Author Topic: RoCo II for RMC (Not a reprint per se...)  (Read 4082 times)

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
Re: RoCo II for RMC (Not a reprint per se...)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »
That's the problem with trying to re-write the RM rules.  Because RM is an RPG toolkit, everyone has their own idea about what "the Rules" actually are.  ROFL.

that's exactly what it is, it started life as add ons to other rpgs - mainly for D&D - and eventually became an rpg in it's own right.

and that is why I like it, it's as many or as few rules as you want it to be.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »
I like the idea of tiered skills, as I think they reflect reality well. Skill bloat... yes, I can see the point about a dozen variations on Perception" in RoCoII. But at the same time, I think there should always be so many skills that no one person can learn to be good at *everything* in a reasonable amount of time.
Yes, because some people (especially new gamers) want to get going fast, there should be character templates for the most common character types. That being said, I can't help sympathizing with the player (usually an old hand) who wants his character to be unique, something that hasn't been done before. To that end, I think there should be a character generation process that is very freeform, that allows you to choose which skills are easy and which ones are tough according to your character concept, however off-the-wall that concept may be.
I think the easy way to bridge the space between the two would be to show in both the templates and freeform generator that making x set of choices results in the Fighter template, making y set of choices results in the Wizard template, etc. That way by the time your player has created his 3rd or 4th character, his concept of "Kinda like a wizard, but knows his herbs and animals and stuff too. Kinda like a Druid, but uses elemental magic too." or "Kind of a cross between a Druid and a Bard.... but doesn't worship any Gods or cast any spells" already has answers starting to form in his subconscious. Or if not, the player is *seeing for himself* that it's impractical and why, rather than just putting up with a GM decree.
And as long as there is enough "skill bloat" that characters will be unable to excel in EVERYTHING, all min-maxing will do is allow players to avoid putting advantages in skill areas *their GM doesn't use anyway*.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
Personally, I just want the Necromancer profession back -- WAY too cool . . .