Author Topic: (Privateers) Everyman, Occupational, & Restricted applies to skill categories?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does the Everyman, Occupational, and Restricted adjustments apply to skill categories or just skills?

For example: a Kagoth spends DP purchasing a rank in Athletic*Brawn, does this earn him 2 ranks instead of 1?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
just skills.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 I could be wrong but I think that E,O,R only applies to skills. If it is listed for a category then it applies to all skills in that category but not that category itself.
 I say this as I do not remember seeing any way to label a category as E, O or R on a PC sheet but I do not have one in front of my and I have used my own for years.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
On a related note...

When a professional bonus applies to Awareness Group, does this mean it applies to all Awareness Groups or does the player have to pick one to receive the bonus?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I say this as I do not remember seeing any way to label a category as E, O or R on a PC sheet but I do not have one in front of my and I have used my own for years.

I have a suggestion if ICE is listening. On the skill list sheet there's a wide gap between the name of the skill and the first column, if there check boxes corresponding to O  E  R to indicate what the skill was that would be very helpful.

So the Skill Sheet might read like this:
                                                 New
SKILLS                            O  E  R  Ranks
_____________________   [] []  []  ooo

Make sense?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
When a bonus is listed for a group it applies to all groups unless it says otherwise.

Some Skill Sheets I have seen have a skill classification area for the E, O, R listing. But I like your option even more and with today's page layout software it would be very easy to do.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I found one character sheet that's landscape 11 pages in length, and it's great for home campaigns but for demo games simpler is better otherwise you risk intimidating players.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I found one character sheet that's landscape 11 pages in length, and it's great for home campaigns but for demo games simpler is better otherwise you risk intimidating players.

>>ReaperWolf

I agree, I think the sheet I did on my Mac way back when was 9-11 sheets. I guess it is time for me to do a new sheet on the PC since I have a MAC no more.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
BTW, thanks to everybody for taking the time to answer my many, many, many Privateers questions.

I'm sure my con players will appreciate it this weekend.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
As RAW lists, EOR is applicable to only skills (notice emphasis below).

Quote from: SM book
Occupational,
Everyman, and
Restricted Skills

Note that the skill remains in its
standard category and the category is
not affected in any way
. In addition,
hobby skills, adolescence skills, and
training package skills are not affected
by these classifications.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Yes on everything said.  You have a linguistic hiccup that's causing your confusion on awareness group and since everyone else picked it up and started doing the same thing, I thought I'd point it out.  There aren't multiple awareness groups.  There are multiple awareness CATEGORIES.  There's just one awareness group, and it contains all awareness categories.

Thought I'd clear that up for the future.  all the answers you got here were correct.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline jupistar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Does hobby skill development count the EOR multiplier, as well?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
No. It affects the maximum ranks you can spend, but doesn't affect the ranks themselves.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline jupistar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm not sure I understand. What I was asking is: for a human, there are 10 Hobby Ranks gained during adolescence. If I put 2 Hobby Ranks into "Duping" (an influence skill I want as Everyman), do I gain 4 actual ranks in this skill?

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Offically no.

However, I always allow the Everyman, Occupational and Restricted multipiers to be used against ALL skill ranks however gained. It doesn't seem to make much practical sense to exclude them. After all, what is the justification when some are in effect simply racial abilities or part of the basic makeup of the character (if purchased as Talents)?

I could perhaps understand it with the E/O/R definition for those recieved as part of the profession... but even then..hmmm

Offline jupistar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I understand you to be saying, "No, but I allow it in my games as it makes more sense to me." Your reasoning for why it makes more sense is unclear, still, as is your explanation concerning a "possible exception" regarding profession-originated skill advancement. I'm sorry for being dense, but I'm still missing something, here.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
jupistar,
 Officially as Defendi (the SM:P author) said the rules state that the E,O,R ranking does not modify the skills before level adolescence.

But what others say is that the Professions are genetic types and cannot be turned off and on at will so the E,O,R costs should be applied to all skills no matter when they are acquired.

Does that help?
MDC     
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline jupistar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Oh, that does help. It explains Grinnen's comments about the training packages--that being "trained" they are not the same as a talent that is innate to the race/person. I'm not sure I understood Defendi's comments (I know and appreciate who the poster is :P), though. I'm afraid I may be missing something when he says that they "affect the maximum ranks you can spend". If I'm a human criminal, then the maximum ranks I can spend is two (per level) on Body Development. How do the EOR multipliers affect that? Can I spend more or must I spend less?

I'm absolutely fascinated with this system. This system is exactly the sort I was dreaming up in my head before I found it. The only place where my mind and this game seems to part ways is the nature of combat. Everything else is just awesome.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
by the rules, OER also does not apply to training packages (SM:P 172).

The cost to a skill or category indicates how many ranks you can purchase, this is unaffected by training packages.
So a training package can award ranks in a skill or category, the character can still use development points to increase that skill more. Body Development is a bad example as there are no OER modifiers to that skill.

Let's say that a Soldier character has the Natural Facility with Armor talent which allows one armor skill to be classified as Everyman, he chooses Power Armor.
Later, he takes the Force Recon training package, this assigns 3 ranks to the Armor-Heavy category and 3 ranks to the Power Armor skill. He can still purchase 3 more ranks in the category and 3 more in the skill, giving him a total of 9 ranks in each for that level. that's 3 from the package plus 3 x2 for purchasing an everyman skill

Talents & flaws and the training package are found in Future Law

Offline jupistar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Got it. Thanks.