Author Topic: New forum member looking for advice and suggestions.  (Read 7376 times)

Evildead

Re: New forum member looking for advice and suggestions.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
Well so far Firearms Law is leaving me with more questions than answers, such as..................

Are PC's still able to parry missile attacks if they have suitable terrain and 50% activity left to do it? Also on page 13 of Firearms Law it shows type of cover and lists tables 1-29 with diffrent bonus's under each table, for example (full soft cover - table 1-6 +50, table 7-12 +40, table 13-18 +30 and so on).  What do the diffrent tables mean?

Two pistols, same target, -20 OB off hand.

Two targets, -20 right hand, -40 off hand.  Each additional target shot at, cumalative -20 mod.

lynn

I'm assuming that is for a character using TWC skill. But with 2 pistols against the same target why would he receive a -20 OB with his off hand? If the character had TWC he would only suffer a -20 to off hand penalties if it was not a specific weapon developed for that specific hand. Against 2 opponents according to TWC you would suffer -20 to both attacks and could only attack 2 opponents if neither one was receiving a positional modifier.

Also what if the character just has 1 pistol (Colt Navy), I'm assuming he is allowed to make 3 single shots, are they allowed to be against 3 seperate targets? What if 2 of those targets are receiving positional modifers? 

Evildead

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
Figured out what the diffrent tables mean for cover.....it's for ME........D'OH. Still could use answers for the rest though.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:02 PM »
Three shots against three foes is fine.  I add a penalty of -20 per target after the first (-20, then -40 for the third shot at a new target).  Changing targets on the fly like that is difficult.

Yes, even with normal 2wpn combo, the off hand recieves a -20 mod, unless ambidextrous.

You can allow guns to shoot at targets with positional mods.  At first I assigned a penalty equal to 2x position mod, but after play testing reduced it to a penalty equal to position mod (-15 for flank, -20 for rear).  Shooters can spin around and shoot without changing facing, but they suffer the penalty for doing so.

Bullets cannot be parried.  Only cover and Qu bonus count, possibly superior armor.  There is a talent in Pulp Adventures that allows firearms to be parried.  OTOH, a fellow GM allows parry if you have cover, up to the covers value (which is simular to the rules for cover DB versus supression fire, i.e. the cover value is doubled).  It did not unbalance the game.  Charging 50% activity sounds a good idea, as this will reduce the amount of firepower that can put down range, while having the advantage of increasing DB.  Still, one three round burst at 50% will only suffer a -10 OB penalty and do shrapenel crits.  Nasty stuff.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Evildead

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
I'm starting to think that I should place the campaign in the late 18th century. There are firearms but since they would only be matchlock or flintlock it would make everything really simple.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 06:16:24 PM »
Bah, an easier answer is simply limit the initial choices available in a melee round. 

Besides, inorder for a player to do most of this fancy stuff, they have to declare their intent and targets at the beginning of the round.  Even react and melee normally results in one attack, though with firearms, one attack canbe a burst, a double tap, empty the mag, etc.

What I did was make a list of available shot mnvs with activity requirements next to them and hand it out to the players.  Your list could be single shot, burst, empty gun, double tap, suppression fire and aimed burst.  Now the players know their options and will do most of the work for you.

On having a dual pistol weilding shootist...you may want to say this is your first time using firearm rules and want to acquaint yourself with the rules and prefer that option not be taking at this time.  Be diplomatic...and hope for a high influence roll!

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Evildead

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 07:44:37 PM »
LOL...thanks mate more for the advice.

Evildead

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »
Well ran a session last night for my friends (3 member party) using my campaign setting, you were not kidding about how brutal firearms can be. Only 1 PC lived thru the session and that was with it toned down and the use of Fate Points too. All 3 asked if we could play in a traditional fantasy setting again, I guess I'll have to treat this setting as a side project. Guess I'm going to try and convert Conan's Hyboria to RM for the main campaign, Maybe do a urban theme placed in Shadizar.

Thanks again for the advice on firearms that I received on this thread.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
Well ran a session last night for my friends (3 member party) using my campaign setting, you were not kidding about how brutal firearms can be. Only 1 PC lived thru the session and that was with it toned down and the use of Fate Points too. All 3 asked if we could play in a traditional fantasy setting again, I guess I'll have to treat this setting as a side project. Guess I'm going to try and convert Conan's Hyboria to RM for the main campaign, Maybe do a urban theme placed in Shadizar.

Thanks again for the advice on firearms that I received on this thread.

One thing is to introduce stunners into the game and that will help a lot. Also players have to get used to hiding or searching for cover instaed of sitting in the middle of the street and blazinf away.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »
All 3 asked if we could play in a traditional fantasy setting again, ...

Sorry to hear that.

Does it means RM (with Pulp Fiction or Firearms) isn't up to the task for a CoC campaign ?
I thought the deadliness would be the same. (OK, parrying is harder.)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Evildead

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 10:48:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Does it means RM (with Pulp Fiction or Firearms) isn't up to the task for a CoC campaign ?
I thought the deadliness would be the same. (OK, parrying is harder.)

I think it was very much up to the task.....granted it was my first time using Firearms with RM, but I thought the use of firearms with the RM rules and those from the Firearms rulebook were good. However adding firearms to the mix really does up the danger level from the usual tactical round.

Shrapnel crits are horrifying, as my one friend found out, if the crit doesn't get you the blood loss from the wound surely will. LOL.....I sat and watched them try and stop the 10 hits per round he was losing til he was finally dead (he used his fate point right before that).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
 In general I generally had out 5 fate points to players. If they only had 1 it is very difficult but then in a CoC game the game will get you in the end no matter what.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.