Author Topic: Converting campaigns to Unified RM  (Read 2153 times)

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Converting campaigns to Unified RM
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:55:51 AM »
Hi

I am faced with a dilemma in two parts. Two questions are at the heart of the matter:

1. How easy will it be to convert an existing RM campaign to Unified RM? (Will there be guidelines?)

2. Which might be closer to Unified, RMC or RMFRP?

Why am I asking?

My group wants to play the new RM as soon as it goes into Beta playtest - August according to the last news.

My group wants to start a campaign in the next 2-4 weeks, using either RMC or RMFRP (we own both), mostly in case the Beta is late.

As GM, I am concerned to be able to take forward PCs into the Unified RM with minimal fuss. Hence my questions.

Any advice for this situation welcome.

(Given the player enthusiasm for getting started, waiting another month is the least favourable option - losing 4 sessions of energy is a no-no.)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Converting campaigns to Unified RM
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
Every edition of RM has been very simular to the previous.  As such I would assume transitioning to RMU will be no more difficult than transitioning to RMSS when it came out.

We spent an afternoon doing character rebuilds when RMSS was released.  It was actually quite fun.  That was the only bump in the road other than learning the phase system for combat.  I'm betting SCSM are going the way of the dodo...well, see there, ya got me started and I promised myself I would wait and see!  Yet like you, I am very curious as to what the changes will be.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious... but I really need to decide if it's best to run RMC or RMFRP before the RMU is released. Any recommendations?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
It's a tough call. There's an argument that says go with RMC because character creation is less involved in that version, but likewise I can tell you that there are innovations from RMSS/FRP that are part of RMU character creation. Go with whatever your group find easiest BUT stick to the core rules, core professions, core races, etc. A profession from a high-numbered Rolemaster 2nd Edition companion or an exotic race like merfolk or centaurs from RMFRP Races & Cultures would be bad choices, for examples, because they won't exist in unified Rolemaster yet. Stick to the core.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
Many thanks, Nicholas. Core rules it is then. ;)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
And even doing that, there is no guarantee you won't find some significant differences between old and new versions of the character. Maybe you could find a way to start the campaign with one set of characters, then move on to a new set, so you can explore the new character generation rules unfettered by trying to come close to some existing character. I'd suggest something like a prelude scenario that sets up the main campaign, possibly with a lengthy gap of game time between the two.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »
Character has to come first, system second.

If these are are in direct conflict the system has to give way or to go away. The thing I like about RM is that you can just tweak it to your roleplaying needs.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
If you can structure your game with a "prologue" that might make a transition easier to work into the game.

E.g. the players start as children or apprentices or squires, go through some events that establish their personalities and bring them together, but the main storyline will begin one or several years in the future, and they will have more training before that happens.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
Those are all excellent suggestions, and thanks to everyone for helping me to get my head around making the new RM campaign fly.

We are playing in a homespun setting which blends Fantasy, Classical History, and Post-apocalyptic into something fresh. In short, it's easy enough to run a prelude scenario, perhaps to recover an artefact from the ruins.

Having spoken to my players, they seem happy with the idea of a prelude too. It seems that posting here has really benefitted my game. Many, many thanks!

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
One follow-up question:

I notice that the beta playtest for Unified Rolemaster will include Character Law, Spell Law and Arms Law. Given that we will need to run adventures, which version of Creature Law would you recommend - Classic or FRP? Or will there be a selection from unified Creatures included?

As I'm planning adventures, it'd be useful to know which book it's best to reference for needed Undead and monstrous combat stats.

Hope you don't mind me asking.  ;)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
I'm facing something of the same dilemma, but based on past experience with systems I've found it easier to use Classic/RM2.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
The monster stats barely changed between RM2 and RMSS. Starting with either will be about equal work. (RMSS/FRP Creatures & Monsters was pretty close to a combination of the monsters in RM2 Creatures & Treasures plus Creatures & Treasures II, though with some longer descriptions.)

The changes will be greater for RMU, but you should be able to adapt earlier materials well enough to be getting on with. It will take some time to go through the first three books, of course, and while you're reading and digesting those, work will continue in order to get the other two books of the core done. I won't pretend you aren't likely to experience some wait between being ready to play and being able to get your hands on Creature Law, but it should not be a long wait.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
I've been surprised at how very little RM has changed over the years.

We use a lot of the old MERP modules for RMFRP and the conversions are easy enough.
  Even the really old stuff in RoCo's (Rolemaster Companions) is easy enough to convert.
Everyone has points they like/dislike. YGMV.
Just a few examples:
1) The old stat bonus system was easier (+5 progression), but I like how you get smaller bonuses at lower stats in RMFRP.
2) The separation of spell types was a good addition, too. For the most part, it's clear how spells interact with the game world.
3) Skill Cat's make sense to me. I don't wan't to lose those.

If the new system maintains RAW that I don't like, then that's easy to convert as well. I don't use it.  :)
1) Penalties for PP exhaustion. Being low on PP is bad enough.
2) +50 Artifact weapons (crazy over the top example) is trumped by your riding skill..
3) Clean up poor example so they are pertinent to the the current rules. Don't assume otherwise intelligent people understand the cut and paste editing that may no longer apply.
4) DP based on stats. This is a carryover from bonus xp from high stats in D&D. Having higher stats is bonus enough.
I looked at some of the D&D versions over the years and I didn't understand why you basically had to learn an entirely new game just to play. IMHO.

In all it's incarnations, I don't feel RM was ever that negligent to it's fan base. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
The changes will be greater for RMU

How do you know this to be a factual statement?

Just curious.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
The changes will be greater for RMU

How do you know this to be a factual statement?

Just curious.

Because I am involved in implementing those changes.