Author Topic: Armor,shields and stash  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Armor,shields and stash
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
-Are there any rules saying how much db you get from stacking armor? At 20 on top of an At 20..
Same question as the rm post, but systems may differ.

-To improve the bonus for wellmade items in sm 2ed is it possible to use the rm3 option or is it just gm fiat? Superior items are mentioned, but no rules.

-Can you use two shields at the same time? Barrier shield and say, absorbation shield?

-How do old style shields work against blasters,slugs and the like?

-If armored assault are not used, ho do you rule power armor wit cat instead of at? vehicle combat?

-Weapons with a mark 5 that increase one mark... How do they handle against at 1 normal humans?

-Will you consider the equipment in privateers to be useable with sm 2?

-Are there any good reasons why aliens with subpar stats have fewer backgrounds than transhumans? Are there a list over how many bos sm2 aliens get? it just says varies\gm.

If you guys know of offical rulings please say so.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Armor,shields and stash
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
Boy a few questions here. Most are SM2 questions so I will try and answer in SM2 style but I am mainly a SM:P player.

1) No rules for stacking armor in SM:P, RMSS or RMFRP. I think the only one I have seen in double chain and rules in the Arms Companion.
2) There are no rules besides the +5 craftsmanship for superior crafting IIRC. But in my game I have a sliding scale of lower to higher quality that provides a bonus based on material. The value of the bonus is not in +5 incriments, ie good craftsmanship of copper might be +1% to +2%.
3) Can you use two shields at once. No
4) Shields add DB vs all weapons
5) in SM:P and SM2 they have new armor types. Also you can treat vehicles as just huge blocks of hits that need to be reduced to some number before they become useless.
6) "-Weapons with a mark 5 that increase one mark... How do they handle against at 1 normal humans?" I do not understand this question.
[/size][/size]7) Can SM:P equipment be used in SM2 IMHO yes as long as the GM gives the ok.
[/size]8) "[/size]Are there any good reasons why aliens with subpar stats have fewer backgrounds than transhumans? Are there a list over how many bos sm2 aliens get? it just says varies\gm" Not that I know of. But I would guess there are abilities that make up for them. Can you provide an example and book and page number so I can look it up?
[/size]
[/size]MDC
[/size]
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »
An easy exsample of backgrounds :

Transhuman 12 vs human. Transhuman gets 3 bos, crazy good stats. Human get 4 bos, really bad stats compared. From the core book in sm2.

If you have aliens and artifacts there are no one that can compare to the transhuman.
It just makes no sense.
-------
edit
-------
Some weapons increase mark by one when used point blank. I just wonderd wich table to use when that happens with a mark 5 weapon.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »
I play SM2, so I’ll throw in what I think, but there are a few things I don’t use.

Stacking armor is a problem. I don’t know of any rules for it.

A set of rules for enhanced equipment was published on the felix café years ago:
http://cc.oulu.fi/~count/sm/FelixCafe/
I have played around with a similar system, but slightly different formulas.

I agree with markc. You may not combine shields.

I think I’d reduce the DB from medieval shields drastically against modern weapons. Never used them before so I have no numbers for you.

It really depends on what style you want. If you see powered armors as huge things like battle mechs then I’d use them as vehicles. If you see them as super armors more like Ironman then I’d regard them as AT20 with different modifiers. Perhaps give them a DB bonus if you want them to have better protection than a regular AT20.

Most of the attack tables are expended beyond Mark V, and these sections are for Mark V against RM armors. I simply use that as Mark VI. I have also made my own exertions beyond Mark VI, based on the numbers in the attack tables. Remember, a projectile weapon at PB with special ammo may increase 2 Marks:-D

SM2 and SM:P are quite interchangeable, so much of this should be ok. SM:P pays a lot more attention to details of Tech Level, so you should consider this when putting stuff into your campaign. Also, make a reality check on weapon ranges and modifiers just to make sure.

The space master races are not balanced at all, and I like it. It is up to the GM to allow a Trans XII in play. I’m not aware of any alien background option table, so I guess it’s all up to the GM… I feel like the number of background options sort of reflect on the social benefits the race can expect. So the Replicants have few since they are social scum, and the transhumans should probably had more, but it’s set to 3 for an attempt at a little balance.

-Terry