Author Topic: "Staying" a Dead Horse  (Read 1511 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"Staying" a Dead Horse
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
I've poured over all I can find about Staying on this site.
At least I'm pretty sure..

Has anyone used the Warrior Mage Base List version from RoCo II? It's pretty interesting..

"1) Staying I exerts 1lb of pressure/level on a person or object. The pressure is in one direction only and movement of the target requires concentration."
13) Staying II (5 lbs/lvl)
25) Staying III (10 lbs/lvl)

TK has a similar progression.
4) TK I = 1 lb/lvl
8) TK II = 5 lbs/lvl
20) TK III = 10 lbs/lvl

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: "Staying" a Dead Horse
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
I hate that 8 smiley. . .I think he should be drawn, quartered, and buried in unhallowed ground. . .just my 2 cents.

Is there a question involved here? Like asking why the staying are higher level than the equivalent TK?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
thanks for the reply..

Has anyone used the Warrior Mage Base List version from RoCo II?
What I was leading up to after that was, "How did this Staying work out vs the RAW Staying?

I like the Warrior Mage version better, but I haven't play tested it. Just looking for feedback before I introduce it.

Yeah, that smiley is just supposed to be the number eight.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
Someday I'd like to Coleman and Pete and ask them to show me on the doll where the bad telekinetic touched them.

Seriously, TK is significantly harder and weaker than teleportation (Leaving, Level 2, moves a whole person 100').

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
have a look at some of the original campaigns - the guys had an on-going campaign; the mentalist was played by a real rules-monger ... give him a thread and somehow he had a rope capable of tying up a ship.

Thus the TK rules were nerfed to prevent him becoming insanely powerful :)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
Cormac Doyle, That's good history to know. 'Explains a few things.

LordMiller, I always assumed that it was a typo.
As a Force spell, it could be SM'd to an instant and then SM'd to affect a fist-sized point instead of the whole object. Now it's an attack.  I could see it made higher level then, perhaps. What level would you need for a Krush Crit? :)

Realistically, it looks like Staying is TK just in ONE direction in 3-d space. Whereas with TK, the direction of applied force could be changed.

David Johansen, I agree. With 'Movement' Lists, the spells that are quick and powerful seem easier than the slow precise ones. It's easier to bend/fold space than overcome weak forces acting on the object.. ???

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
Mind you, if you allow dividing the speed at which the object can be moved to multiply the weight TK can still be pretty powerful as written.

I remember a not too long ago Fantastic Four comic in which Doctor Doom is possessing Sue and using her powers to create force fields inside bodies and do other squicky stuff.  "I've always believed Susan to be the most powerful of you four." he pronounces.

Even so I tend to believe that structural limitations can overcome TK abuse.  For instance the Dexterity 1 version where TK simply isn't fine enough to do fiddley stuff like focusing it to a millimeter point to create an exponential pressure increase.  For a more complex version you could limit the relative manipulative finesse to reduce directly with the force applied.  Say no more than 1Lbs / square inch pressure.  Sure you can still choke someone with a rope but at least they'll likely be strong enough to fight it off.