Author Topic: Craft, Materials and Quality  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Abdanck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Craft, Materials and Quality
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »
Hello,

Anyone could tell me about the crafting difficulties ? Is it the same for a chain mail than a Full Plate ?
And what about special material like in rolemaster ? I can't find the low Steel/high steel/etc... material bonus chart.

At last how i can craft an armor with a masterwork quality (from +5 to +15) ?

Exemple : i want to craft a chain mail in high steel (+10 material bonus in RM) with a high quality (+10).
The difficulty it's only 121 ? (101 + 10 + 10) ?

Find below the chart i have done for Rolemaster. But i'm not sure the rules are the same for Harp.

Offline Abdanck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Craft, Materials and Quality
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
On the same topic, there is any magical crafting rules except Runes Mastery Spell ?

Potion ? Imbedding ?

I have done an extensive enchantment rules for RM2, but there is all the materials with the Alchemist base list.
Do i need to convert and do some house rules to have some magical crafting in Harp ?
Something is planned in the future ?

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
If I recall well, there are rules in Loot: a field guide about alchemy and all magic crafting.

High bonus material... maybe in Martial Law?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Abdanck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »
Thanks !

So i need to wait for the re-release with the new Harp rules.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:36 AM »
Masterwork and standard special materials (high steel, etc.) for weapons and armor are in Martial Law. Prices have been lowered.

Magic item creation including potions are in College of Magics with additional material in Loot:a Field Guide.

All of which books will be returning.

I will try to post some more detail before the forums go into maintenance mode.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:36:25 AM »
I have some old house rule on the crafting of armour and weapons - it is slightly d20-ish, but it worked well for us. Prices are based on old Harp. You can find them here - be advised that these rules probably need some tweaking, perhaps lots.

The materials are based on the old Martial Law, so not as detailed as what you show. Basically I created the rules to determine time and difficulty for creating armour and gear. Main focus was on time, beyond "base time". Difficulty is more based on material than actual item crafted. Improved items takes more time rather than being more difficult - this could or should perhaps be combined. Another -10 on the roll for each +1 to OB MB/WB or DB MB/WB in addition to extra time. If this way is selected base difficulties for materials might need to be tweaked.

Also, if Item complexity comes into account, I'd divide that into 4 (or more) categories: simple, standard, difficult, complex (or something like that). For instance one could argue that creating a coif or some other chain-mail or chain-plate armour pieces to be more complex than hammering out a plate breastplate (although I wouldn't actually know if that is the case, but it seems to me that it could be). Simple items have a modified of +5, standard +0, difficult -10, complex -15.  Or something along those lines. Then all you have to do is to decide what items fit into which category - this could of course also be based upon what tools and tech that is available to the crafter.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
Would be happy to see that here. An conversion of the ME Herbs would be fine too

Offline Abdanck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
I have rebalanced all the equipment prices to match with the metal weight, as the economy is based on metal.
1 Cp (or Bp in RM) = 0,1 Sp = 0,01 Gp.

I have add the Tin piece under the Copper.

And i have based my work on the crafting system on the "Making Craft Work" Copyright 2010, Mark L. Chance, published by Spes Magna Games.

I will post the system converted and the Equipement list.

Offline Abdanck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
Every Craft attempt is defined by two elements: the time required and the difficulty. The materials qualities can vary the difficulty.

Very Simple: These items are more or less all one piece or one material of simple shape with no moving parts.  Examples: crowbar, quarterstaff.

Simple: A simple item is largely made of one material, but it requires a more specialized shape. Examples: many simple weapons, backpack, most common articles of clothing, simple traps such as pits.

Moderate: Moderate complexity items are characterized by diverse materials or different parts that must be integrated into a whole.  Examples: Most weapons, bows, all shields, locks, simple traps using simple mechanical triggers.

Complex: Complex items have diverse materials, moving parts, different parts, and/or decorative bits. Examples: Most types of armor, Composite bows, crossbows, and most vehicles (excluding large ocean-going vessels).

Very Complex: These are the most complicated items. They require diverse materials, moving parts, different parts, decorated bits, and/or multiple functions or uses. Examples: ocean-going vessels, unusual armors (such as barding).

Complexity   Time Unit   Base Maneuver Diff.
Very Simple   8 hours   Routine
Simple      2 days   Light
Moderate      4 days   Medium
Complex      1 week   Hard
Very Complex   2+ weeks   Very Hard

In attachment the Craft tables and my Equipment list revisited (sorry lot of entries are in french i'm too lazy to translate back to english)

I have used this system with the Magical item creation too adapted from the original rules, with a "normal" pricing.

As i'm converting the Pathfinder AP to RM or HARP now, i'm playing in a High Fantasy magic setting. So the prices for common low magical items are more affordable.