Author Topic: (Privateers) Races & Cultures: Falanar +10 DB and RR vs. thermo kinetic attacks  (Read 1865 times)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Races & Cultures book page 30 mentions Falar fur is resistant to thermo kinetic attacks granting them +10 DB and RR vs. these attacks.

What weapons and psionic abilities deliver thermokinetic attacks.

Regards,

>>ReaperWolf

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  IMHO Thermal Kinetic attacks are fire and cold related. Flame Thrower and maybe fire extinguisher for cold or some other cold weapon.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Or the cryogun from SM2 which I believe is like a flamethrower but instead of firing burning fuel, it's essentially a water pistol that shoots liquid nitrogen.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So plasma wouldn't count?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Although somewhat thermokinetic, plasma comes in three basic forms: ionic, kinetic, and fusion.

The fusion version burns at such high temperatures, almost nothing can withstand it.  IMHO, nothing has a bonus versus fusion plasma.  IIRC, the plasma repeater rifle uses fusion to create the plasma before releasing the bolt.  Thus, nothing would have a bonus versus that kind of plasma.  In fact, most substances would actually have a penalty.  Besides, if you think about it, the minimum temperature for fusion plasma is 2000K (1727C, 3140F) as this is the minimum temperature for an M class star.

Ionic plasma, such as that in a plasma globe or neon lights, is not very hot.  Thus, it won't cause much harm.

Kinetic plasma, such as that generated during atmospheric re-entry (shuttle and meteors), is also very hot.  However, it would take so much kinetic energy to produce it, that you are better off just using the kinetic weapon, such as a bullet, than to try and generate kinetic plasma.

I know the above is not very scientific from a physics point of view, but it is how I have categorized plasma.

rmfr

P.S. - To answer your question.  Fusion plasma = no.  Ionic Plasma = yes.  Kinetic plasma = no.

EDIT: see P.S.
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 IMHO, no plasma would not count.

Thanks for the science info arakish.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ionic plasma, such as that in a plasma globe or neon lights, is not very hot.  Thus, it won't cause much harm.
Although, the power required to ionise gases in a non-pure, non-contained environment is considerable. While inert gases are pretty good at being ionised, in an atmosphere you have to take whatever is around. On Earth, that makes it Nitrogen (which ionises in the ultraviolet), and that takes some serious juice. Better off using a taser really.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Although, the power required to ionise gases in a non-pure, non-contained environment is considerable. While inert gases are pretty good at being ionised, in an atmosphere you have to take whatever is around. On Earth, that makes it Nitrogen (which ionises in the ultraviolet), and that takes some serious juice. Better off using a taser really.

Very true.  But, the biggest problem with ionic plasma is that it requires a "rarified" environment to maintain.  Once that "rarified" environment is compromised, the ionic plasma is instantly discharged and no longer exists.  In the blink of an eye, it is gone.  However, if it is hot enough, as with mercury or sodium vapor, or nitrogen ionized into UV, it could cause burns up to 3rd degree in that instant.

Thanks for the correction.

Fusion plasma does not need that "rarified" environment to exist.  It tends to exist in a "rarified" environment, such as a star, but it can last for several seconds before the heat is dissipated.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm thinking I'll go with normal extremes of hot and cold attacks such as a Falar exposed to a jet of coolant or natural gas would get the bonus. If the same Falar were on a planet and had to roll a RR against the environmental extreme hot or cold conditions the bonus would apply.

Thanks for the info gang!

>>ReaperWolf