Author Topic: Rolemaster : What have you done with it?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster : What have you done with it?
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »
As the title says. What have you done with Rolemaster that was out of the ordinary? There is a thread with people posting informations about their fantasy campaign, but have you tried something different? Something wild? Like steampunk, modern spy game, vampire game, etc. Something that is not vanilla fantasy.

What was it like? Did you encountered any problems rule-wise? What did you modify in the system, etc.

And if not, are you planning one doing something different with Rolemaster?

I always like to know how people try to do different things with game systems initially not meant for that kind of play. And it's always good to know what people are doing in their games. This board sees a LOT more rule-talk than game-talk.

So...?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster : What have you done with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:47:25 AM »
 I have adapted White Wolfs Vampire and Werewolf games to Rolmaster SS. I have aslo looked long and hard at doing a conversion of BattleTec and Traveller to SM:P. In the BT area it is fairly simple conversion for PC's and not that much harder to convert the vehicle rules. Traveller is a bit harder to convert strate accross but I just sort of wing it.
 I have also used RMSS: Black OPs for a modern game with some T2000 vehicles and eqipment.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »
At the moment I'm playing a steam-fantasy campaign, in the past I've used RM rules to cross fantasy with Si-Fi (mixing RM and SM rules), run a couple of fantasy-pirates campaings, some Cthulhu dark ages adventures and things like that... Never really gone too far from fantasy, in the end
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
I have blended the Space Master and RM skills, rule sets and attack tables into my game.  I like it very much, but I do not always get to run adventures that cross over like that.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
I'm running a feudal japan campaign with cthulhu influences using RMFRP, Call of Cthulhu, and the Sengoku Rpg, and I have also created, and playtested, a post-apocalypse world using a mix of RMFRP and SM:P, with inspiration from various post apoc games like Aftermath, Pos-apocalyptic Hero, and such...

I'm working on ideas with playing a Cthulhu/Dreamlands/Pirate scenario using RMFRP and Pulp.

/ninja

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
I've played campaigns in historical settings : Irish clan wars, hundred years war, high middle ages. No magic at all. Worked marvelously well.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
Does anyone remember Twilight 2000?  I used RM2 rules and Weapon Law - Firearms to play T2K.  It was a lot of fun, but using these rules made firefights a really bad place to be.  Which was as it should be, but it was a good thing we didn't use RMSS rules because we went through a lot of characters.
There was no deity involved.  It was my cross-circuiting to B...

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
I play Sci-Fantasy, with some odd worlds and even odder concepts, it never seems to matter how odd it get's the rules keep on working which make me think they are as close to fisished as any game can be.

The only thing that would make me move from RM2_SM would be a much simpler system that worked as roundly and as well.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
The only thing that would make me move from RM2_SM would be a much simpler system that worked as roundly and as well.

That is exzatly why I like to play and use RMSS and SM:P because I have found that it is easy to adapt other material to it or shape your game by home rules for campaign. I do not use the combat system though so that is one part where I differ from the others.
 I also does take a little time to get all of the professions right in a RMSS and SM:P combo game but working that out can alos be fun to.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:21:59 AM »
At the moment I'm playing a steam-fantasy campaign, in the past I've used RM rules to cross fantasy with Si-Fi (mixing RM and SM rules), run a couple of fantasy-pirates campaings, some Cthulhu dark ages adventures and things like that... Never really gone too far from fantasy, in the end

If you haven't checked out The Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press - you should. It has some very cool steam-magic-tech stuff, like Warjacks. Very neat.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
If you haven't checked out The Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press - you should. It has some very cool steam-magic-tech stuff, like Warjacks. Very neat.

Thanks, I'll check it out  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »
I'm going to you use it to run Spelljammer from TSR.  I figure since I have to convert everything as I go anyway, I may as well fix one or two issues I have with the 'physics' of the setting while I'm at it.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:13:46 PM »

I used Rolemaster to do a one-shot Napoleonic game. The results are in ROCO IV section 7.7. It went pretty well but didn't generate enough interest to do a long term campaign. But a friend did do something similar, pre-Robin Hood, with a non-magic medieval game that went quite well.

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
As the title says. What have you done with Rolemaster that was out of the ordinary? There is a thread with people posting informations about their fantasy campaign, but have you tried something different? Something wild? Like steampunk, modern spy game, vampire game, etc. Something that is not vanilla fantasy.
I'm currently doing up an adventure in a low/poor magic pirate setting with blackpowder technology. It's a trial adventure to see how the players will like it. Not really out of the ordinary but it'll be a high fatality rating adventure if they don't be carefull.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
At the moment, I have an ear infection to worry about what I am doing to Rolemaster.  I think I could adapt it to the AD&D campaign setting Birthright.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 01:43:47 AM »
At the moment, I have an ear infection to worry about what I am doing to Rolemaster.  I think I could adapt it to the AD&D campaign setting Birthright.

If you come up with anything about it, I would very much love to hear it!  Personally, we essentially went with RM classes, banned the mentalist professions and ported the old bloodline rules directly, trying to adapt the system on an ad hoc basis.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
 A while back I also thought that Birthright would be easy to adapt but then I just designed my own world and imported stuff from various places.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline magritte@shaw.ca

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »
I've started running a game with weak magic and a strong historical flavor based on 7th century Rome (early Medieval, under Byzantine rule).  Its most unconventional aspect is probably the pervasive influence of religion, and the near-absence of non-human races. Currently, the players are investigating an assassination attempt on an abbot that they suspect is related to his doctrinal positions.

Rolemaster is a highly customizable system.  It's very easy to create new skills and eliminate core ones to suit the setting, to create new classes by assigning the skill points cost table and shuffling spell lists round.

Offline Lord_Kjeran

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Dark Lord of Isungsgardr
    • Polar Bear Dreams and Stranger Things
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
Chello!

Haven't done it yet, but I have an idea or two. 

The first idea is fairly vanilla: running TSR's Ravenloft setting using cartomancers and the like, downplaying the more flashy magic lists and possibly adding black powder firearms.  Also, focusing on light armor and weapons ala At Rapier's Point.

The other is to bring in some Spacemaster elements and run a Heavy Metal type game, based off of Din or and the last segment in the movie.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel

Q: GM, what is good?
A: To crush the PCs, see their character sheets pile before you, and hear the lamentation of their players.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »
We're doing Forgotten Realms, though I may change it to Greyhawk