Author Topic: Seeming memories/Copy experience  (Read 3728 times)

Offline pema

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Seeming memories/Copy experience
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Copy Experience spell in Enchanter base list Seeming Memories has rather unclear limitation, which does not much make sense. I have seen some rulings in the net but those do really answer much.

So if caster gets 1% of experience of target per round, that would be minimum of 100 xp per round (for level 1 target). But is maximum is level times 10, the maximum would be 10 xp for level 1 target. What is the point of having multiple round duration anyway? As has been pointed out, casting the spell would gain more xp just be itself, if the maximum is so low.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Seeming memories/Copy experience
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:37:23 AM »
You've got the RMSS version of Mentalism Companion. The Editor at the time took it upon himself to add some extra sentences to several spells on that list.

The original manuscript and the RMFRP version (where the new ICE did their best to put the text back to its original intent) says the following:
12 Remove Experience: The caster can remove one thought or memory from the target's mind each round.

14 Copy Experience: Caster can copy one thought or memory from the target into his own mind each round.

19 Implant Experience: As Copy Experience, except the caster can copy one thought or memory from his mind into the mind of the target.

There's no mucking about with meta-game concepts such as experience points and level.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pema

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:21:46 AM »
You've got the RMSS version of Mentalism Companion. The Editor at the time took it upon himself to add some extra sentences to several spells on that list.

The original manuscript and the RMFRP version (where the new ICE did their best to put the text back to its original intent) says the following:
12 Remove Experience: The caster can remove one thought or memory from the target's mind each round.

14 Copy Experience: Caster can copy one thought or memory from the target into his own mind each round.

19 Implant Experience: As Copy Experience, except the caster can copy one thought or memory from his mind into the mind of the target.

There's no mucking about with meta-game concepts such as experience points and level.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Quite understandable to change back, though that RMSS version was one of the reasons to select Enchanter as class. Half of the Enchanter lists are useless - Seeming Defences, Seeming Enhancement & Seeming Law. I would guess the editor had some other intent still than what is written in book. What might that be?

How long can a memory copied or removed be, and is that loss in any way recoverable? And what is a memory here anyway as an example?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »
Quite understandable to change back, though that RMSS version was one of the reasons to select Enchanter as class. Half of the Enchanter lists are useless - Seeming Defences, Seeming Enhancement & Seeming Law.

They are intended as mental invisibility and illusions. They can be very useful but it depends on the game.

I would guess the editor had some other intent still than what is written in book. What might that be?

No idea. If you mean "were bits added or subtracted from them as well?", I'd have to do a line-by-line comparison to check. It's been a very long time since I wrote Mentalism Companion.

How long can a memory copied or removed be, and is that loss in any way recoverable? And what is a memory here anyway as an example?

An example memory might be witnessing someone sneaking into the merchant's warehouse, a conversation, etc. GM's discretion as to how long they believe is reasonable

The loss is not normally recoverable. Again, GM's may rule that sufficiently powerful spells might be able to rectify a target's memory.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pema

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »
Half of the Enchanter lists are useless - Seeming Defences, Seeming Enhancement & Seeming Law.

They are intended as mental invisibility and illusions. They can be very useful but it depends on the game.

One target only usually and RR. Closed Essence lists are usually better.

I would guess the editor had some other intent still than what is written in book. What might that be?

No idea. If you mean "were bits added or subtracted from them as well?", I'd have to do a line-by-line comparison to check. It's been a very long time since I wrote Mentalism Companion.

No I  meant that what was the meaning of that addition/limitation since it does not make sense as written.

An example memory might be witnessing someone sneaking into the merchant's warehouse, a conversation, etc. GM's discretion as to how long they believe is reasonable

The loss is not normally recoverable. Again, GM's may rule that sufficiently powerful spells might be able to rectify a target's memory.

Thanks, that helps.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »
Half of the Enchanter lists are useless - Seeming Defences, Seeming Enhancement & Seeming Law.

One target only usually and RR. Closed Essence lists are usually better.

I don't think that they are better, Enchanter's lists are just more specialized (plus all spells in Seeming Defences give a -50 mod to RR, which mean that the target will have trouble resisting). There are cases in which it's better to have an illusion/invisibility affect only your enemies or only one individual.
Also remember that the Enchater have Spell Mastery as an Everyman skill (so he can easly add new targets to his spells) and that he's a Hybrid Essence/Mentalism which means that he have access to closed Essence lists at low cost, if he wants to develop them.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.