Author Topic: Spellcasting 101  (Read 9259 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spellcasting 101
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:23 PM »
OK, so it has been awhile since I ran or played RM (FRP/SS) and I want to make sure that I have the spellcasting rules down, as they are a very important part of play.

When casting a spell do they:

A) Roll as spellcasting static maneuver, then roll either a BAR or EAR? or,

B) Roll either a spellcasting static maneuver or a BAR or EAR?

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Spellcasting 101
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »
A SCSM is only needed under certain circumstance.  Assuming success, then an EAR or BAR follow.

If no SCSM is required, just roll the EAR or BAR.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »
What are these "certain circumstances" you speak of? Like, being injured or casting a spell that is your level or higher?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »
I want to know what the "101 spell" is.  Is that Binary?  ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »
101 binary spell is the 5th level spell!!
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Fatman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:35 AM »

Only 10 people understand binary, those who do, and those who don't.
-= Don't mistake lack of talent for genious =-

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:09 AM »
What are these "certain circumstances" you speak of? Like, being injured or casting a spell that is your level or higher?

Casting a spell of higher level than the caster's, not having prepared the spell for the number of rounds required, wearing armor not allowed for the given realm etc., i.e. not fulfilling the requirements for automatic spell casting that are given in the rules for Spell Casting.

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:27:26 AM »

Only 10 people understand binary, those who do, and those who don't.

Awesome!!! Laugh point for you!
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 04:36:06 AM »
not having prepared the spell for the number of rounds required,

Where does it give the number of rounds needed to cast a spell.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 04:49:45 AM »
You can look at pages 46-47 of the RMFRP core manual, chapter 14.0 "Casting Spells", in the box called "Conditions required for automatic spell casting" is explained what you need to cast a spell without doing a SCSM.Table T-4.6 (Spell Casting Modifications Table) shows you what are the modifications to the SCSM if you prepare a spell for a given number of rounds.
As you can see from the table there is not a fixed number of rounds required to cast a spell:modifiers to the casting manuever depend on the caster level and on the level of the spell he wants to cast.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
A SCSM is only needed under certain circumstance.  Assuming success, then an EAR or BAR follow.

If no SCSM is required, just roll the EAR or BAR.

lynn

Spell casting still requires two rolls.  Even if you are automatically casting you still have to roll so that you don't fumble, i.e. spell casting without the math.  After that you roll the BAR/EAR.  On which you can also get a fumble result but I digress....

The copy with the SCSM chart lists the autocasting requirements.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
Do the RMSS rules really state that two rolls are required in that case MB?   

I recall looking it up once but don't remember what it said, I've always played with a single roll...but two different results.  So you roll, add in your bonus to see if the spell cast successfully, then you use the raw roll (with any applicable bonuses) for the BAR.     There's a problem with having two rolls as it greatly increases your chance of a failure which I don't think is very fair.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
Yes - pretty sure it states two rolls.  It does differentiate between an SCSM and auto-casting however.  We went round aroun about this a while ago as the description in the book is pretty vagure and we had to do a lot of interpreting via the charts.

Do you still use the same roll for directed spells?  While I agree it isn't fairl as you increase the chances of failure, as you can on the BAR & attack tables, aren't you also biasind it towards success as if you sucessfully cast a spell doesn't that imply a high roll translating to higher BAR results?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
Yes, we would use the same roll for directed spells as well.

I suppose it does bias it in those cases where you are at a minus on the SCSM roll.    As the penalty gets higher on that roll then so does your BAR.   Actually it's not really biasing it because you still have the same chance of success, it's just that if you do succeed it means the RR mod/attack roll/etc  will also be high.     That doesn't seem like such a terrible thing though.

Offline Salem

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell casting questions
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new to Rolemaster (but not to gaming) and I have a few questions regarding spell casting.

1. When determining if a spell requires a static spell casting maneuver, if any of the listed penalties apply, then a roll is required, even if the total modifiers are positive, correct?

2. When a spell caster uses a direct attack spell, I understand all the modifiers and usage of the combat table for the spell, but I'm a bit muddled over the use of the direct attack skill.  According to the skill explanation, "A character wishing to develop skill with such a spell must be able to cast it without the need of a spell casting static maneuver at least once a day, either intrinsically or from an item or runes." So how exactly does this apply?  Does this mean that a level 1 magician cannot cast the shock bolt spell?  It is level 2 (on the light law list) and he is level 1 (suggesting a penalty).

I'm still reading the rules but there is a lot to got through.  Any light that can be shed on my questions would help a lot!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Spell casting questions
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
I suspect you're playing RMSS or RMFRP from the details? (Version can affect answers)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Salem

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
RMFRP.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
1. When determining if a spell requires a static spell casting maneuver, if any of the listed penalties apply, then a roll is required, even if the total modifiers are positive, correct?

Yes even if your bonuses counter any penalties.  Similarly we still require a SCSM roll if the transcend armor skill negates any armor penalties - which we also apply to equipment worn penalties which is more of a house rule.

2. When a spell caster uses a direct attack spell, I understand all the modifiers and usage of the combat table for the spell, but I'm a bit muddled over the use of the direct attack skill.  According to the skill explanation, "A character wishing to develop skill with such a spell must be able to cast it without the need of a spell casting static maneuver at least once a day, either intrinsically or from an item or runes." So how exactly does this apply?  Does this mean that a level 1 magician cannot cast the shock bolt spell?  It is level 2 (on the light law list) and he is level 1 (suggesting a penalty).

We read it as a round about way of being same level as the spell as if you prep for two rounds there are no SCSM penalties.  So yes you can't take directed spell for a spell you can't cast yet.

For a follow up answer you can develop it if you had an item that cast a spell but GM's vary as to how you do this and how you many charges you may go through.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Mod hat on
Merged with Salem's spell casting question thread as they are about the same things.
Mod hat off

Offline Salem

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
Ok, so reading the above thread has been very helpful.  My understanding of the situation is:

If you can cast the spell automatically, you only need to roll on the Bolt attack table (or whatever attack table is relevant to the spell being used).  If you can't cast the spell automatically, you are required to make a "Spell Casting Static Maneuver" roll first, then (if successful) you roll the result on the Bolt attack table.

Say you can cast the spell automatically, but choose to cast it in a way that would require a SCSM roll... you can still do that, yes?

Using the level 1 Magician trying to cast the Shock Bolt spell from the Light Law base list (level 2 spell), if he only prepared the spell for 1 round, he would have to make a SCSM roll at -60 (and probably have the spell blow up in his face) and be successful before being allowed to actually make an attack roll.