Author Topic: New forum member looking for advice and suggestions.  (Read 7374 times)

Evildead

New forum member looking for advice and suggestions.
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
Hi all. New to the forums but have been playing RM since 1993. Got into RM via Cyberspace and MERP, I love the complexity and detail that the system provides. Not exactly sure why I never bothered to join the boards, but I'm here now.

Anyway, I usually GM for traditional low magic fantasy settings but am now redirecting my GM'ing into another area. I'm getting ready to start a long campaign set in the United States during the mid to late 19th century. The PC's are agents in a secret agency created by the Masons and funded by the Goverment to seek out and destroy enemies of the state and the paranormal.

First question for you all is what would you do for characters that choose a profession which gives a bonus to Armor Category. Would you reapply that bonus to Athletics or maybe just let the players decide where they want it? Love to know what you think, just can't see a bonus in Armor doing any good seeing the time period it is set in.

Second, recently I created a house rule that doesn't allow the development of adrenal moves. Mainly to speed up combat and secondly to  encourage PC's to spend more points on skills not related to combat. Interested if anyone else does this and how they like it.

Third, just bought the Firearms Law PDF and was curious to see how others like it. If anyone can give me some insight on what rules they like,dislike and/or have changed, I'd love to know. Anything constructive will be of great use to me.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New forum member looking for advice and suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »
Which version of RM, are you using?
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Evildead

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
Using RMFRP

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
 If you can find them I woudl  pick up Black OP's as it has some modern profession that may help a lot. Also Pulp Adventures has some others that you can use with some rules for a more pulp campain. Another option is to get SM:P and use some of the profession from thier as they have a more modern feel as well as great rules for PSI stuff.

I use AL:F quite a bit and love it.

As to armor I would leave it like it is and not change anything. And in the past I have restricted the use of adrenals to people who would have them. that is to say everyone and thier goat cannot buy them just because they want to.

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Evildead

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »
I may look for Black Ops and Pulp Adventures for future campaign ideas, but they sound too modern for 19th century firearm combat. Campaign is strictly set for 1866-to late 1800's. As to the Armor category bonus, you don't feel that the players are getting short changed for a bonus they are likely never to use?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
Pulp adventures is MADE for games set in mid 19th century and turn of the century settings.  You will find many useful rules, from professions and cultures to talents and gear plus list of equipment and weapons proper for the age you have selected.

I have used Firearms Law quite a bit.  Very nice, and if the ME tables used are kept below 12, with more typical being ME 3-8, a suitable deadlyness balances with playability.

With semi auto weapons, players will be able to fire multiple shots a round and at multiple targets.  For example, three single shots at 40%, 30% and 30%, or two singles at 50% and 50%, etc.  Full auto, double taps, supression fire and aimed burst can amp up damage and options.  I have NOT had any problems using the standard shot options in the Firearms book, but you may want to create a small table showing what shot options are available with activity requirements and the like, copy it and make it into a hand out, unless you have several copies of Firearms Law.  This will speed combat up nicely.

This should be obvious, but...GUNS ARE DANGEROUS.  Players need to take cover, or they WILL get hurt, bad.  The Balistic Puncture crit Table is nasty, but nothing compared to the Balistic Shrapnel Crit Table, which on an 01-05 on an E will destroy a hand and make it useless until skilled surgery can be performed on it.  As players learn the ins and outs of firearms crits, they WILL respond by trying to put as many bullets in a foe as fast as they can, uping crits from balistic punture to shrapnel.

I added one house rule the book doesn't cover; listed dameage on the tables is 1/2 damage for single shots and listed damage for any form of auto fire.

Shotguns are horribly dangerous with shot at close range.  Seems obvious, but just wait till you shoot a PC with a high SG and get a good roll...splat.  

I have ran semi mystical games too, and shamans can hand out neat charms and the like, or PC's can recieve blessings, etc.  A charm that subtracts 20 hits from all blows and burns out after 100 hits can be captured from a foe, handed out by a shaman, etc.  There are lots of small, neat little things you can add to the game.  Keep them secret, and make sure they have a limited life span, or need some sort of recharging the player iknows nothing about.  

A few optional rules I have used for special creatures; ignoring all hits from attack tables and only sufferiing hits delivered from crits.  Fate or luck points.  A creature only hurt by "living" weapons, i.e. hands or wood, etc.  I remember after telling Scott his first blast from his shotgun did nothing but the second one that blasted the door frame sent splinters flying that ripped open gashes on the monsters face started a race for the table legs!  Have fun with it, and DO throw in the unexspected.

To keep things really simple, I use generic skills in the weapon catagories rather than individual weapons.  So one hand edge has small and large blades for skills, one hand projectile has muskets, revolvers and clip pistols, etc.  This will free up dev for the much heavier load of skills players will want/need in a modern setting, and keeps things simple.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Evildead

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
Just looked up Pulp Adventures and it definitely looks like that could be of some help in my campaign, Thanks for the advice.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
Professions in Pulp Adventures do not get armor cat bonuses, unless I mis remember.

Allow them to be reassigned.  SHouldnt hurt.  I shift my prof bonuses all the time in RM.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Evildead

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
I'm allowing the PC's alot more leniency in talents allowed from Character Law now in this campaign. Just to try and help alleviate some of the issues on how dangerous firearms can make life. For instance one of the players has Regeneration along with a Constitution of a 101, needless to say his down time due to injury will be almost non exsistent. Normally I wouldn't have allowed such a talent to be picked.

Thanks again for your sound advice.

Evildead

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »
Hopefully this next question can be answered on this thread w/o having to start a new thread. Looking at the Firearms Law book it says that the stat bonus for the use of firearms comes from Ag/Ag/St, does anyone besides myself not understand why the St stat would be used to factor the bonus for said weapons? I'd have thought maybe SD would have been a better choice instead of St. Curious to see what others think.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:20:39 AM »
 You need St to hold the weapon on target while fireing.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Evildead

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:50:27 AM »
You need St to hold the weapon on target while fireing.

MDC

Granted, but Self Discipline is also referred to as concentration. I would think that concentration would trump strength for the 3rd stat used in figuring out the skill bonus for firearms. Just don't see how strength could come into play when dealing with a pistol that only weights 2-3lbs.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 07:59:37 AM »
For weapons with a ME of 5 or less, I have used Ag/Ag/Ag.  Being hopelessly flexible and a sucker believer in character concept, I have also mod'ed catagory mods to Ag/St/In, Ag/Ag/In, Ag/Ag/Sd, St/St/St for melee, and other combinations.  When I allowed the St/St/St for one hand concussion, it was for a half troll type character that took a lesser giantism (+10 OB, -10DB, reduce crits by I) and could not picture Krelj being agile at all (temp/pot of 20/61), nor relying on agility to land a blow.

Flexibility rocks, but when it confers an advantage, try to find a way to balance it out.

lynn

Evildead

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
I have a player that wants to use two Colt six-shooters with the two weapon combat skill. In your experience does this create an unbalance. I'm forseeing alot of headaches when keeping track of all the PC actions. Sorry for so many questions,just new to the whole use of firearms from a GM perspective.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »
Two weapon firearms is powerful.  Use all the normal two weapon rules AND an additional -20 per target change, cumalative..

Shooting one target a lot...easy...two targets, hard...several targets over three phases (potentially up to six singleshots, or four double taps, etc), sheer folly.

I'm at work, so I dont have time to write an example.

lynn

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
For armor, I would also leave it.  Depending on what you actually are doing you might not be up against firearms and breastplates might come in handy.  You also still have some sword use.

Our of curiousity - why 1866?  Sounds CoCish with perhaps a little Nephilim?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 04:59:46 PM »
 I can also sasy from a SM:P game that Agx3 can be very powerful as 1 player had an Ag bonusof 20+. ie, I have 1 rank in the cat and skill and an OB of over 60! If you spread out the stats this can help a little in preventing that sort of problem and is why I keeped it as it is.
 Also as a GM try and look for ways for your ruleings to be broken by players or figure out teh max benifit that can be achieved by a player with a change you make.
MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Evildead

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »
For armor, I would also leave it.  Depending on what you actually are doing you might not be up against firearms and breastplates might come in handy.  You also still have some sword use.

Our of curiousity - why 1866?  Sounds CoCish with perhaps a little Nephilim?

Well I've been GM'ing now for about 20 years and in that time have basically played the fantasy genre to death. Recently I have been writing and loved the idea so much that I wanted to see it played out in a RP'ing environment. It definitely has a Call of Cthulhu feel to it or a Robert Howard Pulp atmosphere with a mix of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy, Wild Wild West, and Briscoe County Jr. (w/o the humor).

Originally I was going to place the setting in the mid to late 18th century to simplify the use of firearms and make melee weapons still prevalent, but more ideas seem to flow for a 19th century setting. The Southern Reconstruction period and the Image of the west at the time just seems to spring lots of ideas for me.

However, after reading Firearms Law I'm starting to wonder if it's wise to place the campaign in an era that doesn't use matchlock or flintlock weapons exclusively. I'm so used to attacks taking a minimum of 60%. Now it can be 30% with firearms allowing 3 attacks in 1 round and that is for a PC without Two Weapon Combat skill. I'm still assuming that all 3 attacks must be directed to the same target as stated in the RM rules, unless of course he/she has TWC and then in that case it can be used against 2 opponents. If that is wrong please let me know.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
 Remember it is your game so you can change the weapons, % activity ect to make it work.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:44 AM »
Two pistols, same target, -20 OB off hand.

Two targets, -20 right hand, -40 off hand.  Each additional target shot at, cumalative -20 mod.

lynn