Author Topic: Feedback from a brand new player  (Read 4213 times)

Offline mgarnett

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Feedback from a brand new player
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
@Colin-ICE

That's really encouraging news and I look forward to seeing the new design.  I think full colour books will help bring in new players and just give things that little extra wow factor.  I really think getting some extra content would be great also.

Reading some threads in these forums and there are a lot of very experienced players here.  I wonder how many of these people have been writing their own material.  If they have, ICE may have a ready made pool of content/adventure modulesthat they could draw upon.  Do ou guys invite and accept submissions from fans and players?  I only suggest this as it might be  relatively easy way to address a percieved lack of content for the RM system.

I'd be interested in hearing what those people think who do/have/are designed or designing adventure modules for their own personal use and whether they think it's a good idea to submit material for publishing.

Cheers

Mark

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
GCP is very happy to discuss potential adventures and modules from the fans. We've a number of adventure products in the works for Cyradon, Shadow World, and other settings, but more is definitely better.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Regarding the lack of modules and materials...

I'd never really thought about this before and I suppose that compared to other systems, it's a valid point. Although, there is something about RM that seems to attract a certain level of hardcore gamer.
I sometimes speak to other gamers and there is this little elitist demon sitting at the back of my mind as they talk about 'those other games'. I know it's wrong, I really do, but I can't help but feel that RM is one for the 'grown ups'. This mix of dedication, elitism and old-school-geek-intellect leads many (most?) RM GMs to create their own campaign worlds (and modules). I haven't played or run a pre-written module since my group played Shadow World back in the early 90's, but in that time I have written scores, maybe hundreds of adventures and 3 campaign settings.

Yes, RM does lack some things and it would benifit as a product, if those holes were to be filled. I don't need them, I probably never will...but hell, I'd love the opportunity to get a few published for the new breed of RM gamer  ;)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
todays world is plug and play.  few even remember DOS, command line functions, executables, etc.  TTRPG is no different.  Modules, as I understand it, are not very profitable.  If true, a new method for generating and distributing needs to be developed.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Jacinto Pat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »
It's funny, but I also see Rolemaster being for grown ups as well, and as someone trying to act like one, I simply don't the time for anything much beyond "plug and play".  No more weekends with nothing to do beyond the 2 mandatory hours of chores, and no more month long school holidays, so give me something to work with and I will find a way to make it work in my game.  Expect me to make it on my own, and I will have to give up 3 months of gaming nights to get ready for one evening.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
It's funny, but I also see Rolemaster being for grown ups as well, and as someone trying to act like one, I simply don't the time for anything much beyond "plug and play".  No more weekends with nothing to do beyond the 2 mandatory hours of chores, and no more month long school holidays, so give me something to work with and I will find a way to make it work in my game.  Expect me to make it on my own, and I will have to give up 3 months of gaming nights to get ready for one evening.

+1.

I just don't have the time I had years ago to make my adventures, which is why i now convert modules.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mgarnett

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
Hi All,

Yep, that's my problem as well, just no time anymore to "roll my own".  I'm a full time worker, with a young daughter and I'm also doing part-time Uni, so I just wouldn't have the time to devote to designing my own world and adventures.

I think this is a trend that's probably going to be the norm rather than the exception in today's world.  More content allows both "camps" to enjoy the RM system, which I think can only be a good thing for the system?

My perception of the RPG gaming world at the moment is that the Pathfinder system seems to be the most popular, although I'm not basing this on any actual facts.  It has very high production values, a deep and rich campaign setting and oodles of adventure content.  However, the system could just as easily be adapted to any campaign world and as such, GMs are still free to design their own campaign settings and adventures if they desire.  I see this as catering to both groups and it's really a win-win for everybody concerned, regular published content, high production values and lots of players means, IMHO, that the system is going to be around for a very long time.

From what I've read so far in the RMC rulebooks, I'm really impressed with the system and I can't wait for my first game.  I'd love to see it do well and expand its user base along with the system itself.

Cheers

Mark

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »
Books very useful in RM for fleshing out worlds/cultures/etc are Martial Arts Companion, Channeling Companion, Castle and Ruins, Game Master Law and Treasure Companion.

Obviously, and rule set will provide additional structure, but those are particularly good.  Guilds, commerce, religions, new professions, schools, forms of govt, even adventures are inspired within them. 

For us old heads, we watched a lot of games we liked go out of business.  Support material that assisted adventure/world design was a necessary path with no adventure modules.

Adventure modules are not as profitable.  Only GM's tend to buy them for starters.  Path Finder uses a sponsor system that helps them a lot.  With the money up front, paying a writer is simple and a one time deal.  Any sales that follow will be print on demand all all profit (ideally). 

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
I have a query about RM modules elsewhere in this same forum.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
...I can't help but feel that RM is one for the 'grown ups'. This mix of dedication, elitism and old-school-geek-intellect leads many (most?) RM GMs to create their own campaign worlds (and modules). I haven't played or run a pre-written module since my group played Shadow World back in the early 90's, but in that time I have written scores, maybe hundreds of adventures and 3 campaign settings.

Yes. This.

Modules are a hard topic.  They were good at first (at the start of the industry), especially for D&D, but eventually they lost much of the attraction for both the gamers and the companies.  You'll often hear people 'in the know' say that modules are considered a pretty iffy product in terms of viability (read: profitability).  I suspect the RPG gamer crowd started to outgrow them, even putting aside that TSR started putting out pretty sub-par stuff towards the end (which partially facilitated WotC buying them out).

Also consider (as A.R. states) that RM gamers are typically rather experienced and, as a result, tend to create their own settings or possibly use highly modified existing ones.

So, are modules a good idea?  Well, imo, yes and no.  No in terms of the veterans.  Put out source books that give you the tools to use their concepts in your own setting or fairly generic modules that can be very easily dropped into just about any setting.  Yes in terms of new gamers.  My assumption would that a setting for RM would be put in place around or shortly after a RM Lite.  Once a 'lite' version of RM is put out (assuming it's actually 'lite' enough) and, hopefully, new customers start being drawn in then I can see true modules (not just source material) doing better.

All just my opinions though.

Books very useful in RM for fleshing out worlds/cultures/etc are Martial Arts Companion, Channeling Companion, Castle and Ruins, Game Master Law and Treasure Companion.

This is exactly the stuff I want in terms of RM expansion materials.  Now, to be honest even though I think they are good books, I'm kinda beyond the Martial Arts and Channeling Companions, because I'm designing my own stuff that do what they did, but this is the kind of material that I believe a LOT of the RM crowd need.

Obviously, and rule set will provide additional structure, but those are particularly good.  Guilds, commerce, religions, new professions, schools, forms of govt, even adventures are inspired within them.

Exactly.  Give them some fairly generic tools and let them implement it when and how they like in their games.

Adventure modules are not as profitable.  Only GM's tend to buy them for starters.  Path Finder uses a sponsor system that helps them a lot.  With the money up front, paying a writer is simple and a one time deal.  Any sales that follow will be print on demand all all profit (ideally).

Print on demand is a double edged sword in my opinion.  It removes a lot of the risk from the companies, but it also removes the product from the shelves, which I feel is still a very valuable aspect of marketing.  As we move forward online will become more and more the primary source, but right now I feel any game that wants to be more than a side hobby of it's creators, needs to be more visible - i.e. on the shelf.

I wish that some agreement could be worked out between the stores and the companies using print on demand or primarily online efforts and the brick and mortar stores to allow the stores to buy even just a single copy of each book at cost (no profit but no loss for the RPG company), then when one of those books sell the store moves to paying what they normally would in order to stock the product... meaning the RPG company now gets to start making a profit when the store RE-stocks the book.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 12:41:45 AM »
I guess that game stores have a similar business model to material that bookstores do: that is, a certain percentage of the cover price is taken off as a trade discount, to allow the stores to cover overheads such as wages, power, storage, transportation costs, and so on.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/