.

I know I posted I had a spreadsheet, but I was wrong.  Sorry.  What I used was a database at UNM that outputs the final results in a CSV file.  Then, I import that into spreadsheet progams.  Sorry for any misleading or confusion...

Files in StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.zip

FileList.txt - text file listing below
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.csv - Comma Separated Values file
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.ods - Open Document Spreadsheet (OpenOffice)
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.qpw - Quattro Pro Workbook (WordPerfect Suite)
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.txt - same as CSV file above but with TXT suffix
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.xls - Excel Spreadsheet (pre 2007)
StarsWithPlanetsCartesianCoordinates.xlsx - Excel Spreadsheet (2007+)

rmfr (arakish)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
Here is another interesting article about three confirmed super-earths within the life-zone of a nearby star, for those who are interested:

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news/2013/06/three-planets-habitable-zone-nearby-star-0?et_cid=3334432&et_rid=41410028&type=headline

Haven't had the chance to look yet to see if these are included in the data provided above by arakish, as I just came across this article at work this morning. 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
 I saw that article myself. I am always amazed by just how many super earths they are finding. But then again if you have bad eyesight and you get new glasses it is the same thing. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
hehehe...  Yup, as technology and our observational tools improve, we discover more and understand more.  Although often times the answers also raise more questions, but that's part of the fun behind science. 

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
This one is less science related and more economics related, but figured with this thread having several article links, might as well post it here for anyone who has not seen this yet.  PayPal Galactic-> pay your bills and make purchases while in space: http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2013/06/paypal-creates-way-buy-things-space?et_cid=3337189&et_rid=54634990&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.laboratoryequipment.com%2fnews%2f2013%2f06%2fpaypal-creates-way-buy-things-space

At first I kind of laughed about it but if we are ever going to truly expand our society out to the stars this will be needed.

The article also includes a link to make monetary donations to SETI.  Or if you have computer hardware with spare time available, there are also options for donating computer time to SETI by installing BOINC software (this is something that I do with my home computer during the night while sleeping as well as while at work during the day).  Or there are many other scientific organizations that are looking for remote computer processing resources through the BOINC if SETI doesn't interest you including geologic, biologic, astrophysics, etc. research organizations).

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
And here is another one that might be of interest:  Hubble Sees an Actual Blue Planet (but not caused by water):

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2013/07/hubble-sees-actual-blue-planet?et_cid=3362965&et_rid=54634990&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.laboratoryequipment.com%2fnews%2f2013%2f07%2fhubble-sees-actual-blue-planet

It appears (or so they suspect from the observations thus far) that the color could be caused by raining liquid silica (glass).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
 Yes a lot of people forget that glass is a super cool liquid.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »
Claoking Device (at least a good start on the technology, which has been in development for nearing a decade now): 
http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news/2013/11/thin-active-invisibility-cloak-demonstrated-first-time?et_cid=3599289&et_rid=41410028&type=headline

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
And here is another one that might be of interest:  Hubble Sees an Actual Blue Planet (but not caused by water):
Hubble and other observatories have made intensive studies of HD 189733b and found its atmosphere to be changeable and exotic.
That is one way to put this:
On this turbulent alien world, the daytime temperature is nearly 2,000 F, and it possibly rains glass – sideways – in howling, 4,500-mph winds.
Sheesh! You don't need an umbrella so much as a force field! Very neat.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.