Author Topic: Blur scaling  (Read 3474 times)

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Blur scaling
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »
I just have a small rule question about the blur spell which read:
"Causes caster?s form to appear blurred,
granting +10 to DB. This also provides a +5 bonus to Stalk
& Hide Maneuvers.
Increase Blur (per +5 increase) +3 PP"

Does the +5 bonus increase when scaling apply both to DB and stalk/hide?

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Blur scaling
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
By the text I would rule "Yes". I seems logical that you are even harder to see the more you scale the spell up, probably reaching something close to invisibility with enough power invested. (Similar to the elves in Eoin Colfer's books, shimmering or vibrating at very high frequency, too fast for the human eye.)
However, compared to bless for example it would be a +5 to only one of the two, and you decide which one you want to scale. Probably should be my last thought as the scaling option would be too cheap and too powerful if my first thought was used.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
IMO it applies to both DB and Stalk/Hide...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:03:58 PM »
By the text I would rule "Yes". I seems logical that you are even harder to see the more you scale the spell up, probably reaching something close to invisibility with enough power invested. (Similar to the elves in Eoin Colfer's books, shimmering or vibrating at very high frequency, too fast for the human eye.)
However, compared to bless for example it would be a +5 to only one of the two, and you decide which one you want to scale. Probably should be my last thought as the scaling option would be too cheap and too powerful if my first thought was used.
I agree that it should affect both, but also that it makes the scaling option perhaps a little cheap. One solution would be to rule that the stalk/hide bonus was half the DB. So scaling twice would result in +20DB and +10stalk/hide. A simple +3PP scale would result in +10DB and +8stalk/hide.

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »
Hmm... It is STALK and hide. The Blur would only apply to the hiding part not the sneaking up on someone without making too much noise. Even with camouflage, you are easy to see moving up on someone out in the open - blur or no blur - so stalking is more about moving slow, not making noise and making good use of blocking cover.  Blur doesn't hide noise or help you pick the right angle to get the most out of cover. So I would tend to agree with bunny - half blur DB to stalk/hide. And I wouldn't strongly argue against a ruling that said no more than +5 period - regardless of the additional DB scaling.

Robin
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:01 AM »
How about no bonus to Stalk...just to Hide and /or DB? That would take Stalk out of the picture.
I would allow the scaling bonuses to apply to both Hide and DB, but no bonus to Stalk.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:08:40 AM »
Works for me.
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with +5 to DB/hide and then just have a fixed bonus to stalking of +5.