Author Topic: Critical questions  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Critical questions
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
A couple of questions regarding criticals:

Do you know where I can find an index/reference for the various critical tables? I mean, something that will tell me the name of the book and page number where each table can be found, like: Vibration Critical Table, Book X, Page Y.

Also, do you happen to have written or know where I can find some homemade critical tables, like the "death crit table" from a Guildcompanion article?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Critical questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
I do not have anything like you ask for.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »
In fact, I don't think any such thing has been written up.  Since most of my products are also now in PDF format, I printed (or photocopied when needed) all critical tables and put them into a single ring binder that I titled "Critical Law."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
There's an xls file in the vault called 'attack crit index' or something. All crits locations (books). This is not the actual tables. I'll look around.

The author is Brent Knorr
ob1knorrb.com

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:09:13 AM by providence13 »
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »
There's an xls file in the vault called 'attack crit index' or something. All crits locations (books). This is not the actual tables. I'll look around.

The author is Brent Knorr
ob1knorrb.com

Great!

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
I made my own one of these, had the attack tables and the relevant critical table(s) straight afterwards. Revolutionary! Very helpful when you're trying to make a complicated combat last less than 3 hours.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
I couldn't find it in the Vault, so I uploaded what I had. Hopefully it will be ok'd soon. I gave all props and credit to Brent. Just passing the list along.
Should be under RM and Tables..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »
Your upload is now approved and available in the RMSS/FRP section... Additionally, I uploaded the file also in the RMC section.

Here are the links - both are the same file.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item802
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item803

Enjoy!
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
One thing I did a while back was create my own version of Everything and a Ten Foot Pole before it was even released and photocopied each attack table with its critical table and put them into a 3-ring binder.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
One thing I did a while back was create my own version of Everything and a Ten Foot Pole before it was even released and photocopied each attack table with its critical table and put them into a 3-ring binder.

That's a seriously large binder. :o

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Thank you guys, that's exactly what I was looking for!  :-*

I remember my first RM master did something similar!

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »

I actually have the original Arms law in the single heavy card stock sheets.  I make copies and place them in a  3 ring binder and then replace them when they get ...munged.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »

All of the tables in a plastic sleeve fit into a 3 inch 3-ring binder. :) Also, this didn't include SpaceMaster tables. [;)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »
I actually have the original Arms law in the single heavy card stock sheets.  I make copies and place them in a  3 ring binder and then replace them when they get ...munged.

One of the things I've always liked about the heavy card stock attack/crit tables is that they can go many more than 1 session without getting "munged"... and they're easy to pick out from any of your other paperwork. Makes the game easy when the guy has his own attack tables and, even if he has half a dozen other sheets of paper, he doesn't have to shuffle to find out which one is attacks/crits.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
One of the things I've always liked about the heavy card stock attack/crit tables is that they can go many more than 1 session without getting "munged"... and they're easy to pick out from any of your other paperwork. Makes the game easy when the guy has his own attack tables and, even if he has half a dozen other sheets of paper, he doesn't have to shuffle to find out which one is attacks/crits.

I have actually gotten some heavier colored paper and made copies of then for me.  Blue for OH weapons, green for ranges, a light red for crits.  Helps when i am searching for a table quickly.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
Well not only that...

You pass out the tables, melee weapon to the meat shield, bow to the archer, etc.

After a while, the player who always plays archers knows all the modifiers for visibility, cover, concealment, range, angle, windage, etc. better than you do, and when anyone has anything happening at range he's helping you referee the mods. Same goes with the meat shield for anything happening at melee range. Same goes for the mage with anything magical. Given time, the GM only has to GM the scenario logic, everybody helps keep track of the game mechanics.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Well not only that...

You pass out the tables, melee weapon to the meat shield, bow to the archer, etc.

After a while, the player who always plays archers knows all the modifiers for visibility, cover, concealment, range, angle, windage, etc. better than you do, and when anyone has anything happening at range he's helping you referee the mods. Same goes with the meat shield for anything happening at melee range. Same goes for the mage with anything magical. Given time, the GM only has to GM the scenario logic, everybody helps keep track of the game mechanics.
And that's how Rolemaster should be played! Teamwork!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
Teamwork is great, but man do I remember one player. Okay.. now as above, give a player an arms law book and after a few games you would expect that player to figure out how the book is laid out, to get more efficient at looking up tables, know the modifiers, etc. Well I had one player that always wanted the arms law book but I cringed every time. I cringed because this player "always" took minutes to find the table. I hate pointing finger but it was because of that player that combat took forever. People blamed it on the system, but I knew in the back of my mind the real reason, but in such a situation I just didn't want to say anything. This guy didn't even know the books he owned. It took him literally 2 minutes to find his spells. On his character sheets, 5 times out of 10 we would have to tell him where to find that skill. He just couldn't figure anything out. He was okay at the game mechanics  though but just barely enough to get by. So yeah.. I agree, teamwork, but watch out for that one player.  :o

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
That's why I prefer card stock tables to books. The meat shield has the melee weapon, the archer has the bow, they aren't having to share a book. Neither one of them has a stack of tables, they each have 3 or 4, tops. How lost can they get?

But on the other hand, when the mage casts a bolt at the monster hiding in the ruins, the archer can give him every detail about how visibility/concealment, hard cover, lighting, shot angle, etc. affect his bolt. If someone charges the archer and he has to break out his melee weapons, the meat shield has him covered for tables and such.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
Teamwork is great, but man do I remember one player. Okay.. now as above, give a player an arms law book and after a few games you would expect that player to figure out how the book is laid out, to get more efficient at looking up tables, know the modifiers, etc. Well I had one player that always wanted the arms law book but I cringed every time. I cringed because this player "always" took minutes to find the table. I hate pointing finger but it was because of that player that combat took forever. People blamed it on the system, but I knew in the back of my mind the real reason, but in such a situation I just didn't want to say anything. This guy didn't even know the books he owned. It took him literally 2 minutes to find his spells. On his character sheets, 5 times out of 10 we would have to tell him where to find that skill. He just couldn't figure anything out. He was okay at the game mechanics  though but just barely enough to get by. So yeah.. I agree, teamwork, but watch out for that one player.  :o

I had a player like this but in his case it was attention that he desired. While everyone was looking at him he was getting his thrill on.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.