Author Topic: Artificial Gravity in Star Fighters  (Read 1311 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Artificial Gravity in Star Fighters
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
 I was looking at the star fighters in SM:P VM and noticed that the ISC craft had artificial gravity and the Empires craft do not. What is the effect of artificial gravity in combat for star fighters? And since the Empires craft do not even have G-tanks what effect does that have on their fighting skills?

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Artificial Gravity in Star Fighters
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
What artificial gravity?

Aren't RIF Generators used to counter act the effects of acceleration and provide artificial gravity?

All the fighters, with the exception of the S-5B Sparrow p. 33, have RIF Generators listed as Auxiliary Systems. In the case of the Sparrow the Auxiliary Systems section is missing. My guess is that the section accidentally got cut when trying to fit the S-8B Hawk on the page.

I don't see anything about the missing information in the 4513 Tech Law: Vehicle Manual Errata.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
  I agree that I did not see anything in the errata section. But I was very curious as to why the empire ships did not have art. gravity and all of the ISC ships did. And if they needed something to offset the gravity of combat why did they not need any G-Tanks.

OK reading the book it states that RIF in forces the ships frame of reference upon its occupants but art. gravity is required to keep down down and up up. So in an Empire ship or ships without art. gravity when engaged in combat you could lose your footing depending on what the ship is doing.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
I missed the Artificial Gravity entry. However, neither the S-8B Hawk p. 33 or S-12B Hammer p. 34 carry Artificial Gravity and they are both ISC.

The pilots are probably wearing some sort of g-suit like the ones worn by pilots today flying the F-16 Falcon.

My take is that the SM: P fighter crew straps into the cockpit/bridge just like the pilot in a F-18 Hornet or similar aircraft.

I image that like a vehicle engaged in combat, even with art. grav. that unless you are strapped in a seat you could probably be knocked about pretty good.
Tom R

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:37:19 PM »
It's technically possible that artificial gravity/inertial compensation you could tango on the open deck, drinking tea from an open cup while engaging in crazy maneuvers.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:44:57 AM »
It's technically possible that artificial gravity/inertial compensation you could tango on the open deck, drinking tea from an open cup while engaging in crazy maneuvers.

Yes that is what I was wondering. Is it like Star Trec where you can do anything or is it like a modern fighter where you will experience mild forces if you do not have art gravity or if you do not do you need G suits or even G tanks?

I also guess that in low tec you need G tanks and G suits to deal with acceleration in SM:P and an example of such would be great. Also IMHO G's of acceleration would be much slower as the crew could not handle constant combat high G maneuvers.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.