Author Topic: Overcasting  (Read 3664 times)

Offline slutzinc

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Overcasting
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »
I've seen the term 'overcasting' being used to some extent here. I think I've gotten an understanding of what you mean, but the way people talk about overcasting, you make it sound like an official ruling. Now, I'm not an experienced player of RMSS, but I cannot for the life of me remember ever reading about it in RMSR or RMSL.

So, if you could please define exactly what overcasting means, and where I can find that rule, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Overcasting
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:10:43 AM »
I don't know whether "overcasting" is an official term in RMSS/RMFRP. But it generally describes casting spells of higher level than the caster's. For this the RMSS/RMFRP rules contain modifiers for the Spell Casting Maneuver in the Spell Casting Modifications Table T-4.6.

Offline slutzinc

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »
Finally! Thank you. I feel so stupid... I must have looked at that table I-don't-know-how-many times, and all I've ever focused on, was the penalty/bonus from preparation rounds.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
I don't know whether "overcasting" is an official term in RMSS/RMFRP. But it generally describes casting spells of higher level than the caster's. For this the RMSS/RMFRP rules contain modifiers for the Spell Casting Maneuver in the Spell Casting Modifications Table T-4.6.

It took us (including several experienced RM2 players) a while to figure that one out too.  It is another rule not specifically stated but implied by the SCSM chart.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:02:47 AM »
I'd like to mention about modifing the casting rules to allow specialization and increase the versatility for spell casters.

We know that non-spell users rapidly have their main skills with high bonus, but for spell casters this is different, for the SCSM problem. Usually players don't cast spells that requires SCSM, for 2 main reasons:

- It has double failure, the SCSM and the spell casting, and the SCSM failure is very much dangerous (for E spells is mortal), and dificult, because we need a result of 26+ and the low open-ended roll is 5 (as any other open-ended roll).
- In the case of SCSM failure, prepare yourself!, and there is few people that like to die by their own spell casting.

For this, I think it would be a good idea modify the SCSM and auto-casting rules. It is easy, I propose changing the "if there is no negative modifers" (see section 14.0 of RMFRP main book), for "if the total modifier is not negative".

Actually we apply this for 'trascend armor', but I think that expand this for all spell casting is better. This will allow real spell specialization, because there are talents that give you bonus to spell lists, and with skills 'magical language' and 'spell mastery' you can increase the spell list bonus too, as these skills are developed by single spell list, we are talking about real specialization.

So, if you are specialized in 'telekinesis' you can move heavier objects than a non-specialized one, because you can use higher level spells of that list.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
Dark Schneider - the only problem I have with that is that it is possible to overcast a few levels, prepare a long time and use both ends and shout and get no penalty.  In fact an Essence user can overcast 4 levels on one of his own base lists without penalty given the time to prepare.

I think RMSS did a great job with the Spell Casting rules and is one of those big improvements it got right from RM2, but I would prefer to chop off that chart and not allow such big bonuses for extra preparing time -I'd stop it at 3 (allowing 1 extra round over a class III spell).     In combat the extra prep time is a deal-killer and never used, but out of combat the prep time is meaningless so utility/informational spells are cast readily (and also have a far less chance of a damaging spell failure)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00:10 AM »
I am agree with that, but I am agree too that non-combat spells usually don't unbalance the game, so what's the problem of casting an information spell 4-5 levels over the caster level?.

For non-combat spell, I think is much more worrying the 'magic ritual' than 'overcasting', is very more cheapier and wide, adding that for non-combat spells the casting time loss importance...

In the other hand, remember that this is not for free, for having a high spell list skill bonus, character needs to spend lots of DPs (who likes that?) in skills and talents, for a result that allows you to overcast about 5-7 levels over your own level, because then the penalty increases much (very much).

Of course, this should be used in game to try it, but I am 70% sure that it can works and spell-users players can enjoy it. It could be a good aid for begin that all of GMs talk about this to their players and expose their answer, how they see and wants to modify their characters, if are interested, etc.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »
I also don't think that a little overcasting of non-combat spells will not hurt too much. At least this is the experience that we made. OTOH I don't see why this should be made easier by not requiring an SCSM roll if the modifications total >= 0. I think it's quite OK if there is a double chance for failure in such cases.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I'd agree with that completely only by modifing 1 skill, if 'magical language' is not restricted, because really is the only way to increase bonus in spell lists (+3 per rank). At least for pure and hybrid spell users.

So, if with this we can have greater spell lists bonus, then I see no problem in rolling SCSMs because is well balanced the risk-advantage.